New with a question

NVcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I have a bonded pair of cats four & five years old that I found at my closest humane society about a year ago. They are great healthy cats but I have one issue that I could use some help with. It's a poop issue. I always have nice tootsie rolls but also peppermint patties in the litter box's. I'm pretty sure which one is leaving the patties. They eat kibble left out to eat at will. I tried a few different foods with no change. They had there first annul checkups not long ago and the vet didn't seem to concerned and said some cats just poop that way and suggested another new food. No change in the poops with the new food. So I would appreciate any thoughts on if I should be concerned or any suggestions. The cat in question is very active & loving as well & does seem fine other then the peppermint patties. Thanks B89577DB-4885-435C-80EA-D5716A8E49FC.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
93e47d87088201a7508b3422c48cf075.jpg
NVcatdad and kitties and on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
5eef284e192de88a7653ef4d4028733f.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting your kitties and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat: Do post photos of your other kitty for us to see! :camera::camera::camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forumsand do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :thumbsup:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one with chronic intermittent diarrhea that ranges from really watery to what you describe. He gets a few scrips if it persists more than two weeks. I cannot figure out what triggers it sometimes. I know that changing food or a different food (e.g., feeding him too much cooked chicken breast) will definitely do it. But sometimes it happens for no reason at all.

I agree that it isn’t normal. But you can spend a fortune testing and never figure it out. Your best bet, IMO, if you can afford it, is trying one of the novel protein over the counter foods and give them time to adjust. For example, rabbit. https://www.chewy.com/instinct-limited-ingredient-diet/dp/146315

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NVcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone I appreciate the thoughts. The new food was not wet just another kibble. I really enjoy the convince of dry food. If I try a wet food any suggestions for my situation? I spent a year looking for a bonded pair of adult cats. I found these to perfect cats at the Nevada Humane Society in Carson City. Someone asked for a pick of the other cat. Here's Martinelli & her best buddy Lucy Lu

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wet food any suggestions
As a brand that is relatively easy to obtain in brick 'n mortar stores, so that you don't need to get more than just a can or two in case they don't like it plus there are a lot of varieties to choose from, what about trying Fancy Feast?

Last edited:

NVcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a brand that is relatively easy to obtain in brick 'n mortar stores, so that you don't need to get more than just a can or two in case they don't like it plus there are a lot of varieties to choose from, what about trying Fancy Feast?
Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I really enjoy the convince of dry food. If I try a wet food any suggestions for my situation?
I understand the convenience of feeding dry food but wet/canned food is healthier for them because it contains more water to keep them hydrated. Cats usually don't drink enough water on their own. One of the reasons rescue cats prefer dry is because that is what they were fed at the shelter. It took awhile with many different varieties to get our present cat used to eating wet food. However, I leave a little dry out at night as a snack. Regarding suggestions you might want to check here:
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

BTW, Maritnelli and Lucy Lu are absolutely adorable. :kneading:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, and I speak from experience, if you have male cats, dry food makes them much more likely to block from crystals.

Search blocked cat on here or just google it.

NVcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand the convenience of feeding dry food but wet/canned food is healthier for them because it contains more water to keep them hydrated. Cats usually don't drink enough water on their own. One of the reasons rescue cats prefer dry is because that is what they were fed at the shelter. It took awhile with many different varieties to get our present cat used to eating wet food. However, I leave a little dry out at night as a snack. Regarding suggestions you might want to check here:
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

BTW, Maritnelli and Lucy Lu are absolutely adorable. :kneading:
Thanks for the info and compliment. I think they're petty cute too.

NVcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, and I speak from experience, if you have male cats, dry food makes them much more likely to block from crystals.

Search blocked cat on here or just google it.
Thanks mine are girls but I googled blocked cat. Very interesting & don't want that as I had a kidney stone long ago. I'm gonna try the wet food.