New to cats and need help!

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am adopting a troubled cat. My fiancee's parents had a cat when they got Shadow (a kitten). Several years passed and as the older cat became blind, def, couldn't keep food down, they eventually had to have her put down because she was getting worse and she was suffering. They never had problems with Shadow until after the other cat was put down she began to poop on the floor around the house. We assumed it was due to mourning the other cat so we just cleaned it up and started giving her more attention, more time outside, and play time without the dogs involvement. The pooping stopped, we were all thrilled.

A year later my fiancee' and I moved out, taking our 2 dogs with us and the pooping started again. We ended up moving back in while the pooping problem was still going on and she began to pee in corners behind chairs and in other hidden areas (behind the toilette, behind doors etc). One morning I noticed that the other dogs of the house would chase Shadow around the house nipping at her, and if they could catch or corner her they would hump her. Needless to say the pooping began to get worse to a point that she was pooping on tables and beds and wouldn't get on the floor unless it was in our bedroom away from the other dogs. She didn't seem to have a problem with my dogs. (one of my dogs is older and just sleeps all day every day and I caught Shadow playing with my younger dog several times tho after she saw me watching she would stop and pretend like nothing happened lol)

After I saw what the other dogs were doing to Shadow I took her to my Grandmother's house, she has an older cat that sleeps all day and no dogs, I thought it would be perfect for sweet little Shadow and it was. Shadow had no more accidents and seemed happy until my sister moved in with her crazy evil cat who would ambush Shadow in the litter box at the food dish or even just in the living room to start a fight. The pooping and peeing on the floor began again.

Long story short (too late I know I'm sorry) I am moving into a new place on the 15th and I am taking Shadow with me. It is a new house so there should be no animal smells of any sort in there, I am purchasing all new litter boxes, toys, food dishes, NEW EVERYTHING for her. I will also have my 2 dogs who get a bit nervous with moves but are typically over it the first night we sleep in the new place. I've never been much of a cat person but Shadow has won my heart. She is such a sweet cat, loving and cuddly but also loves her alone time to watch out the window. And even tho I am allergic to cats, I am willing to tough it out to give her a better life. I just have to remember to wash my hands and face anytime I touch her lol.

My main concern is the drive from my Grandma's house to the new place is nearly 3 hours long. What is the best way to relieve the stress from this drive? How do I transport her for such a long ride?

And how do I help her acclimate to the new home?

I am planning on putting a litter box in the laundry room because as she was growing up the litter box was always in the laundry room at her first home. I am also going to put one on the other side of the house in the spare bathroom as it will have little travel and will be away from noises like the washer and water heater etc. I'm going to keep her food bowl up on the kitchen table away from the dogs and by a window that will remain uncovered for her to look out of. We have a lot of shelving that she can climb on to get away from the dogs and the spare bedroom will have a baby gate so she can get some privacy when she wants it. Is there anything else I can or should do for her?

Is it ok for me to give her a little tuna at night or milk as a little special treat to help keep her happy?

How do I know what litter to buy for her?

What kind of cat food should I give her?

If I scoop her litter boxes every day do I need to change the litter more than once a week?

Thank you for surviving my wall of text. It should show how bad I need help!
I am hopeless!

~Trish
The Cat Noob

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trishafer

My main concern is the drive from my Grandma's house to the new place is nearly 3 hours long. What is the best way to relieve the stress from this drive? How do I transport her for such a long ride?
I would recommend you take her to a licensed veterinarian you trust for some type of tranquilizer. As far as transporting her I would recommend a standard cat carrier with towel.

And how do I help her acclimate to the new home?

I am planning on putting a litter box in the laundry room because as she was growing up the litter box was always in the laundry room at her first home. I am also going to put one on the other side of the house in the spare bathroom as it will have little travel and will be away from noises like the washer and water heater etc. I'm going to keep her food bowl up on the kitchen table away from the dogs and by a window that will remain uncovered for her to look out of. We have a lot of shelving that she can climb on to get away from the dogs and the spare bedroom will have a baby gate so she can get some privacy when she wants it. Is there anything else I can or should do for her?
That all sounds fine for after the move. I would just recommend you keep her in a bathroom with just: food, water, litter box, and towel for two weeks. Then slowly, ideally one room at a time get her used to your home.

Is it ok for me to give her a little tuna at night or milk as a little special treat to help keep her happy?
I would NOT recommend milk, but some Tuna is fine in my humble opinion.

How do I know what litter to buy for her?
Whatever type of litter she is used to using is what I would use!

What kind of cat food should I give her?
For now I would recommend feed her whatever food she is used to eating.

If I scoop her litter boxes every day do I need to change the litter more than once a week?
With one cat I do not think so.

Thank you for surviving my wall of text. It should show how bad I need help!
I am hopeless!

~Trish
The Cat Noob
It is no problem
. We like to help each other
. Plus I must commend you for loving Shadow so much, as most people do not have patience for a cat like her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plus I must commend you for loving Shadow so much, as most people do not have patience for a cat like her.
Thanx! She is a sweet cat and deserves another chance in a new home where she can be an only cat.

I personally just think she has just been in some bad situations and needs some tlc.

So, basically just quarantine her for a bit then let her out room by room to explore. No milk and I'll find out what his parent's had for her litter and food.

Thank you sooooo much!
~Trish
The Cat Noob

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanx! She is a sweet cat and deserves another chance in a new home where she can be an only cat.

I personally just think she has just been in some bad situations and needs some tlc.

So, basically just quarantine her for a bit then let her out room by room to explore. No milk and I'll find out what his parent's had for her litter and food.

Thank you sooooo much!
~Trish
The Cat Noob
Yes you got it
, as far as I am concerned. I was just thinking you might want to take the litter boxes she has been using, since they will be familiar to her. So that would make her more likely to use them, in my humble opinion.

I will be the first to admit I have major issues/fears of a cat in my home and not using a litter box. So forgive my paranoia.

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried about the litter boxes tho. I am gunna get the same style as what she has but I'm scared that if I just take the one she has, she might not use it because it smells like my sister's evil cat.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not recommend a tranquilizer, as you do not know how Shadow will react to one - and the worst possible time to have a horrible reaction is when moving/traveling. Instead look into Feliway spray or Rescue Remedy.

When you first get Shadow to your new home, set her up in her own room w/ food/water/litter box/toys/etc. Keep her confined to there until she adjusts more to the house & then slowly let her explore more space as she settles in. You can use the feliway spray (or get a diffuser) to plug in at the new place.

I'd consider using the baby gate to gate off room(s) permanently to make a 'cat only' zone where the dogs cannot disturb her. You will likely benefit from putting a litter box in that room.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am worried about the litter boxes tho. I am gunna get the same style as what she has but I'm scared that if I just take the one she has, she might not use it because it smells like my sister's evil cat.
Very very very true and very very very good point
! See how much you know already

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I do not recommend a tranquilizer, as you do not know how Shadow will react to one - and the worst possible time to have a horrible reaction is when moving/traveling. Instead look into Feliway spray or Rescue Remedy.
But it's also possible for her to react negatively to a new spray however "all natural" they may be.

Originally Posted by Cat Person

Very very very true and very very very good point
! See how much you know already
I've spent a lot of time on this site today researching. I'm just really nervous!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But it's also possible for her to react negatively to a new spray however "all natural" they may be.
Very true - Feliway spray is something if she reacts negatively to it you simply remove the blanket. With a sedative it is in their system for hours. I'd feel safer not sedating them & my vet won't use sedatives for travel, so I trust him.

Good luck on the move! It's hard enough to move w/o having a kitty to worry about.

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Very true - Feliway spray is something if she reacts negatively to it you simply remove the blanket. With a sedative it is in their system for hours. I'd feel safer not sedating them & my vet won't use sedatives for travel, so I trust him.
Her vet recommended I just stick one of my shirts in the kennel with her, keep the music low, and the temp cool and she should be fine.

Lets hope it works!