Newbie - balancing a raw diet

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Newbie to raw feeding so please excuse the "stupid/silly question" :)

I'm venturing into raw, and have recently picked up some local raw cat food, which is prepared turkey and organs. They come in 4 oz chunks, which I understand would be a good daily amount to start for an indoor cat. I know this isn't balanced, just the turkey and organs. However if I add a chicken wing as a separate meal, is this now complete?

The day would look like this:

Breakfast: 2 oz of turkey and organ

Dinner: 1 chicken wing (or neck)

Is this balanced or am I missing anything? Do I need to add/supplement this? Is this too little of an amount for a daily plan?

I've read through the articles and I am overwhelmed so it'll take a while to understand all the percentages and dietary needs!

I'm a very busy person, so I'm trying to make this work - easy for me, yet budget friendly, and balanced for kitty :)

Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never a silly or stupid question, EVER!!! ;) :D I only fed commercially made raw food to my cats so never had to balance out the diet. It was just easier for me to go the route and I was too unsure of myself preparing my own raw meals. I know it can be daunting to do so in the beginning but once you establish a routine, have all the proper supplements and balancing components, then it goes fairly smoothly as long as kitty will readily eat the diet! :cross: I will post this link even though you said you read through the articles. SO much information there to guide you. Hopefully other's with homemade raw experience will chime in here as well. I do know that the diet you are feeding needs to be properly balanced with more supplements but as to what I cannot add anything - sorry not more helpful! There are recipes in the following link too. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never a silly or stupid question, EVER!!!
I only fed commercially made raw food to my cats so never had to balance out the diet. It was just easier for me to go the route and I was too unsure of myself preparing my own raw meals. I know it can be daunting to do so in the beginning but once you establish a routine, have all the proper supplements and balancing components, then it goes fairly smoothly as long as kitty will readily eat the diet!
I will post this link even though you said you read through the articles. SO much information there to guide you. Hopefully other's with homemade raw experience will chime in here as well. I do know that the diet you are feeding needs to be properly balanced with more supplements but as to what I cannot add anything - sorry not more helpful! There are recipes in the following link too. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources
Thank you! I think I may do the same - feed commercially prepared raw. What brand do you feed? Our cat isn't a picky eater thank goodness!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I think I may do the same - feed commercially prepared raw. What brand do you feed? Our cat isn't a picky eater thank goodness!
I have tried MANY :lol3: over the past few years. I prefer a nice rotation and I also use a high quality grain free canned food as well as some dry food too. At this time I only have two cats that will readily eat any raw food. The brands I have used and would still use are Stella/Chewey's (raw and freeze dried), Primal, Bravo, Darwins, Nature's Variety (raw and freeze dried), Hare Today and Rad Cat (THE most favorite). Since your cat is not picky :bigthumb:, you may have great luck with trying many of the brands and varieties of commercially made raw cat food!