New to fostering feral kitten

kz59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been around cats most of my life, fostering kittens for over a year. A week ago i took in a feral kitten whose previous foster could not find time to socialize. About 10 weeks old from a feral mom, vaccinated (FVRCP & FeLV), negative for FIV/FELV. He is not just skittish, but will lunge teeth bared and claws drawn if you get within 2 feet. Currently in a 36" dog crate - house isn't large enough for a dedicated "cat room"; i have 2 other foster kittens and an old cat, and don't want them getting hurt. He is eating and using the litterbox, never when i'm around. He has a small cardboard box to hide in, and seems to spend most of the day there, immobile and staring out with frightened eyes. I try playing with him, no interest. When i play in the same room with my other fosters, he has no reaction. I contacted the previous foster, she could pick him up with a towel and i think he ate in front of her, that's as far as it got. I have music playing so he doesn't go nuts from the silence (I am retired, very quiet, and live alone). My question is: when do you decide that keeping him locked up without exercise and stimulation is not in his best interest? i work with a rescue that is willing to neuter him and release back to his colony, if necessary. i know one week is quite short, but being cooped up in a cage is not a good situation for an active kitten. thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
This little boy needs a lot of time. What kind of music, is it spotify's cat harp music? Do you change it up now and then with some silence?

What about not looking directly at him, but sitting on the floor nearby and reading to him? Keep playing with the other fosters in his vicinity.

What about a calming product? There are sprays, plugins, treats.. ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kz59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks! i've been playing classical, jazz, blues, nothing loud or with an intense beat, plenty of silence in between.

i sit with the kitten for a few hrs every evening watching my favorite shows, and play with my 2 fosters (he's in my TV room). i have Feliway spray, forgot about that one. may try plug-ins, didn't work on my older cat who hates foster kittens invading her personal space. i give the old girl CBD drops, those definitely help, though i'm not sure it's safe for kittens.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would find a time to introduce him to the other kittens. Perhaps you could put the older cat in a bedroom or bathroom for a few hours. Kittens usually make friends pretty quickly, and if he gets along with them, an intro to the adult can can follow. Being out of his crate will reduce his stress and watching the other kittens play, he will begin to see that the humans aren’t so bad.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Really close to what my mum used to do when fostering.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try holding some treats in your hand and get him to eat from it? Keep trying multiple times a day. Also talk to him a lot get him comfortable with your voice. Stay near him a lot get him used to your presence and smell. Leave the kittens in the same room while hes still caged maybe he will be brave enough to interact thru the cage without you there? Youd need to monitor thru a camera or record it on cellphone.