Newbie after advice!

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys just found this site and hoping for some advice and reassurance.
I've been a cat owner most my life and have had my current two kitties for 7 years, they were feral kittens had from the age of 6 weeks.
They've never been totally comfortable with anyone else but me especially my female. My male will come and see people but not let them pick him up.
Last Saturday I brought a new 7 week old kitten home, she is totally adorable and a lovely nature. Now I will admit I was hoping for the perfect introduction and it hasn't quite gone that way!
Both existing cats are scared of the kitten, she has never run at them or tried to play just sits and looks at them. I have a collar with a bell on it so they know where she is. So far there has been no physical aggression just growling and hissing which is pretty normal for my male and they've had plenty of opportunity to attack should they wish. He's quite a clever kitten and seems to know that she mustn't come upstairs at night (which is where the resident cats sleep). I had no way of keeping the cats separate so she is in the living room.
I suppose what I'm getting at is 1. As they haven't physically attacked her yet are they likely to?
2. Any tips on how I can get them to all be friends or is it just patience?
Thanks guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome. Sadly I was not in a position to keep them in a separate room. Although they have pretty much kept themselves separate. There has been plenty of hissing from my male but that is nothing new. They just had a 'meeting' now when the kitten followed me to bed and he just lay there growling and hissing.
We did have a fairly good response from my female earlier where she just sat there looking at the kitten whilst I was stroking her and didnt try to run and hide like she normally does.
I've purchased feliway diffusers so don't know if they are having any affect.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are not actively fighting, they don't object too much. Growling and hissing are just telling the kitten that he is the bottom of the totem pole. If they will let you, trimming the sharp tips of their claws will keep them from doing as much damage if one of them decides to swat the kitten.

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance. I do clip their claws regularly so that's not too much of an issue. There was a lot of growling, hissing and spirit this morning from my male but the kitten just sat there looking at him as if he was stupid!!
I just hope they settle down soon as I'm going back to work in a week!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do your older cats play with each other? After a while, they might decide the new kitten is the best playtoy in the house. Can we see some pictures of all three of them?

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although my older ones are siblings they aren't particularly loving! I'm puting it down to the way their mother taught them she was definitely not human friendly!
This is my adult female smudge
And last but not least the new addition coco
This is adult male tigger

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What beautiful kitties and that kitten!......I just want to grab him up!

I agree with catspaw...just give them some time. Since there is no actual fighting or other aggressive behaviors, other then the hissing and growling, seems your 2 older cats have pretty much accepted him being there.

Even though you could not separate them for their intro's, scent swapping can still be done and can go a long way to making them settle in with each other. Use a towel or washcloth, rub the kitten down getting his scent all over it and put in under your older cats food dishes, you can also place a second one near or on places they sleep. Another good way to do scent exchanges is using 1 grooming brush and brush them all with it, especially around the cheeks. 

Hope this helps and Good luck with the new kitten. Keep us posted.

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that, I do make sure that after I've been with the kitten I then go an make plenty of fuss of the adult cats (if I can find them).
To try and prevent all out war I have moved my cats feeding station to upstairs so there is some separation and I know this morning the kitten was up eating their biscuits! But my female sisnt go and hide which was good.
Ill definitely start with rubbing the kitten in a cloth and leaving it on my bed where my male sleeps cos he seems to be the biggest objector! Grumpy old boy he is lol