New Tom Cat Attacking My Ferals

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have had a new Tom cat move into our area that is attacking our outside ferals. All of our cats are fixed but I have already been out vet bills of over $100 to get our male patched back up and he had wounds again this week. This new cat is also attacking the fixed females as I had to get him off one this morning after he cased her down in our yard. I do not think this is anybody's cat but do not know for sure. I suspect it lives at a nearby business and ranges in our area looking for additional food. I do know I for one have no interest in having it fixed and I cannot afford more vet bills where it is hurting our cats. From what I have read even if we got it fixed the aggression might continue toward our pets. I am considering trapping and turning over to animal control but hate to if there is a chance it's someone's kitty. Thoughts?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find out if there is a free or low cost TNR program in your area and get it fixed. Fixed tom cats are much less aggressive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Find out if there is a free or low cost TNR program in your area and get it fixed. Fixed tom cats are much less aggressive.
I am not even sure this cat is not fixed. It may just be a mean cat. This is just me but I do not want any degree of ownership in this cat. He has already hurt 2 of our cats now and I am not spending any funds on him. I may trap him and take him to animal control and he might work out for someone else. I am pretty upset because we have a nice family group of ferals and I do not like to see them injured,

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you don't want him around, but animal control will likely put him down. So it would be kinder and he may not stick around after you release him. If he has not been around for long, he will probably move on. When I have TNR'ed cats who are not part of my colony they don't usually stick around. If there is a TNR program you may be able to get it done for free.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a tom cat that was doing the same to one of my neutered ferals. I finally trapped him and had him neutered thinking this would be the solution. Of course it takes awhile for the hormones to shut down. I fed the cat, but in a different area from my other feral. I also added some flower essences to his food. His behavior did mellow after a few weeks. Yet he just did not get along with my other feral.
I looked into rescue groups or shelters for him. Yet, he was not socialized and I was told he would be euthanized. I could not deal with that happening.

So I brought him into my house! I gave him a room of his own. It was a year long process, but he adapted to living inside and my resident indoor cat. He is now the absolute sweetest cat ever. A little love and compassion goes a long way.