New to site need help introduction

EmilyMLG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I’m Emily joined cause I need advice. Long story at the start we had two female cats Mya and Luna - our neighbour asked if we could rehome a intact male - we said yes and bought him home the same day - Ginge is semi feral lived on a farm with ten dogs (terrified of them the owner would let the dogs chase him). He settled in very quick….. was going to start the introductions next day but had a loss in our cat family - the day after we got Ginge Luna was hit by a car and died.
We we’re in two minds about keeping Ginge after this but decided he deserved a home and started introductions with him and Mya. The introductions were a good distraction for Mya and took her mind away from losing Luna. We are 3 and a half weeks in and the introductions aren’t going great - this is what we need help with. They will be nearish each other and have treat and then Ginge will get to close to Mya - Mya will hiss - Ginge’s tails starts wagging and yowling (he doesn’t meow). We always try to distract before it gets to this point and finish the interaction but today we couldn’t and Ginge went for Mya we stopped it before they connected but I feel like the introductions are at a stand still. Any suggestions? We did scent introduction to start, then base camp swapping, then visual introductions with them between a door, removed the doors done introductions with treats and catnip as distraction then it turns to hissing and near attempts at Ginge going for Mya. Would it help if Ginge wasn’t intact anymore? Any suggestions greatly appreciated xxx

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Depending on their ages, sometimes the 'older' cats are the longer the introduction process takes. So, 3 1/2 weeks could be considered a pretty small window for getting them accustomed to each other. Perhaps, the step of letting them be close to one another without a door/gate might have been rushed. But, yes, it would probably help to have Ginge neutered. Regardless of his age, he will likely settle down a bit more if he is. And Mya might be more inclined to 'accept' him as well. She also is trying to adapt to a different cat being her 'roomie' too.

Are they now both indoor only cats? If not, that could add time to the introduction process because it is a less controlled set up.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
a59761b4cd439fbf1de268bd39cb6bba.gif
Emily, Mya, Luna and Ginge, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
cat-and-welcome-sign-wall-decor.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

We are so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about Luna. You may want to pay a tribute to her here in crossing-the-bridge.19

Here are some articles for you to read regarding cat introductions :- cat-introduction

To get a speedier reply based on your questions, you may also want to post your questions here in cat-behavior.5 which is a more appropriate forum where more members frequent and you may have more help there.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmilyMLG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah think we’re gonna take a step back and go back to visual introductions.
We’re trying to make Mya an indoor cat - after what happened to Luna - the first day of it she broke to cat flap just to get outside so trying to catify our garden so she can still have outside time but she’ll be away from the road.
I’ll get Ginge booked in to be neutered hopefully it will help chill him out a little bit.
Thankyouuu :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for giving Ginge a home. I think getting him neutered will help. If not directly with the introduction to Mya, but as least will lessen his need to roam, and will get rid of the stinky tom cat pee.

So very sorry about Luna. RIP sweetie. :angel:

Back to the introductions, this TCS article might have some tips for you:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

And about making them inside only cats, here's a couple more articles:
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I think that the excellent advice given will really help. Keep us updated on how things go! You might want to post this in the Cat Behavior forum for more responses!