New to kitten care- please advise!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
B breeb

You need to trim the tips of all of their claws so that they do not scratch each other or mom's tummy. Keep them trimmed as needed.

It's great to hear that Squirt is doing so well and holding his own! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw Bree he's adorable!! Sarthur what do you trim claws with and how do you know how much to cut? X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right now you can get by with a pair of human nail clippers; but as the kittens get bigger and the claws get thicker, you'll need clippers for cats that are available at Walmart, pet stores, and online. Just trim the tips - be careful not to trim too far back into the quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Have had computer issues so couldn't post, but an update-
Squirt continues to do well and improve- he is now 293g and quite feisty with his siblings!
I have more questions for the forum: First, I was wondering, when should I introduce them to solid food? They are 3 weeks old today, and all doing quite well on Penny's milk. She is eating about four times the amount of food that our other cats eat, but it seems to be going to milk production as she is very thin. She is not a large cat, so I worry about the kittens taxing her too much.
I have been reading and most advice says to not wean the kittens over to solid food until 4 weeks. Are there any clues that I should be looking for that would help me to be sure they don't need to be introduced a little earlier? I don't see or feel any little teeth yet, so I think they might have a week or so to go. However, when they were out of the box yesterday to change the bedding, they seemed interested in Penny's food and a couple seemed to want to mouth at it.

Secondly, we do have two adult cats that lived here long before Penny came to live with us. Since she was a stray and pregnant, we have not yet made formal introductions, but she has seen them through the door and she hisses a little bit. Not really like she means it, but of course she will be defensive of her kittens. Is there any point at which it would be safe to introduce them (either Penny to the others or the others to the kittens)? We have one neutered male and one spayed female, both over 5 years of age. The male is curious about what is in the spare room, but the female is not interested at all.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice through this- they grow so fast that new issues seem to come up daily!
It is so great to have this forum to lean on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Squirt showing his stuff at 3 weeks- that is his brother Kash next to him.

DSC01431.JPG