newbie and grieving cat lover

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Well yes BYB's do advertise in the paper too but that dosen't mean that you should lump everyone in the same catagory...
Well, maybe not "99.99%"
but easily the majority I'd say. I agree with the other poster that mentioned that the ratio is probably 75% to 25% (BYB's to reputable breeders.) Also it's very likely that it's different where you live in California from here in Alabama.

Here's an example of an ad in our local paper: "PERSIAN KITTENS & CATS, CFA, grand champ. bloodline., $50-$150. Call ***-***-****" You and I both know that "Grand Champion Bloodlines" is really not worth the paper it's printed on, unless it's a Grand Champion sire. I could as well say my boys have "Grand Champion bloodlines" since a great grandsire is a GC (go back another generation and it's easily most of the cats in that generation, but really, getting back that far, what good is it?)

And another ad; "PERSIAN Our Tom was very active. 2 kittens, 8 wks & mom 14mos. White, thoroughbred, gorgeous, female pets. $275. ***-****" The kittens are too young, there's no mention of registration at all.

These types of ads in our local paper (a fairly large Southern city) are easily 75% of the ads you'll see here for cats. OTOH, this one MIGHT be legit: "MAINE COON, CFA Brown tabby, Male, 12 weeks, shots. $400. ***-**** or ***-****" since the kitten is 12 weeks old and the price is about right for a pet quality Maine Coon male for this area although a little on the low side (a comparable cat in your neck of the woods would run $6-700,) this one is a lot more likely to be from a local hobby breeder as opposed to a BYB. (The above examples are from the online version of our local paper, I can't remember when I bought an actual newspaper!)

As in anything else it's caveat emptor, but for someone without the relevant knowledge or just the instincts for what would be a reputable breeder, the local paper is still not the best place to look. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm mostly saying it just takes a bit more experience and a heckuva lot more work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gypsyheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is her picture ! I will post another topic to see what the differences are in "pet" and "show" quality. I just want a pet that will thrive and be with us for a long,long time. !What do ya'll think? http://perhaven.homestead.com/Available.html I can't wait till she gets here !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
Originally Posted by gypsyheart

My name is Ramona and I have been looking un-successfuly for a persian kitten. My husband and I "rescued" a feral kitten from under my mom's house last Oct.Spook absolutely adored my husband and followed him around everywhere. Last week he suddenly became ill and spiked a fever of 104.5.My vet said he had FIP? He was treated aggressively by our vet but he died in my husband's arms. Needless to say we are broken-hearted. I want a persian kitten but I am finding out there are so many breeds out there that are cute and fluffy. $ 300.00 range ... a little more or less ..... and shipping to Lubbock, Texas Any info would be Greatly appreciated. Ramona Please feel free to e-mail me any info at [email protected] THANKS
My condolences for the loss of Spook. You could look on petfinder. There are many purebreds there, but there are also many beautiful mixes too. I like maine coons and siberians.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
Originally Posted by RinaDaventry

Look on petfinder.com first. If you're patient, a purebred in almost any size, color, and age will come up. There are so many cats looking for a home there before you try a breeder!
I think this guy is particularly beautiful:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...25&tmpl=&stat=
he sure is cool. I like the name of the town too. Merlin, like the wizard. i like orange cats.