New to site with new "feral" cat: 72 hours

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all:

I have had cats all my adult life (48 y/o), and my only experience with "ferals" has been over 14 years ago when I adopted a mom and her four feral kittens under 4 weeks of age.  Mom was not feral, so the kittens were easily tamed and re-homed with the exception of one who was too skittish and she stayed with me along with mom.  Currently I have four older cats.

I live in West Michigan -- three weeks ago I noticed a black cat going house to house down our street in search of food -- we do not have very many cats in our neighborhood -- only one that I've observed has been a gray and white tom, but I haven't seen him in over six months.  

I observed it's "route" - as much as I could -- it would come from across our back woods and begin going house to house every evening about 5:45pm.  I put food out in our garage, leaving it open about six inches - there is a cat door in the back of the garage and I noticed prints that the cat exited here and went out our back yard through a small hole in our deer fence.  The weather has been so awful with sub zero temps and heavy snowfall - I decided to see if I could trap kitty and set it up in our loft above our garage which is heated, essentially empty except for carpet scraps and completely cat proof.  There is a window for daylight.

Also wanted to see if this cat is indeed a true feral or perhaps someone's abandoned cat.  I put thick folded canvas tarps under a live trap and covered the trap with two layers of tarps in our garage.

Long story short it has been nearly 72 hours.  I brought the cat into the upstairs loft, plugged in a "feliway" diffuser, set up water station, cat box and a "safe den"  thick fleece and soft blankets.  "Jet Black" as I refer to him/ her does not hiss or growl -- "she" for lack of a better word, meows  when I talk to her, but will not eat wet food offered under the blankets in her den on a spoon.  Jet has not used the box, but has used a piece of old carpet in the corner -- so I will change the type of litter in the box and mix in some dirt and put in one of Jet's "#2's" --in hopes that works.

"She" has made eye contact with me and I have soft blinked and backed down with my body language -- however that was day one -- the last time I saw her out of the den.  I also made the mistake of looking under the blanket in her den and made eye contact (I squinted) and then put the blanket back down.  Other than that I have kept a schedule of going up and talking very softly, bringing wet food and staying up with her for about 20-30 minutes.  Everything I have read says don't give food until the cat comes to you -- which feels a little counter intuitive with an adult cat, but I will defer to those in this forum who have more experience than me.

I have read so many posts on "ferals" that I'm concerned if my approach is ok.  I understand and respect the amount of fear Jet has and the time and patience I will need to give - he/she may not ever be socialized and that is fine. However, should I attempt to feed Jet only if she comes out?  or should I stay and make my visits at the same time every day and leave the food and let her eat after I leave?  

I would like to be able to take her in to the vet to be seen -- vaccinated/spayed or neutered, but don't want to traumatize her anymore thanI'm sure this experience has been.  I also realize that 72 hours is not a lot of time to make a total evaluation.

At what point would you advise re-trapping her and taking her to the vet?

What is your opinion on the feeding?

Anything else?

I am willing to take as much time as needed as she is in a safe cat-proof location out of the elements.  I am willing to TNR as well, respecting that this cat may be more comfortable in the outdoor world.  I'm also willing to foster and keep kitty if it seems like the right thing to do.

thank you

Betsy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello all:

I have had cats all my adult life (48 y/o), and my only experience with "ferals" has been over 14 years ago when I adopted a mom and her four feral kittens under 4 weeks of age.  Mom was not feral, so the kittens were easily tamed and re-homed with the exception of one who was too skittish and she stayed with me along with mom.  Currently I have four older cats.

I live in West Michigan -- three weeks ago I noticed a black cat going house to house down our street in search of food -- we do not have very many cats in our neighborhood -- only one that I've observed has been a gray and white tom, but I haven't seen him in over six months.  

I observed it's "route" - as much as I could -- it would come from across our back woods and begin going house to house every evening about 5:45pm.  I put food out in our garage, leaving it open about six inches - there is a cat door in the back of the garage and I noticed prints that the cat exited here and went out our back yard through a small hole in our deer fence.  The weather has been so awful with sub zero temps and heavy snowfall - I decided to see if I could trap kitty and set it up in our loft above our garage which is heated, essentially empty except for carpet scraps and completely cat proof.  There is a window for daylight.

Also wanted to see if this cat is indeed a true feral or perhaps someone's abandoned cat.  I put thick folded canvas tarps under a live trap and covered the trap with two layers of tarps in our garage.

Long story short it has been nearly 72 hours.  I brought the cat into the upstairs loft, plugged in a "feliway" diffuser, set up water station, cat box and a "safe den"  thick fleece and soft blankets.  "Jet Black" as I refer to him/ her does not hiss or growl -- "she" for lack of a better word, meows  when I talk to her, but will not eat wet food offered under the blankets in her den on a spoon.  Jet has not used the box, but has used a piece of old carpet in the corner -- so I will change the type of litter in the box and mix in some dirt and put in one of Jet's "#2's" --in hopes that works.

"She" has made eye contact with me and I have soft blinked and backed down with my body language -- however that was day one -- the last time I saw her out of the den.  I also made the mistake of looking under the blanket in her den and made eye contact (I squinted) and then put the blanket back down.  Other than that I have kept a schedule of going up and talking very softly, bringing wet food and staying up with her for about 20-30 minutes.  Everything I have read says don't give food until the cat comes to you -- which feels a little counter intuitive with an adult cat, but I will defer to those in this forum who have more experience than me.

I have read so many posts on "ferals" that I'm concerned if my approach is ok.  I understand and respect the amount of fear Jet has and the time and patience I will need to give - he/she may not ever be socialized and that is fine. However, should I attempt to feed Jet only if she comes out?  or should I stay and make my visits at the same time every day and leave the food and let her eat after I leave?  

I would like to be able to take her in to the vet to be seen -- vaccinated/spayed or neutered, but don't want to traumatize her anymore thanI'm sure this experience has been.  I also realize that 72 hours is not a lot of time to make a total evaluation.

At what point would you advise re-trapping her and taking her to the vet?

What is your opinion on the feeding?

Anything else?

I am willing to take as much time as needed as she is in a safe cat-proof location out of the elements.  I am willing to TNR as well, respecting that this cat may be more comfortable in the outdoor world.  I'm also willing to foster and keep kitty if it seems like the right thing to do.

thank you

Betsy
I will begin with a quicke, I perhaps return later with extra thoughs.  And Im sure others will step in.

As far, you had done everything excellently.   But this with food, I agree the advice you got is somewhat dubious.

Its very true, food is a mighty ally for you. But force her by hunger is to overdo this a trifle.    :)

She will notice anyway its you who bring in food with you.

You can use an extra trick.  Take your used t-shirt, so it smells fo you.   And set her food bowl on it...   So she connects you with food even stronger.

Re the vet visit.  She is not sick, its nothing hurrying this way.  Do you have residents?  If not, its even less hurry.

Deworming is good to do, but this you can do at home.  You can surely ask your vet what he recommends. The same vet you will go to.

I mean, which dewormers to use depends partly on what you have at your pharmacia.

A point is, some of the usual OTC dewormers are really harmful or at least, no good.  So, you must know what preparates to use.  But this is perhaps somewhat later question.

The rest you can wait with, especielly if you dont have residents.

Many rescuers solve this problem by taking the cat to the vet the first they do, immediately after catching, while the cat is still in the trap...

Otherwise, Im sure it will go well for you to foster her.   You are on the correct way to do it, and your attitude is the right one.

OK, its enough for  now,

Good luck!

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What you might try is putting out smelly food like fish, warmed up slightly, and set it by her. Back away a fair distance, but close enough that she can see/smell you. Wait to see if she comes out within a reasonable time. If not, leave and go on your way. Repeat often :)

Also note that some very friendly cats may not eat for 12+ hours if in a new environment. I recently bought in Hercules, a cat I TRNd in May 2012 and one I've seen and been feeding off and on since then. Extremely affectionate and friendly, obviously previously owned. Yet he did not eat for at least 12+ hours, and I know he hadn't eaten for close to 12+ hours before then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you StephanZ and Ritz  for your replies -- I had the same gut feeling about the food -- but I think your idea is excellent with the t shirt -- I will do that. I've been giving her wet "smelly" room temp food mixed with kibble and I was about 4 feet from her -- but I will keep the schedule and use the t-shirt for scent and be patient.  She's been eating everything I put out, but only when I leave.

Ritz: If I do decide to wait for her to come out to eat, what would you consider a "reasonable time"?  I think if I wait longer and longer and she doesn't come out I'm just "training" that the longer she waits I'll eventually leave -- right?  and I don't feel that food is the ultimate motivator for her like it was for the kittens I've rescued -- she seems content (so far) to wait me out.  I guess my hope would be that with repeating and repeating that maybe -- or maybe not-- she will at some point at least allow me to see her.  I guess time will tell.

She does not appear ill -- eyes are clear and bright.  Body condition is from my initial short views at least a 3 or 4.  I will wait on the vet -- it just intuitively seems like too much too soon.  I do not use OTC wormers for same reason as you state StephanZ.  will get something from my vet.

My cats are in my house -- JetBlack is above our garage in the "kitty condo" as we like to call it.  So no other residents.

Also, this might sound very strange, and I will totally take feedback on this -- last night I played this cat audio recording of "two cats talking" (you may have seen it on YouTube) it's these two cats purring and chirping to each other and grooming and kitty seemed to meow quite a bit in response and a different tone  -- almost like a conversation -- I then mimicked the tone with my voice very low over the cats on the audio.. is this crazy?  it didn't seem to be an agitator -- although I'm by no means a mind reader of animals.  I  was hoping to speak a little more "kitty" in addition to "human". 

thank you again!

b

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
quick update: went up to feed "JetBlack" she was in her den.  I took a spoonful of wet food on a long spoon (ice cream spoon) and put it under her blanket.  She ate it!  I moved the food dish right under the flap of her den, but she wouldn't come any closer to it with my presence there 20 minutes being quiet and still.

SO I  saw this as huge progress so I did not push her more.  I spoke gently as usual and left the rest of the food on one of my t-shirts in the usual place.

:)))

betsy

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ritz,

Yes more progress today -- this morning I went up for AM food and placed the spoon in the den and waited.  Kitty meowed at me softly, but wouldn't eat.  I played an audio recording of  "two cats talking".  Still no eating.

I waited and then played an audio recording of a mom and her kittens -- it was soft and purring and mewing (not stressful) and kitty started eating from the spoon immediately -- then, peeked head out of den and meowed softly at me and made eye contact (i kept my body turned away, head turned a little towards kitty and slow blinked).  I stayed for 20 minutes, there was a lot of mutual gazing with squinted eyes --  I moved to leave and kitty went back in the den.  So… I think that is all good.  

I began to feel some anxiety about the interest kitty had in the kitten sounds -- I hope in my  "kindness" I haven't trapped a feral female who was nursing -- but I don't know -- haven't seen enough of kitty to know what the sex is.

Started to use the litter box when I moved it to the corner and put the bm's in it.

Thanks for caring!
B

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi Ritz,

Yes more progress today -- this morning I went up for AM food and placed the spoon in the den and waited.  Kitty meowed at me softly, but wouldn't eat.  I played an audio recording of  "two cats talking".  Still no eating.

I waited and then played an audio recording of a mom and her kittens -- it was soft and purring and mewing (not stressful) and kitty started eating from the spoon immediately -- then, peeked head out of den and meowed softly at me and made eye contact (i kept my body turned away, head turned a little towards kitty and slow blinked).  I stayed for 20 minutes, there was a lot of mutual gazing with squinted eyes --  I moved to leave and kitty went back in the den.  So… I think that is all good.  

I began to feel some anxiety about the interest kitty had in the kitten sounds -- I hope in my  "kindness" I haven't trapped a feral female who was nursing -- but I don't know -- haven't seen enough of kitty to know what the sex is.

Started to use the litter box when I moved it to the corner and put the bm's in it.

Thanks for caring!
B
Tx for the description and the tips!

You can also yawn a little, and strech yourself, standing on all fours.   Like cats do when they want to greet a friendly cat - or their human.

At least, mine residents do so the whole time.  If it is universal, or their behavior is reinforced by my response to them, I dont know, but for me there is no doubt this is their friendly gestures.   Yawning and streching out...

Ah, and turning the behind to!   But it will be next steps.

When the time comes and the cat sets her behind to your face, you dont need to smell on, but you can blow carefully, so it feels her like you were with face near and smelling on.   :)

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh.. thank you StephanZ!  I get it --

so I am very thrilled with today's breakthrough… I went up for the AM feeding, I had the audio of "momma cat and her kittens" playing on my phone in my pocket right away from the time I opened the stairs (which pull down out of the ceiling).  I placed the spoon under the blanket and a few minutes went by and kitty started eating with enthusiasm.  I put the bowl of food right up to the same opening in the den but had it half way in/half way out.  Kitty ate with her head out and looked at me a few times, but kept eating!  

After she was done eating she ducked back into the den under cover.  I still had the audio of the mom cat cooing to her kittens playing in my pocket --I laid down on the floor (I am about 2 feet from her den).  She CAME OUT and looked at me -- I squinted the entire time.  She did a back leg stretch and made her way across the room -- tail down --stopped again to look at me-- I stayed still.  She did another leg stretch and made it over to the other side of the room where she crouched down and just looked at me.  I did sit up slowly, but kept my posture non-threatening… I made my way to  the pull down stairs so that just my head would be visible and our eyes would be level from her perspective  -- we did some slow blinking.  I couldn't believe it.  

I will definitely try the yawn and stretch when it's time and if I do get so lucky to get the bum, I will take your advice StephanZ!

thank you!

betsy

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing such an amazing job - and sounds like you're doing so much right and getting positive (although I know it feels slow) responses from Jet. I think it sounds like Jet might have been a dump versus a feral - if you were able to see him/her going from house to house, that sounds like a very hungry, previously owned cat to me. Most "true ferals" wouldn't generally be that visible about searching for food. 

I read through this thread kind of quickly so maybe I missed this - but you do have hard food out at all times don't you? Everyone may not agree with me - and that's one of  the great things about this forum is the tons of opinions and offers of help - but I've always made water and hard food available 24/7 - but made sure that the kitty knows the "really good stuff" comes ONLY when I'm around. And it can't be their main source of nutrition by any means.

And "good stuff" varies depending on the likes of the individual kitty (and I know some of it you've already tried/been suggested so sorry if I'm repeating things you know/have heard) - but usually the smellier the better, so I see what the individual cat/kitten really goes for (and I do know some strongly disagree with using anything like lunch meat or hot dogs since they're not exactly quality foods - but I have tried them when desperate for a "food hot button"). My go to "yummies" are: Gerber's Stage 2 Chicken baby food (although sometimes I've had ones that prefer the turkey or the ham -- and on rare occasions, they like the Beechnut version instead of Gerbers but that's really really rare), mackerel (and yes, sometimes warming it just a TAD does help since it amps up the scent - but I've had some kitties hate it warm - so it just takes trial and error), tuna, Fancy Feast Chicken with Gravy, hot dogs, cooked chicken (pre-cooked rotisserie in a pinch - although I don't do much of that often since often they contain a little seasoning with onion in it - a no no for kitties).

I think you already do a lot of the stuff I do/recommend. But I always softly "announce myself" before I enter the room - by starting to do a little soft, sing-songy thing in a high, soft, feminine voice (I make my poor husband do it too when we're working on socialization) - always the same exact thing so that the kitty starts to realize good things are coming when they hear my off key "here I come with yummy stuff" song. I keep singing it as I sit/lie on the floor relatively near them (how near varies on the kitty), so that I'm as non-threatening as possible - - - offering the treat on a long spoon so that they can smell/taste the treat without getting any closer than they have to initially (ice cream/iced tea type spoon like it sounds like you use!!!). If the spoon method just is too scary - I do put it on a dish and push it close. And I keep singing/talking as much as possible. 

I also leave a tv or radio on softy basically 24/7 - on something with a lot of quiet talking (HGTV is a great channel for that) or talk radio…although I do switch periodically to classical music. The tv/radio serves two purposes - it gets them used to hearing people's voices and realizing a person's voice isn't followed by anything bad. Plus it helps cover up the house noises that can sound really scary - which at our house is the overhead walking. We live in an old home built in the 40s, and the kitty socialization room is a really large bedroom in our finished basement - which means that the kittens hear floorboards creaking very loudly at random times (I've been down watching them when my husband has been walking above us, and it can sound really scary) --- and the tv/radio kind of covers that sound up.

I do work from home - so it helps that I can go down and be with the kitty/kitties often (since we have a tv and a bed down there, I also sleep with them a lot, which it doesn't sound like is an option for you). I also read aloud with them too…or take our laptop down and work (I'm a freelance graphic designer). 

Try not to stress yourself out that you've brought in a nursing mom just because of the interest in the kitty sounds. Think of it this way - it's about a 50% chance that Jet's a male anyway :)  And even if Jet is a female, the chances of her having a litter at this time of year is far less probable than if you'd trapped in the spring/summer. Plus if she were a nursing mom - most likely she'd have been frantic to get out long before this. So I think you can rest pretty easy that you haven't separated a mom from her babies :) Instead you've saved her life - - and slowly, eventually, she'll get that :) It's just usually a lot slower than we as caregivers like for it to be :)

And Stefan's suggestion of putting things that really smell like you is fantastic - I started using this trick and it really does help. Wear a tshirt/sweatshirt/sweatpants/yoga pants as long as you can stand it (doing something like working up a good sweat in it is even better).

I do agree with Stefan about over-the-counter flea and worm medication. I've always taken the cats/kittens straight to the vet and/or spay/neuter clinic so that I didn't have to worry about trying to retrap to get them to the vet - - but it sounds like Jet at least appears to be basically healthy (although do make sure - which I'm sure you already know - to wash/sanitize your hands after doing anything in Jet's area before you touch your own kitties since you haven't had Jet tested for anything). Most strays/feral do however have at least one type of worm…but the good news is that you don't have to trap Jet and take him in to be tested/treated for worms - just call your vet and explain the situation and tell them you're bringing in a fecal sample. And since Jet doesn't come into contact with your cats - and he/she's alone (not part of a litter) - you don't have to worry about a pregnancy, so I wouldn't worry about anything but getting the worm test done at this point. The rest can come when you've made a lot more socialization headway!

I don't know if I offered anything new or helpful - but hopefully I've offered some helpful tidbit! It sounds like your'e doing a great job with Jet! And keep in mind what Jet would be going through if outside in the well-below-zero weather!!!! You've saved a life!!!

Keep us posted on how Jet - and you - are doing!

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello KittyChick and group!  Sorry for the delay in responding. 

To what you mention KittyChick, yes I keep some crunchy food and water available 24/7.  I come up to the den 3 times a day with some wet food and crunchies mixed.  JetBlack IS a male and he's become incredibly affectionate and responsive.  Everyday he amazes me more. I also am with you KittyChick that this cat is not a true feral -- however it seems like he's had very limited consistent human interaction.  He still bolts a little with sudden movements and one day my daughter sneezed and he hid.  When I clean his box, he hides for awhile, too - but I'm sure this will get better and better with time.  So I think I will do as you mention and begin "sound therapy".  I can probably use a radio -- as much as I'd like a TV with HGTV -- I think that is a good channel in terms of noises - the cat den is above the garage and no access to cable, etc. 

So, now JetBlack prefers about 5-10 minutes of petting and love before he eats his wet food!  He rolls over on his back and loves to have his belly rubbed!  Last night when my daughter and I went up for his bedtime snack/love routine -- he greeted us with a chirpy song -- it was adorable!  We sat up in the den with him for about 45 minutes  -- playing with the feather toy and grooming him with the brush -- which he also took to right away.  This morning he greeted me again and came right up to me for petting and ignored his wet food for a good 10 -15 minutes.

I did take a stool sample to the vet and will get the results today.  My current plan (as it tends to change :)  ) is to (when the time is right) take Jet to the vet, have him tested, vaccinated and neutered.  I would very much like to then transition him into our home into our daughters room for additional socialization.  We do have four older cats and my male is very territorial and sprays (unfortunately even in the house) when other cats even come into our front yard (our back yard is "kitty proof" - with an 8ft high deer fence).  SO... I'm not sure how he will take it -- that will just be a day by day thing.  My girls will be annoyed, but will be fine.  If it seems too stressful for everyone after a few months I will likely try to re-home him through my vet and other connections.  He seems to be open to meeting new people as he enjoys my daughter very much - my son came home from college last weekend and went up to sit with him -- Jet wasn't into getting close, but didn't hide.

Anyway, one of my theories is that JetBlack may have been born last spring/summer and could be from one of the barns that sit about 15 acres behind our home through the woods...otherwise, perhaps he was abandoned or dropped off.  I've looked at local lost cat posts and did find one from 20 miles south of here that I thought surely was his owner -- the two cats were almost identical in markings and size (Jet is very small--very short tail, very short whiskers, short stature).  When I contacted the owner and sent her a video she too was amazed that they were so identical, but it was a no.

Yes, I'm so happy that I took Jet in -- the weather here has been brutal.  Jet has gained few lbs in the short amount of time and I can't imagine what it must have been like to get so desperate as to have to make that epic journey going house to house -- The day before I was able to trap him, he came out at his usual time (5:45) and the winds were at least 20mph, snow was blowing and it was in the teens -- He didn't make it to our house until late that night (usually he would get to our house about 6:15)--I had to close the live trap at 10:30pm and just leave our side door open in the garage with a bowl of food.   I'm sure he hunkered down somewhere in between -- I can't believe he didn't have frostbitten ears or paws.

Anyway, yes we saved a life for sure -- it feels good to be kind and it feels good to demonstrate that there is mercy in the world.  :)

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I'm shocked as I look back and see that JetBlack has only been with us for 8 days!  Wow, incredible!

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Patience is the key. Essentially you are resettling jet and it is perfectly normal for this process to take weeks sounds to me as if a) things are progressing at a normal rate. And b) she is not feral,a true feral would be hissing screaming and just terrified.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope all with Jet Black is going well! If you do end up introducing jet into your house...I'm sure im not telling you anything new...but go verrryyyyy slowly. I'm sure there are lots of us on this forum that can offer suggestions ;) And a good, slow introduction can make a world of (& lifelong) difference in how both Jet and your current kitties do relationship-wise. We, as humans, always want to rush it but remember that the kitties don't speak our language & no amount of explaining on our part helps either side understand what the "strange kitty/kitties are doing here!"!

Isn't it amazing how fast (but in some ways slow?!?!) those 8 days go!!

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far Jet has taken his first round of dewormer exceptionally well (he had round worms) - took the meds like a champ -- didn't even really notice I was so quick with the syringe -- just licked his lips and kept making "air biscuits".  He also let me trim his nails over the course of about 30 minutes of playing and petting.  Such a good boy!  I have an appointment for him at the vet next week to get bloodwork tested and then, a change of life if all goes well.  I haven't made a firm plan yet for introducing him into our home as I'm taking everything day by day.  I know that the transition with sounds and smells and the new environment will be a lot for him, so I will definitely come to the forum for advice.

Thanks~

momskitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I'm posting a quick update on JetBlack :)
Jet went to the vet today and had all tests, vaccines and a "change of life"! He was great at the vet and was brave while he was examined. Came home this afternoon and he is a bit rattled from the experience...went to hide when he got home, but came out for food and a little bit of petting. He is under a year in age and now will be our foster cat --- at some point in the next few months or less, I will introduce him into our home -- which I'm anxious about, but not going to dwell too much on that feeling as Jet has his own comfy quarters for now. Glad we found him and not only saved his life during this brutal winter, but also removed his ability to be in the cycle of unwanted or feral cats.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautifully put! Congrats to you & jet on a clean bill of health & a great start to what's sure to be a wonderful new chapter for both of you!

Keep us posted!