New to raw, portion size?

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just switched Luna to raw in hopes to prevent more outbreaks of ulcers on her mouth. She is around 8 lbs and that's an ideal weight for her. I am feeding her 3oz a day. Is that correct? She acts like she is starving. She figured out how to get the lid off my dogs treat jar and chow down on cookie crumbs and if I briefly leave my dogs kibble on the counter she will mistake it for her own! She is also getting l lysine, coconut oil, and goats milk. Am I feeding her enough or too much and I should be adding other supplements or not enough?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunatuna

I just switched Luna to raw in hopes to prevent more outbreaks of ulcers on her mouth. She is around 8 lbs and that's an ideal weight for her. I am feeding her 3oz a day. Is that correct? She acts like she is starving. She figured out how to get the lid off my dogs treat jar and chow down on cookie crumbs and if I briefly leave my dogs kibble on the counter she will mistake it for her own! She is also getting l lysine, coconut oil, and goats milk. Am I feeding her enough or too much and I should be adding other supplements or not enough?
Using 3% of her weight, Luna should be eating about 3.8 ounces of food a day, so you might want to increase how much you're feeding just a bit. If she's that hungry, you can even go to 4 ounces and just watch her weight to see if she maintains. Also, I assume you're feeding at least three times a day? Cats evolved to eat many small meals a day (according to the National Research Council's Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats, over a dozen small meals in a 24 hour period!), so feeding at least three times should be the minimum.

I would continue with the L-lysine (how much are you dosing per day?), but I would definitely stop with the coconut oil and goats milk.

What other supplements you offer - or don't - depends on Luna's diet; what are you feeding her?

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is eating Primal pet foods quail formula right now. She gets 250 mgs of l lysine twice a day. She eats at 7, 4, and 9. Why not the goats milk?