New Young Kitty Keeps Crying

Lauranicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I just need a little advice. We got a very young kitten yesterday about 7 weeks and yes I understand he should be with mum but unfortunately can't. Well he meows constantly and crys. There different meows so I no. He cried going to toilet crys when he's in bed and even crys eating his food. Yes he is very playful with my partner and has cuddles but he's still a bit distant with me. I've come to bed and just been to the toilet and can hear him downstairs crying. I feel so bad that I can't bring him up with me. I have a little baby in my room so letting him sleep with us isn't an option. I no he will grow out of it I just worry about the poor little guy! He's got a bed lots of toys blanket. How long is he going to feel like this until he finally gets the idea that this is his home now?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can the kitten not sleep in your room on his own bed? He's a baby, and scared and alone. I would really try to make something work.

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think the cat needs to be in your room. He's scared because he's alone. Could you use one of those large cat enclosures so that he's still out of the way in your room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lauranicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for late reply. It's day 3 today I will see how he is. I never go out so it's not as if I am going to leave him alone all the time, just bed time but if he's the same today then I will take him up with me tonight see how that goes. My partner finishes work around 2/3am so he gets cuddles then before my partner goes to bed

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does he have a "nest" anywhere? He might need a box with high sides or even his carrier with a blanket as a safe cuddle place.
Maybe a stuffed toy would work. Pick out a stuffed critter that is larger than he is (maybe small adult cat size). Make sure the eyes and ears can't be chewed off. Put this in a bed for him to snuggle with.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A box sounds like a great idea as it does sound like he doesn't like being alone.
As for the meowing, cat are very good at learning which gets the best response. My 18 month old, every hour leading up to dinner time, does the most desperate pleas for food. She's comes up beside my on the couch while I'm lying down, rests on my shoulder, has a look of desperation worthy of an Academy Award and reaches out her paw to touch my face in an attempt to pull on my heart strings. So the more they do it the emotional response passes.
I think also he may not know your nearby. So if you can't take him upstairs check in on him and give him a little more attention. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lauranicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for the advice. The cat box we collected him in is actually his bed at the minute it's got a blanket and a teddy in there. He was a lot better last night and he's been a lot active today running wild around the house. He likes to play spider cat on my curtains x