,New to caring for a very pregnant cat who happens to be semi-feral

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great they all found a home! Kittens can mate at 3 months so definately neuter asap.

Laura

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad and I've already gotten reports that they are all doing well and purring a lot.  I'm so glad the three boys went to the same home and the two females also have/will have loving homes. Henryetta doesn't seem to miss them, but she still has one kitten left. They were curled up together yesterday.  I suppose she knows that it was time the kittens were on their own. They are three months old in a couple of days and weaned, except they still liked to nurse once-in-a-while along with all the wet and dry food they ate. Henryetta has put on weight now that they haven't really been nursing much so that is good. She had gotten pretty thin after the birth, the nursing and the spaying.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. Maybe getting them used to each other out there may help, but I really think she is not comfortable in the house.
I figured you would have worked out the MUST get fixed requirement when adopting out the kittens. And truth be told - kittens can become sexually active shortly after four months!!!! So you are correct in mentioning this to the potential new adopters.

Absolutely, having Chaucer and Henryetta socializing in the storage room will help tremendously for inside the house. Henryetta WILL accept and adjust to living in the house and being comfortable. It may be a few days only until she realizes that the kittens are no longer in the storage shed and she can just relax and enjoy her new life of leisure. ;) Look at how much you have gone through thus far????!!!! This next step will be a breeze in comparison. I expect she will be a bit nervous inside the house wondering where her kittens are. You can take her to the storage shed and show her that they are no longer there and that they have gone on to their new life with loving families. Henryetta will soon understand. :hugs:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Progress was made today. Eating together and off the same plate IN THE HOUSE!!!!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My resident cat and the remaining kitten love to play together. I now bring Henryetta and the kitten into the house  a couple of times a day.  Chaucer and the kitten chase each other, leap in the air and play-fight. At first I was concerned because he is about 9 pounds and the kitten not even 3 pounds, but he's pretty good about it. Henryetta must trust Chaucer now because she lets them do this and doesn't pay obvious attention to this. She still hisses sometimes at Chaucer but I think it is now more of a "don't bother me right now" thing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I bet that kitten is going to solidify Henryetta's relationship with Chaucer. She must be getting some joy out of seeing her kitten play with Chaucer and him responding so kindly. This is all just such great news. I bet you are having a bit of fun watching all of the antics too. :bigthumb: Very entertaining. :clap:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An update for those  following this:  All the kittens have now gone to their new homes as of last month.  Henryetta is living in the house and learning to get along with Chaucer. Thank you for the support, suggestions and advice. It's really been a long row to hoe for me these past few months learning how to handle a semi-feral and then having the five kittens to care for as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! And to me too! A shelter replied to my video and were taken to a nice foster home. I hope to see them at the craft/adoption fair!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Congrats! And to me too! A shelter replied to my video and were taken to a nice foster home. I hope to see them at the craft/adoption fair!
Wonderful news!  Congratulations!