New to cats with abandoned infant

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor baby - that eye needs a vet. It doesn't look good at all. Let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenna973

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we went to the vet. I was waiting to assess the change before reporting. The vet gave him a different eye ointment; this one is non-steroidal, and she said with some cats/some infections, the steroid makes it worse. This is purely an antibiotic ointment, and he's gotten SO MUCH better so quickly! I tried to take a picture, but he's being uncooperative and he wishes to play more than anything.

Also he and the Yorkie really got into hardcore playing like a week ago. They chase each other all through the house. I was watching to be sure she didn't accidentally bite too hard and hurt him, but I think she's aware that he's a baby. She acts more scared of him than he does her. Lol. They have a BLAST!

Now the space on my floor where the sun shines through the glass in my front door is littered with dog toys and scraps of paper the kitty ha stolen and thinks he's hidden away. That's where they play.

jenna973

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He's fighting me on taking the picture, but while he may very likely end up being blind in that eye, he is less likely to lose it as the conjunctivitis has gone done according to the vet. If he does lose it, it'll be in a couple of months (as he's still too young to go under anesthesia) and not due to a rupture.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does look much better! Hopefully, he'll keep the eye. I'm glad he's enjoying so much playtime! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the eye had an ulcer, then it has to get opaque with new blood vessels as it heals.  The steroidal eye ointment prevents the blood vessels growing in, so you have to get off that until the ulcer is all gone.  (I had an eye ulcer myself so I remember it well.)  Once the ulcer is healed, which the doctors can tell by staining the eye, THEN you can go back on the drops with the steroids in them and that will clear up the eye again. 

Last edited:

jenna973

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Eye update: still improving! He's running around playing like a crazy person and keeping me awake at 2AM, but he's happy. I was cleaning out his litter boxes earlier, and he started playing in one of them. (I had two before I knew #of cats + 1 is standard. I'd bought a standard sized rectangular one and he was too little to step inside so I used a small plastic tub from the dollar store and cut a hole for him to get through for a cheap and easy second one.) I don't know if he's just not accustomed to seeing the bigger box, which he can now get into on his own, in the bedroom or what his deal is. He's so spastic at night!

jenna973

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have another question. His eye is doing well. He's steadily gaining weight. He's 3mo and acts CRAZY! I have a water bottle for when he purposely bites me, and he uses a scratching post. His nails are still SUPER sharp, and he tried to climb up my legs to get love and attention. He also bites my eyelids while I'm sleeping. Any ideas of how to deal with the sharp nails? Do people cut cats' nails? I thought that's what the scratching post was for. I can get an eye mask to sleep in; currently I've just been locking him out of the bedroom when I'm sleeping.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His nails need to be trimmed. You need cat nail clippers, available at Walmart or pet stores. Trim just the tips once a week. That should help.

Water bottles do not work. Try hissing at him.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you could benefit by reading another thread that is currently active here. about an older cat who never got properly trained as a baby.  You need to train your little guy NOW.  Please do read what I wrote in this thread at post #13 of 22 about how I trained my last orphan when he was 6-8 weeks and wildly playful and needed to learn how to control himself.  Yours will need that too because he didnt have a mom cat and siblings to teach him.  Now is the time, while he is little, before he gets set in bad habits.  You have to be the mom cat.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/320806/bud-went-ballistic-on-me-and-tore-up-my-arm-and-hand#post_4032481

jenna973

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. Kitty is doing well. He's gotten much better regarding aggressive behaviors. His eye infection is gone; he may be blind in the affected eye, but they don't think he'll lose the eye anymore. Thank goodness for that!

I've been providing him with wet food and dry food. He's gotten to where he prefers dry, and I'm no longer giving him wet food except on occasion as my dog eats what he doesn't and is getting fat. Lol. His BMs are a bit softer lately, which I attribute to the food change, but he will no longer eat the wet food. Since we had changed to the tidy cats breeze litter box, this has been problematic as it quickly attracts gnats. Although I quickly (multiple times daily) remove BMs, it seems not to be quickly enough. I've read several posts in the litter box forums and think going back to regular litter is the best bet for now.

He's grown a lot! I'll post a picture to show this sweet kitty's progress.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks great! So glad to hear his eye has healed, and that he's so playful with the dogs. That's awesome news! Thank you for the update! He's a real cutie! [emoji]128522[/emoji]