New user, hello and..o god please help me:/

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
glad to hear things are better... fleas can live in a sort of 'hibernation' state for a long time. when carbon dioxide becomes more prevalent in the atmosphere, meaning there are some mammals around, they sort of wake-up & go to town - & it can get really bad, really fast, especially if the previous tenants moved without treating an infestation. the good news is, once you get them out, it'll probably never be as bad. but yes, i've seen some bad ones around here, too - even in dorm rooms on campus where pets are not allowed. the fleas prefer the cats, but they'll eat off of you, too. carpets are bad because it gives them a place to wait in dormancy. that's one reason i have hard floors throughout my house.

otisbird

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm told that fleas can hang around(the hubernation mode) for 2 years. Just waiting. I use Advantage. I can get by using it only every 3 months. I have persians who never go outside.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I hate to sound dumb, but I've never seen a cat with fleas...is there any chance that they aren't in colder, drier areas of the country like Wyoming and Colorado? That's where I've lived all my life...thanks - just wondering if I need to worry, I guess.
Here's an article on fleas in Colorado. There are actually 80 different species of fleas here but aren't a problem because of the low humidity. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05600.html.