New Year's Traditions

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does listening to the Black Eyed Peas count? Cuz I did that today!
Also, are we allowed to FOLD laundry today? I've never itched to do laundry so bad because today I can't!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe my mom and dad always have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day for good luck! My grandmother always did the same.

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My next door neighbor has a very interesting tradition, which he says is common among African-Americans like himself. After midnight on New Year's Eve, no one in the family may leave the house and come back in until a man who does not live there has come in and walked through every room in the house. This is supposed to bring luck thru the new year. He has asked me to walk thru his house on New Year's Day many times, and I'm glad to help any way I can.
My ex-wife's family did the blackeyed peas thing. Only time I've ever seen that.

kitty's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandra

In Illinois and here in Arizona... Some people are members of the "Polar bear club" and they jump in a lake full of cold water with just bathing suits on on NY day
They have that in Ohio too. I watched them on the news tonight.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jdpesz

My next door neighbor has a very interesting tradition, which he says is common among African-Americans like himself. After midnight on New Year's Eve, no one in the family may leave the house and come back in until a man who does not live there has come in and walked through every room in the house. This is supposed to bring luck thru the new year. He has asked me to walk thru his house on New Year's Day many times, and I'm glad to help any way I can.
My ex-wife's family did the blackeyed peas thing. Only time I've ever seen that.
An Irish version of that is that everyone has to leave the house and no one can go back in until a dark haired man has walked through the house. Was difficult when it was just me and Midnight living in an apartment, I'd go outside holding him and toss him back inside! I often wondered if it counted, since he'd been neutered...