New Vet Charged For Unauthorized Service - Advice Wanted

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to a new veterinary clinic on the recommendation of my veterinarian because I was having trouble getting an appointment.

So anyway, this vet charged for extra blood work that I didn't authorize. I just found out when I logged into my account to see the results of the blood tests - which weren't listed there. I'm supposed to go back Wednesday evening so they can collect a urine sample. I was told the other day that I wouldn't be charged for that.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I want the urinalysis because I feel that I'm owed it. I just don't know at what point to complain about the unauthorized charge ($55). I don't intend on going back again either. Also, I recorded the phone conversation (perfectly legal here) so I have proof that he ran the test without checking with me first.

Any suggestions on what to do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet practice and vet as an individual should be registered with a governing body ( they are here in the UK) and there should be a code of practice. Try to find out what your legal rights are before going back to the vets and before paying anything, insist on speaking to the practice manager. If you show you have done your homework on the legalities you stand a better chance with your argument. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, be absolutely certain you tell your regular vet about this. He or she recommended this vet to you, he has both the right and the need to know about this.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the USA so I'll check with the state veterinary board of medicine.

I called my regular vet before I found out about this to see if someone there could look over the test results. I told them that this guy looked at the previous results from April and said my cat's kidneys looked fine, despite my regular vet diagnosing the cat with stage 2 renal insufficiency.

I'll let them know about this. I may call and ask them how I should handle this deceptive billing tactic. What do you think?

Edited to add:
I just sent an email to the veterinary board, but will call later when they are open.

I found a rule under Unprofessional Conduct that states: Committing an act constituting fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation in dealing with the board or in the veterinarian-owner-patient relationship, or with the public.

So isn't that what he did to me? He gave me no indication that I would have to pay for that test after he told me he already sent it out. Again, I have proof.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dealt with this once before. I had a cat who after 4 days in the vets was not responding to treatment. When I called one morning to ask about her and when I was told she was no better and was in fact worse, I made the decision to go that afternoon and have her euthanized. All of her systems were shutting down. When I got there I found out that they had run over $200 tests after I told them I was coming to say goodby and be with her when she went to the bridge. Even though I was heart broken about my sweet Daisy, I questioned the charge since I did not authorize it. It was ordered by the vet in the practice that I did not get along with. The charge was removed from my bill. I truly believe it was done solely to make money and not for the good of the cat. My case is a little different in that this practice was my regular vet - although I had it on record that I did not want to see this vet unless my regular one was not in the office and it was an emergency. I had had issues with that vet before. When it comes to my babies I have NO PROBLEM speaking up if I disagree with the vets. I do it without histrionics of course.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I went to a new veterinary clinic on the recommendation of my veterinarian because I was having trouble getting an appointment.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. First, let me say I understand your frustration and would be outraged too. However, I'm not certain why your vet would recommend going to another vet clinic based on not being able to accommodate you with an appointment. If they deemed it medically necessary I would hope they would fit you in or make an exception. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm only asking because maybe I don't have all the details or information. I'm glad you're pursing the additional charge for tests you did not authorize. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

KittyChaos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check any paperwork you signed when you dropped off your kitty. Most people don't read the fine print and sign away because it's stressful being in that situation. It may say at the bottom or somewhere in there "Please treat my pet as deemed necessary" or something to that effect, if you signed it then you can politely explain to them you did not realize that is what was signed and no one had gone over the bill with you prior to the charge and that you would like to see about discussing how that can be resolved. Most clinics- if you are polite about it- will take the charge off if there was a misunderstanding in communication.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called my regular vet Friday because my cat was not eating - just licking her food. Due to transportation issues that I had no control over and were not caused by me, I could only get to appointments scheduled for 6:00 pm or later (and when I say transportation issues, I mean that my driveway was completely blocked and I could not get out at all - long story). My vet closes at 6pm except on two nights and both of those were booked. They recommended this new vet who opened his clinic March/April 2017. I tried calling the previous clinic I went to, but they kept putting me on hold and I could never get through. The new vet was able to see me Monday evening.

Maybe if I had asked to speak to another receptionist they could've squeezed me in, I don't know. The one I spoke to has only been working there three months.

It's fairly common for my vet to refer clients to other vet clinics if there are scheduling problems or if the client needs something a little cheaper. There's a low-cost surgical place not too far down the road, so the vet will often suggest that clients look into that place. Usually, my vet refers clients to this one particular vet that I HATE. This is the first time they recommended a second place. I just assumed that the vet knew this new doctor and thought he was good. I find it odd that my vet never recommends the clinic she previously worked at (the place I couldn't get a hold of) as I think they're good. Pricey, but good.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here's a question:
This new vet looked at my cat's blood work from earlier in the year and said it looked normal.
My primary vet originally diagnosed the cat with stage 2 renal insufficiency. I agree with this assessment as it's obvious that the kidney values were abnormal.

This new vet says that the most recent blood work shows normal kidney values which I think is incorrect, but they still have not sent me the results to look at.

What do you all make of this? I want to let my primary vet know about this since they are the ones that referred me to this moron.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little confused. Did they charge you for a blood test that wasn't performed? Or did they do a blood test you didn't authorize? Since your cat has renal failure, I would think you would have authorized and needed a blood test. Even if you didn't initially authorize it, it's a good thing to do. If they charged you and didn't do it, then let them know they need to rectify this error. Show them the bill, and the old blood test. If they refuse to re-do the blood test - at no charge to you- then take it up with the veterinary board. (I don't know what it's called).

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would want to see the numbers. When the vet says "kidney values," is he/she just looking at BUN and creatinine in isolation, or all the variables that could be related to renal function? When he/she says they are "normal," does mean they fall within a broadly acceptable range for cats in general, or were they actually compared to prior results for your specific cat that have established a baseline? Depending on how they're thinking of those terms, this could cover a wide range of possibilities, which does not necessarily mean your cat is fine.

I'm also wondering about the cat's hydration level when the blood was tested. At least for Maisie, his numbers are noticeably better shortly after a fluid treatment and noticeably worse when he is mildly dehydrated. My vet is aware of this factor and when we talk through his progress, she always asks about when he received fluids last so she can take that into account when she interprets the results.

All this to say, "kidney values are fine and your cat is normal" is essentially meaningless without some more information. Since the new vet doesn't seem inclined to provide that, I'd just take it with a grain of salt and discuss the renal issues with the vet you trust.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. After you see the results of the blood test, you may want to authorize it after all. This in no way changes the fact that it was unethical for the vet to run a blood test you hadn't approved.
  2. Why aren't the results of the test available? They've obviously come in; the new vet claims to have seen them.
  3. Under no circumstances should you pay for blood work when you've been unable to see the results, and, quite frankly, I would recommend that you should insist on seeing the actual lab report, on the laboratory's letterhead. As things stand now you really have no way of knowing whether the test was actually done!
  4. Those "normal" results in a case of kidney failure sound highly doubtful to me.
Margret

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most vets should be able to do a kidney panel in-house. I doubt it even had to be sent to a lab. When I get Maisie's levels checked, he gets an exam and blood drawn, then we wait like 15 minutes for results (depending how busy they are) and the vet goes over it with me and makes any necessary med and treatment changes before we go home. I can't fathom a reason why the report wouldn't be available to be reviewed by the owner almost immediately.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stand corrected.

Margret
I think we're actually mostly in agreement - basically there's no reason the customer shouldn't be able see a printout of the specific bloodwork results in a timely manner. :)

Maisie has to get kidney values checked on a regular basis and I've never had to just take the vet's word for it like the OP was expected to. She always has a printed sheet we go over together.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for livestock (they can't do that in-house) every time I've had to have blood drawn on an animal, I saw the results, gone over with vet and received a copy for my records. The OP should have been offered the same courtesy. I would demand this.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The issue was with the T4 (thyroid) add-on, not the chemistry. The vet did not get my permission to add on the T4. He added it after he got the chemistry results back, before he spoke to me. I wouldn't have authorized it because at this point he had already screwed me over anyway (pardon my language).

I did get the situation straightened out, but they argued with me and refuse to admit fault. I told them I had proof that the vet ordered it before he talked to me and they wouldn't believe me (perhaps they'd like to hear the audio recording). I don't owe anything though, but I still have to go back to get the free urinalysis they owe me from the other night. I just hope they treat my cat well. I've had to pretend to be nice and apologetic. Once I get the results from the urinalysis, I'm posting this information on Yelp and anywhere else I can find. I will upload the part of the mp3 where the doctor states he ordered the test. Either this guy purposely tried to deceive me or he's seriously stupid.

I did finally get a copy of the chemistry results. Everything is normal except the calcium and amylase, which are just a smidgen high. I would like to get a CBC, that's something I originally wanted, but couldn't get. The chemistry test was done before fluids were administered.

I'm calling my regular vet about this matter ASAP. I'm hoping they can get us in for a CBC and maybe the vet could do a brief exam at no cost (if I'm lucky). I mean, I never would've gone to this new clinic if my primary vet hadn't recommended it. I feel like I've wasted time and still haven't gotten answers.