newbie here needs serious help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a good close-up look at my feral boy and he definitely looks like an unneutered tom. Will pick up a trap tomorrow and see if I can get him trapped and vetted/neutered if need be. He is all black and not all that big, but has that big head. The weather here is still warm so he should be able to recuperate in my garage without freezing.

He is a character and I'm wondering if he's the reason Lucy has not been back. He definitely considers this his territory!

Still miss my girl and wish she'd at least let me know she's okay. Maybe with time . . .

catmom5

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Taking care of these guys is so much harder than my rescue indoor cats . . . so much we can't control! And I love them just as much.
catmom5
You got that right :lol3: SO TRUE!!!!!!! We always are saying on here that the inside kitties are so much less worrisome than the outside feral cats that we care for. No control to keep them safe and sound.

I got a good close-up look at my feral boy and he definitely looks like an unneutered tom. Will pick up a trap tomorrow and see if I can get him trapped and vetted/neutered if need be. He is all black and not all that big, but has that big head. The weather here is still warm so he should be able to recuperate in my garage without freezing.

He is a character and I'm wondering if he's the reason Lucy has not been back. He definitely considers this his territory!

Still miss my girl and wish she'd at least let me know she's okay. Maybe with time . . .
catmom5
Much luck with trapping this male kitty. He must be older and full grown since he has the big head and large cheeks. Tom cat, he is!!!!!!!!!!! :vibes::vibes:

More of these tonight too for Lucy :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hope she shows herself to you soon. She might be staying away due to this tom cat :nod:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wish me luck catching Tommy (hey,  what else could I name him?). I will set the trap up tonight and hope that he's hungry!

Still no Lucy . . . sigh.

catmom5

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hint for trapping, may be especially useful for a Tom cat:  what ever bait you're using, add some catnip.  It has helped me trap an especially difficult to trap calico.

I trapped last weekend, new colony, though one that had seen some traps set out by animal control.  Put catnip in the bait, trapped seven cats (5 male, 2 female, one of which was pregnant).

Good vibes....

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, all of you who are experienced with our outdoor kitties - Tommy hasn't been here in a couple of days. Is it unusual (or normal) for them to hang out in other places and not come to eat when it's warm and hunting is good? Lucy has not been around either. I've decided to feed in an unset trap for a few days and see if I can help Tommy feel comfortable eating in there before I set it. He's an outside survivor and very smart, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am experiencing the same thing right now. I have 2 females that I have been caring for. One has been missing for a week. The other one I still see everyday, and I am just so worried. I had been planning on retrapping them and relocating them, I am just praying she is still around.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES YES.... absolutely. In fact, I have not seen any of my feral kitties in well over a week or more :eek:. I know Laurie was saying the same thing. This is very typical, especially in the warmer weather. You will find that in the summer month's food will sometimes just NOT get eaten. Well.... the raccoons and opossums will eat it :lol3: I am sure Tommy will be back. I do suggest tying up the trap door for a day or so. Then the cat will be very comfortable going in and out of the trap. Won't suspect a thing on trap day. Keep us posted !!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read/heard that when the warmer weather arrives, the cats leave, at least, the ones experienced with hunting on their own.  Food is more plentiful in the summer (birds, mice).

At least, that's what I hope happened to your Tommy and Lucy, and my Kimba (male, neutered) who curled up on my lap recently.

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks - although I suspect Lucy is keeping her distance from the "crazy lady who took me inside"! We have a cool down predicted for later this weekend so I'll keep feeding in the unset trap and hope I can get Tommy before long.

I so appreciate you all being here and sharing your experiences. I've done inside rescue for a very long time, but my first experience with a feral was not a good one. He ended up being PTS on the advice of the rescue who was going to relocate to a managed colony (he was positive for both FIV and FeLeuk). Wish I could have a "do-over" on that, too. Lucy was my second attempt . . . hope things go better for Tommy. At least, with Tommy, I'm not even thinking socializing and moving indoors.

Anyway, will keep you posted.

catmom5

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks - although I suspect Lucy is keeping her distance from the "crazy lady who took me inside"! We have a cool down predicted for later this weekend so I'll keep feeding in the unset trap and hope I can get Tommy before long.
I so appreciate you all being here and sharing your experiences. I've done inside rescue for a very long time, but my first experience with a feral was not a good one. He ended up being PTS on the advice of the rescue who was going to relocate to a managed colony (he was positive for both FIV and FeLeuk). Wish I could have a "do-over" on that, too. Lucy was my second attempt . . . hope things go better for Tommy. At least, with Tommy, I'm not even thinking socializing and moving indoors.
Anyway, will keep you posted.
catmom5
MORE :vibes::vibes::vibes: For Tommy's trapping.... I think just getting him TNRd IS the way to go. They don't all have to be "socialized" and if they are older - it can be a very long, arduos, stressful process with serious implications on the cat himself IF they just cannot under any circumstances be in close proximity of humans. No matter how long we try, sometimes it is impossible. He will have you to care for him outside and he will be happy with that life. It is all he knows anyway :hugs:

Sorry about your last feral cat.... :sniffle: Yes - most rescues always euthanize FeLK positive kitties - unless they have a quarantine area for positive kitties. It is alright :alright: You got that cat off the streets and stopped the spread of Feline Leukemia - it is very contagious. Not FIV though - that should never be a death sentence. But when they come back positive for FeLK - most are humanely euthanized :shame: :vibes:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have thunderstorms moving through (I'm in Michigan) - please reassure me that my ferals will find a safe, dry spot to ride them out. (They can move into their shelters, but don't know if that will happen.) Still haven't seen either in several days.

catmom5

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Passing along reassurance :clap:..... Don't worry :) The feral cat's have all sorts of places to hold up during storms. More than you or I will ever know. I worry too during storms but have learned over the years that they know how to stay safe almost better than we do :lol2: Smart kitties they are and know how to survive all storms. Heck :lol3: they even know when the storms :storm: are coming before the weather forecasters :rofl:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tommy was here tonight, but wouldn't eat the wet food placed at the opening of the unset trap. I put a couple of boards over the trap to make it more private and will try again tomorrow.
catmom5

iris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catmom, I sure know what you mean about not being able to control. I know a trapper who simply will not work to socialize a feral cat after 8-10 weeks old. Sometimes a cat who has been on it's own for awhile but started out tame can be worked with. What happens is you bring in a feral to work with it..try for awhile then you realize it cannot be done and let them out or they get out. By then they may have forgotten their hidey holes and how to survive and it put them in more danger than you planned.

For me the way I think about it is this..as humans we have our own idea of what is happiness and a good quality life for a cat. Sometimes the cat has other ideas and who are we to impose all that stress on a animal who wants his own life? Neutering them and seeing they eat, provide a shelter if we can is about all we can really do for a feral cat. My heart was broken when my first ferals didn't last a year..I believe the coyotes got them..but they were fed and not breeding. I did my best. Their are not enough homes for cats who are socialized..and even kittens. Hundreds of thousands are euthanized every year..that's why I am insane for TNR'ing when I can get the time. I am at peace in my heart about those I had to let go back out because there is really nothing else that can be done. I have had people call me about neutered cats that are semi-feral that show up on their property. I have had to explain that a semi-feral cat taken to a shelter will be euthanized..who wants to adopt a unfriendly cat when there are dozens of sweet friendly ones? I tell them to please just let them stay and feed them..Some people think I am the kitty fairy..sorta reminds me of that movie "The green mile" where they had that convict convinced that Mr Jingles the mouse was going to be in a circus for talented mice. There is no magic fairy land I can take unwanted cats to.

I used to watch my ferals play in the ravine area I fed them and they seemed happy..at least they weren't hungry when they died.

Oh yah..a unneutred male missing this time of year is most likely off chasing girls. I thought females had a bad life litter after litter..males also have horrid lives..they have to fight and defend their territory and they get absesses..and they will travel miles if they get a smell of a female in  heat. If they are neutered they usually just get fat and happy..lol

I have shed a few tears over my lost ferals..but I know I did my best. It's such a rotten thing people don't neuter their animals..humans have caused it and only we can fix it. I know your heart was so in the right place with Lucy. She is most likely out there having fun somewhere. Her idea of fun..not yours.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catmom,

Last year when Washington, DC had about six inches of rain, the cats stayed near the building behind a bush.  The ground--and them--stayed dry.  So, yes, cats are very savy when it comes to hiding places

Two years ago, my friend rescued four semi-feral cats, they were approximately four to five months old.  She socialized them; I helped.  Ripley and Riley took six months before they were ready to be placed into Forever Homes (bonded pair, they were adopted together).

Taz took a little less than one month.

Ritz took about a month.  She sleeps with me and she seems to be addicted to belly rubs.

(These cats survived a 20 inch snow storm.)

A year ago, same friend trapped "Mystique" to TNR, she was pregnant, but we don't know how old she was.  Six months?  We decided to try to socialize her given her age.  That was almost a year ago, and she still won't let us pet her.  We will probably return her to the colony where she was trapped (I take care of this colony).  She is a cat happier outside.

My point is every cat is different.  Every.  You do the best you can, and be satisfied with that. 

I read something beautiful, along the lines of:  when a animal Rescuer crosses over, all the animals that were no adopted into a Forever Home are waiting for him/her.  When the Rescuer crosses the Bridge, all the animals can then cross over with her/him and be happy, joyous and free.  That is the final privilege afforded Rescuers.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tommy was here tonight, but wouldn't eat the wet food placed at the opening of the unset trap. I put a couple of boards over the trap to make it more private and will try again tomorrow.
catmom5
One of our veteran member's who has many years experience trapping told me a great suggestion for the trap to make it more appealing. If you can get a hold of a large dog food bag (empty - that had kibbles in it) Slide the trap inside of this bag. Makes it dark, secure, safe and smells good too. It really does work - I have used this technique as well. She also suggested if all else fails using a mirror (outside of the trap) so when the cat starts to sniff in front of the trap - he will see the cat in the mirror (himself) and it might make him more motivated to get that food fast BEFORE that other cat does. I have not used this method only because I feel that IF the cat is timid and unassertive - the reflection of another cat might just scare him off - for good. But I would try the large dog food bag. Take some tuna juice and drizzle in in front of the trap door and inside the trap leading to the "prize" at the end of the trap. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. What happens is you bring in a feral to work with it..try for awhile then you realize it cannot be done and let them out or they get out. By then they may have forgotten their hidey holes and how to survive and it put them in more danger than you planned.
Hun..... I do not agree that a feral cat "forgets" his wild roots and survival instinct if they are released back outdoors from a failed attempt at socialization. Even if it has been month's. They are just so grateful to be returned back outdoors to the only life they know. Once released and within minutes, they are back in their element. It is like they were freed from prison. They will not forget how to survive out there. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support. I would have felt awful if I thought that by keeping Lucy inside that it would have caused her any distress. She surely was happy to be back outside to her territory, although I sure would feel a lot better if I could see her and see for myself that she's safe and sound. Hopefully, with time . . .

Now about Tommy . . . he was hanging around here for a while tonight but again wasn't even interested in going near the food, outside of the trap. I think the dog food bag idea is a good one and will have to figure out how to get such a bag to try. In the meantime, since I borrowed the trap from the humane society (they loan them out for TNR) I wondered if Tommy can smell other cats on the trap and that's why he's avoiding the area. I may just put the trap in the garage tonight and see if he comes to eat in the next couple of days without it there. He's a smart boy, really street smart and very cautious. (However, I got a good look at him and he looks so much better than he did 6 months ago when I started feeding him)

Also, I'm going away for spring break and my pet sitter will be putting out food and water, but not trying to trap Tommy.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

As always, thanks so very much! I can't tell you how much help you all have been throughout this whole experience.

catmom5

Last edited: