New to caring for a stray/feral and second-guessing myself and need some encouragement and support

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For those following this thread. This were taken yesterday morning when they were just hours-old. It's not that great but the best I could do then.

Henryetta has been friendly to me since and has greeted me at the storage room door, no doubt expecting food. I hope she continues to be friendly and it is not just a phase from heat, pregnancy and now early motherhood. I am not quite certain of her since she is semi-feral. She is scared of other people and so there will be no visitors in the nursery.
OH I am SOOOOO happy to see this great news!!!! I am so relieved to hear that all went well. Wonderful, fantastic news !!!! They are so precious and must have been an easy delivery for Henryetta. I was fairly certain that she would accept you as part of the family even after her kittens were born. It seems that all is going well and I will check on your other thread too.

Not too early to begin to make plans with a vet for the kittens upcoming spay/neuters and for momma's surgery as well. The weeks will fly by quickly. ENJOY THOSE BABIES - they are just too cute. :heart3: :lovegrin:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I am glad she accepts me. I wonder if she knows how much I have helped her and that is why she is nice to me still. 

I hate to say this, though, the neighbor's two torties want to be my cats, too. They got in the habit of coming by when I had food out for Henryetta and now they expect it; however, instead of running away, they are now approaching me. I really do not want to be their main source of food and have thought about approaching the neighbor to make sure these really are their pets. I am guessing they are because they sit in their yard with their yappy dogs, but they must be primarily their outdoor cats. Spayed, yes, and probably have their shots and such but they look kind of raggedy at times.

cmmullig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to see these little babies are gorgeous as they should be.  Hand feed the mother as much as possible, the feral lady here suggests isolating feral in small area, taking food in to area taking a heavy towel and  swaddling so only head is out and feeding by hand otherwise leave isolated in that small area and in about two weeks you have her eating out of your hand for real   since this is not appropriate with her nursing babies you may never get on good terms with her but the babies are a sure thing if you make them part of  your routine best wishes

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, I've been feeding her since early December and she's pretty comfortable with me now. She's been "with me" in the house since early April but I had to put her in the storage room about two or three weeks ago because she is pregnant and laundry room was not a good, private place. Also my neutered male Chaucer jumped her a couple of times. She's FIV-free and FeLV-free and has been wormed and had all her shots.  In a couple of months, I'll get her spayed and hopefully she will be become part of the family, provided Chaucer accepts her.

cmmullig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, i had been following you, i am the one who added 5 ferals to my household recently and felt the kittens would do well, enjoy---- all mine are all pettable in their crates and am going to have room built on sunporch for them in next month,

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

yes, i had been following you, i am the one who added 5 ferals to my household recently and felt the kittens would do well, enjoy---- all mine are all pettable in their crates and am going to have room built on sunporch for them in next month,
Ah, yes.  I'm glad I'm not the only one to have something built/installed for the cats!
  5 ferals...I'm in awe.

Henry was pettable in early February, but I chose not to pet her, even though she was rubbing around my legs and purring, until I was able to get her to the vet. Chaucer, as a kitten, turned out to be a carrier of ringworm but didn't show the condition himself. I got two small places! After that, I was hesitant to touch her. The idea she probably didn't have her shots was a deciding factor, too.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not the only one to have something built or installed for your cats, lol. I bought a cedar wood pet house for my feral a few years ago and it cost over two hundred dollars. I have a very modest income, but I have never regretted spending the money because I think this house is possibly the greatest gift I've ever given any living creature. My feral practically lived in it all winter long and understands it's his house, and it's something no one else has ever done for him so it's a great feeling!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
same here... the last winter was quite freezing so I had to put out 3 (!) kitty tubes. They're expensive. Their shipping was even more dear. But they're isolated, and at least one of them is being used 

I also made some shelters myself, nearly loosing a finger in the process, but they seem to prefer the tubes.

(I just couldn't sit in my warm home, have critters freezing outside and a way to do something about that)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really do not want to be their main source of food and have thought about approaching the neighbor to make sure these really are their pets.
There is a lot to be gained by doing so! I have been in that situation many times and at first I was reluctant to talk with the "neighbors" about their cat. I was pretty certain, like you, that it was their cat. Still, I approached in a very non-threatening way just casually asking about the cat and being honest that the cat have been coming over to eat at my place. I just wanted confirmation that the cat was theirs and if so, do they mind the cat coming over to eat at my place. It will open up the door to hopefully some good communication and a way to develop a relationship so that you are all on the same page in trying to care for these cats. Unfortunately, in my situation, they did not care for their cat at all and I had to take more extreme measures to save/rescue this cat in need. The two you speak of sound better off than the one I had to help. Anyway, finding out for sure will ease your mind a bit and you will get an understanding of whether or not they really "love" their cats OR even want their cats.

In a couple of months, I'll get her spayed and hopefully she will be become part of the family, provided Chaucer accepts her.
A word of caution and something to be prepared for !!! Henryetta may soon be going into heat and once her kittens are moving around more, she may try to escape for a rendezvous. AND, I think Henryetta already is part of the family and we can help you with introductions when you get to that point. Chaucer already knows her and her him. Once you get her spayed, her kittens are all neutered and adopted out, she will become ready for her new life of leisure indoors with Chaucer!! :D

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm concerned about her going into heat again. The kittens' father is coming round again and there is another white cat I've called E.B. for E.B. White who comes by sometimes. Neither of them dine here much, though.How soon should I get her spayed?  I know the kittens are way too young right now, but by the time they are mostly eating solid foods? I shall have to ask this in the pregnancy/kitten topic.

Here is a photo of the two cats that I've named Arabella (on the left) and Olivia.  Clearly, they are a pair. Arabella must have some Siamese in her, based on her constant yowling at me when she wants food. Olivia has a quieter meow and will wait patiently for me to feed them. I am guessing that the neighbors either feed them or they are theirs. Arabella has been coming right to the glass door almost from the beginning so that was my first guess that she has a home. My other neighbor says Olivia belongs to the people behind here so I've started putting the food on the back end of the driveway. It's closer to their "home."

MsAimee and roguethecat, I'd never heard of those tubes.  How wonderful!  I wish I'd known about these when Henryetta was out in the very cold and the snow.  I did notice she was going inside my absentee neighbor's house through a missing slat in the window. I told him and he didn't mind since it was an enclosed (with brick) breezeway laundry room. He was just happy she and any other cats had some place to get out of the cold.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MsAimee and roguethecat, I'd never heard of those tubes.  How wonderful!  I wish I'd known about these when Henryetta was out in the very cold and the snow.  I did notice she was going inside my absentee neighbor's house through a missing slat in the window. I told him and he didn't mind since it was an enclosed (with brick) breezeway laundry room. He was just happy she and any other cats had some place to get out of the cold.
http://www.thekittytube.com/

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link, roguethecat.  How does this work if there are several cats in the area?  Can they share one, or would they share one?  Should the kitty tubes be put up on things to prevent the other wildlife from using them?  Although I live in a town, I have armadillos, skunks, squirrels and raccoons in the area.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are friends (in my yard, there are three who stick closely together) they will share one. Three fit into one easily. The tubes are designed specifically for cats with other wildlife around - raccoons won't fit through the entrance. If you don't put any food in there, they will leave it alone. Same for skunks. Squirrels will be welcome prey for the cats 
 and, wow, armadillos... I've never seen one, sorry, no advice on those.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

If they are friends (in my yard, there are three who stick closely together) they will share one. Three fit into one easily. The tubes are designed specifically for cats with other wildlife around - raccoons won't fit through the entrance. If you don't put any food in there, they will leave it alone. Same for skunks. Squirrels will be welcome prey for the cats 
 and, wow, armadillos... I've never seen one, sorry, no advice on those.
Thank you!

Armadillos dig holes in the yard but there is always the thought one might crawl into a dog or kitty house. And let's hope no opossums.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found out today that the other two cats (Arabella and Olivia) due indeed belong to the people behind me. I was outside a little while ago and saw people on their back patio so I yelled across and asked them. Yes, both of these cats belong to the elderly woman who lives there. The black tortie one is named Chloe. I told them they sometimes liked to eat here and they just laughed. Frankly, I didn't think the people were all that pleasant but the cats look to be healthy, if a little rough, are spayed and they do feed them so I'm no longer going to supplement their diet. It was one thing when I wasn't sure if they had a home but now that I know they do, they can eat at their own home. My mother was so embarrassed when I was a child when a neighbor told us our little dachshund had been going down there every day for a meal of cooked chicken. She had no idea. She certainly didn't laugh when the woman told her and kept an eye on our dog.

chitownfx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI There, Just want to share with you some of the things I've gone through taking in stray cats. I've always kept my cat(s) seperated from the new cat.

As soon as possible I take the new cat to the vet for any shots etc. they might need.

The majority of them do howl, cry, climb the walls and it breaks my heart every time. Once they've been to the vet I still keep them in a seperate room but keep a good childrens gate or two in the doorway so that my cat can see them and it's not such a huge shock when they do meet face to face. For a while the face to face Has to be Supervised! (Unless you are the luckiest cat person in the world

I have fed a Feral Cat since last August, she got pregnant and I now am helping her care for her 6 week old kittens. From all my reading and talking with shelters the best thing is to keep them for at least 12 weeks that 6 to 8 week thing is a confusion with adopting puppies, Honestly!Plus the shelters can rarely keep kittens for a full 12 to 16 weeks. We will try to find good homes for the kittens and a shelter is going to help us with trapping and getting Momma spayed. Plus find homes for any kittens we still have at that 12 week period.

Just before this last winter we bought The Kitty Tube for her to stay in and thank goodness we did. I live in Illinois and this was one of the worst winters on record, o boy was it COLD. She was happy and seemed nice and warm in the Tube, also we kept it up on a high table to help protect her from predators. I've tried to keep her in the house during the beginning but she freaked out when I closed the door. that feeling of being trapped was simply too terrifying for her. Her 4  kitties were born in the Tube on March 27'th.  We had also bought a large plastic dog house and kept the tube in that for the food to stay dry, and got an electric water dish to keep water from freezing.

Once the kittens started trying to come out of the tube we moved the dog house / with tube inside onto the ground  outside our back door where I spend most of my time anyway, and put up 3 walls to keep out the racoons. A few days ago they started to need more room to play so I put plastic on the inside of the storm door, adjusted the storm to stay open all the time. I cut a hole big enough for Momma and the kittens to come and go from my back room into their protected outdoor area. This will work as long as the kittens can not climb over the walls outside. Momma comes and goes at will usually just to go potty I think as she simply will  not use a litter box. After finding their bedding in the Tube full of pee and poop we cleaned it all up. put the litter box outside and the kittens have learned on their own so far to use the litter box.

Momma comes inside (shocks me almost to death) and calls the kittens to make sure they're ok, sometimes she has them go outside and they lay around outside and nap, she nurses them or the kitties play in the fresh air. so far so good, even if my back room barely has room to move with all the food, cats, beds and toys I keep for them indoors

btw, they do not nurse as much as when they were younger and  I've started giving  them hard kitten food and some K MR which they all love (including Momma). I leave out water also all the time They steal Mom's soft food whenever possible, but I haven't had a chance to buy kitten soft food yet.

sorry this is so long, but it's a long story LOL   Keep on helping cats when you can, and bless you for caring, we need more people who care!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 Frankly, I didn't think the people were all that pleasant but the cats look to be healthy, if a little rough, are spayed and they do feed them so I'm no longer going to supplement their diet. It was one thing when I wasn't sure if they had a home but now that I know they do, they can eat at their own home. My mother was so embarrassed when I was a child when a neighbor told us our little dachshund had been going down there every day for a meal of cooked chicken. She had no idea. She certainly didn't laugh when the woman told her and kept an eye on our dog.
that happens... I wonder what I would find out if I ever put a camera on Rascal. He owns this planet, and naturally, all the homes around here. My sister lives across the street which he found out, and keeps showing up at her door begging to be let in. Now this is a cat with his own personal kitty door who can enter his own home anytime... he mainly needs to mark every litterbox he comes across.

In your case, if you care about those cats, I would still feed them - who knows what they get from those unpleasant people. 

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they get plenty of food but if I see they are losing weight I'll step in again and put food out. They got in the habit because I was putting out food for Henryetta.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found out today that the other two cats (Arabella and Olivia) due indeed belong to the people behind me.
One less thing for you to worry over and glad you were able to ask them !!! The cats do look pretty healthy in the picture you posted. :)

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One less thing for you to worry over and glad you were able to ask them !!! The cats do look pretty healthy in the picture you posted.
I'm a little perturbed with those people, to tell you the truth. It's not the cats' fault; it's the owners who let them roam around and it's mine for having food out all the time when I was trying to help Henryetta (and those two since I didn't know for sure about them). Now the pair are at my door morning and night begging for food. It's the black tortie that creates the main trouble. She's fearless and peers in the door, yowls at me constantly and walks next to me when I go outside and today basically blocked me from going up the steps to go in the house! She's not threatening, but she is in the way. I don't want her running into the house. She may have fleas and I don't want a fight with Chaucer as I don't know her FIV status. The fact that Chaucer was sitting on the other side of the door looking at her with flattened ears and twitching tail didn't deter her.  I had a morsel of food left in the can I'd taken out to Henryetta and finally had to drop that bit away from the steps so I could go inside. I am gradually reducing the food I have to give them. A small handful on the driveway well away from the house is it and I did that this morning. I have now had to pull the curtains over the sliding door to give the impression I am not home or Chole/Arabella would still be at the door yowling. Today they did appear to eat like they were hungry so I think those people let them go around eating at others homes to supplement their diet thinking if we are fool enough to feed them then so be it. I do not mind feeding some strays or ferals if I know they need it, but it's ridiculous to feed other people's pets who do not look like they are in need of food and do have a home. It is expensive, as you know, feeding multiple cats. I will have two adults and 5 kittens of my own to feed soon and I do not need the added expense of feeding the neighbor's cats as well.