New To Cat Pregnancy!

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Long story short, my cat is heavily pregnant and I’ve never had a pregnant cat before and the impending labor signs are confusing me!
Now for the long story:
I was flooded last year and had to rehome two of my three cats (the two that survived). The older, fixed cat went to my brother. The younger, not-yet-fixed kitten Ripley (about 6 months old) went to a woman who owned a grooming parlor, so I stupidly assumed she’d be responsible as she worked with animals all day.
10 months later I get a call from a pound on the other side of the city.
Ripley was handed in as a stray and my details were still listed on her microchip.
I contacted the person I rehomed her to. The woman dropped Ripley off once she became pregnant for a second time. Ripley was kept in ONE ROOM almost the whole time she was rehomed, kept escaping and getting pregnant, plus kept hiding from the new owner (Ripley was born feral & I tamed her, so she was very shy).
So I went to the pound and claimed my malnourished, dehydrated, flea-infested, flu-infected, very pregnant Ripley.
She has been VERY clingy for the 2 weeks that we’ve had her due to rescuing her, so the affectionate trait of looming pregnancy is hard to see.
She is so think you can feel each back and tail bone so the vet thinks she is 7-8 weeks.
Her nipples are pink but she is still dehydrated which makes milk gland detection hard (I’m stirring water in with all her food).
She’s eating everything that gets placed under her nose as she is only 3kg (so far 4 different brands of wet food in many flavours, mackrel fillets, dried fish, yoghurt drops, Black Hawk grain free kitten kibble & dried lamb).
Ripley keeps grooming herself all over, but that seems to be regular cleaning.
She’s super noisy but that’s just Ripley.
Any suggestions on pregnancy signs for a cat like this? Any suggestions on fattening her up? Anything I should be feeding or not feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
442D2077-CC0E-493D-8B35-F7D6E25BA321.jpeg

Here are her hip bones, she’s so thin. And also her belly while on her rightful spot, my bed.

5410A961-5E7E-43EE-9987-CA8C76012CA1.jpeg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to offer her KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) instead of ordinary water. You should be letting her pack on the calories. Which you seem to be doing. My one experience with a pregnant stray was about two weeks prior to her delivery and she was not under weight, but I did feed her kitten dry food prior to delivery and until she weened the kittens.

Good luck, and I'm sure you will do well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Ripley! Glad you have her back!

Has she been treated for fleas, worms, and flu?

Definitely feed her as much as she wants to eat 24/7 so the babies and she both get plenty of nutrition.

She’s very pretty and looks sweet. It’s hard to say when she’s due. I agree with the vet though. She may have another week or two to go.

Keep us posted! :)

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I now have KMR on it’s way thank you!

And she’s been wormed & I went over her for 3.5 hours with a pair of tweezers picking off each flea plus used flea shampoo. There was nothing the vet could give Ripley for the flu because she’s so pregnant, but Ripley will be getting a booster flu shot after the babies are born!

She woke hubby & myself up this morning with headbutts...at 3am -_-
Her wet food bowls were empty.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gentle responce to a horrible situation! Food!

In the past when having to deflea cats (kittens, mostly) when topical were inappropriate due to age or nursing kittens, I've used Johnson's Baby shampoo. No apparent residuals. Flea shampoo may leave some chemicals to kill future fleas. For removing fleas, alive or dead, I've found a flea comb woks much faster than tweezers (lol). You must be a very patient soul.

Ripley is a very attractive calico kitty.

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
96AE71F6-030D-4E80-9D07-2AB0A4A84F8B.jpeg
She’s a little snotty but the gasping is gone. It was all in the nose, the vet said her chest is clear. What is Albon & where can I get it?

I bathed her in baby shampoo because I found one flea on her. Plus her hygene is questionable on the parts she cant reach due to her stomach. Ripley isn’t talking to me right now

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HOLY HELL THEY’RE COMING OUT LIKE IT’S A WATER SLIDE! Ripley was groaning on our bed for maybe 30 minutes, then shot off to her nest box (thankfully).
Two babies in 30 minutes, both umbilical cords cut, placentas gone, doing great and she only meowed about 5 times before the birth! Now she’s whisper quiet & buries herself in my hand. I’ll post pics when she’s done!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad it’s going well. Please do not bathe her anymore while she is a nursing mom.

You can use a tube of Advantage II on the back of her neck for fleas.

Albon is a prescription antibiotic that clears infection yet is very mild and won’t hurt the kittens.

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah she’s not getting bathed for months now! Not that she should need it, she can hopefully now clean herself & I’ll get the drop flea treatment.
I made the mistake of getting up to stretch my legs. Ripley started freaking out that I was leaving! 4 babies now, maybe possibly more but she is tired. Still licking her babies, but definitely laying down more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you buy kitten formula? If so, give her a dish a day to drink. She needs the calcium.

Labor is exhausting. Hopefully she will be done soon!

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the KMR should arrive this week, probably Tuesday. I’ve been grating yoghurt drops into her wet food & she was eating 4 single serve tins in 24hrs for the last 2 weeks.
5 babies now, she keeps getting cuddly just before the births!

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the blankets need changing, but here are her 5 fuzzy babies! She’s doing well, I convinced her to eat just now & I’m gonna stay home today with her.
Hubby & our noisy 5 year old are off to grandma’s while I keep an eye on Ripley!
AD20722B-AA70-49E8-921C-79FD72476090.jpeg

Zieke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, I can hear suckling if I get close enough & the babies only cry when Ripley steps out (I put a mackrel fillet out to tempt her to eat & it’s half gone already).
I have scales to weigh them but I’ll wait until I change the blankets.