New to Board

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have moved to my new place. I don't have a spare room now. So I am having stay in the same bedroom as me. i did not assemble my bed so the mattress is on the floor. I'll still have 2 litter boxes for her. Is there any other tips for sharing a room with her?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous! What a face!!!! Keeping the mattress on the floor is perfect...and 2 litterboxes is wonderful! Keeping things relatively quiet -but not frighteningly quiet :) - is good. Keep a radio on low when you're gone. And when you enter the room, always announce yourself softly to her so she's never taken off guard by your arrival. And talk talk talk to her....softly. Even read to her. I think you'll end up with the sweetest, softest, cutest roommate ever! (And for now, keep her carrier open so she has a "safe harbor." )

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize ahead of time. I had a groomer clean up Yuki the other day. I know members had stated to hold off. But I had to, I just felt Yuki was miserable not being able to clean herself. The groomer stated the reason shesmelled odd was due to engine fluids and oil. She wasn't grooming herself due to the toxic stuff on her. The cleaning took about 1 1/2 hours. The groomer stated she was nervoys around the water but once cleaned. She was a sweet cuddler. Today when i checked on her, she was still sleeping, more like passed out. All the noise, i was surprised she slept though it. Lol.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds like a good call.
  Looking forward to hearing more about how she's going now that stuff is off her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like you did the right thing. I'm amazed that she behaved herself at the groomers. I had to take one cat in to be bathed after she crawled inside a car engine and they had to sedate her before they could do anything. "Nervous"  is very impressive. Good job Yuki and Jacques.

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good call. :)   Looking forward to hearing more about how she's going now that stuff is off her.

It sounds like you did the right thing. I'm amazed that she behaved herself at the groomers. I had to take one cat in to be bathed after she crawled inside a car engine and they had to sedate her before they could do anything. "Nervous"  is very impressive. Good job Yuki and Jacques.

:high5:
Thanks all! I'll keep you posted on how Yuki progresses. The groomer has alot of experience with fersls. She has a rescued fersl herself. She stated that Yuki is a pure feral form her experience, and more like a kitten who was mistrested and abandoned by a human caretaker. .

Last edited:

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are very much in tune with Yuki, and I applaud you for deciding what was the lesser of two evils, and having her bathed. There is nothing worse than the smell of motor oil!   I have a certain suspicion that Yuki is up on your bed right this minute!  Please send update photo of her current " pretty kitty " new look ( and smell!)  She looks sort of like a Siamese mix to me.    Can't wait for update!

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are very much in tune with Yuki, and I applaud you for deciding what was the lesser of two evils, and having her bathed. There is nothing worse than the smell of motor oil!   I have a certain suspicion that Yuki is up on your bed right this minute!  Please send update photo of her current " pretty kitty " new look ( and smell!)  She looks sort of like a Siamese mix to me.    Can't wait for update!
I will get pics up once my internet is set up at my new place. Yuki seems to be hesitant around me. She still does those silent hisses when I get close. Ironically, she did not do that the vet or with the groomer. A friend asked if they were female and I stated yes. My friend told me she might have an aversion to males.

Last night, I have a hear to heart talk with her. I took the top off the carrier and she hissed a little when I slowly reached for her. Then I placed my hand on her back while soothingly spoke to her. She relaxed her body after a few minutes. Then I moved up and softly scratched behind her ears and head. She stayed relax and relaxed her eyes while I talked to her. This lasted for about half an hour before I stopped and placed the top back on.

Later in the night, I was awaken to her quiet chirps. When I checked, she was sitting on the floor next to my bed looking at me. I got up to clean her box and she returned to her safe haven.

I'm concerned that Yuki may not be receptive to me or males and may need to be rehomed to a female. I'll keep trying to work with her, but the news of some cats not liking a gender is quite distressing.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is making great progress!!  She looks so much for relaxed!!!

I will get pics up once my internet is set up at my new place. Yuki seems to be hesitant around me. She still does those silent hisses when I get close. Ironically, she did not do that the vet or with the groomer. A friend asked if they were female and I stated yes. My friend told me she might have an aversion to males.

Last night, I have a hear to heart talk with her. I took the top off the carrier and she hissed a little when I slowly reached for her. Then I placed my hand on her back while soothingly spoke to her. She relaxed her body after a few minutes. Then I moved up and softly scratched behind her ears and head. She stayed relax and relaxed her eyes while I talked to her. This lasted for about half an hour before I stopped and placed the top back on.

Later in the night, I was awaken to her quiet chirps. When I checked, she was sitting on the floor next to my bed looking at me. I got up to clean her box and she returned to her safe haven.

I'm concerned that Yuki may not be receptive to me or males and may need to be rehomed to a female. I'll keep trying to work with her, but the news of some cats not liking a gender is quite distressing.
You are making excellent progress with her.  Please do not give up on her.  She has been through a lot recently especially with the groomer/vet and your recent move.  She were able to scratch behind her eyes and pet her and love her.  She was talking to you last night when she was chirping.  Maybe she wanted up on the bed with you? 

Do not be discouraged.  She will take time to adjust to indoor living and life with someone who loves her.  Does she have free roam of your apartment or just your room? 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard that cats respond to women's voices more than they do to men's because women have softer, higher pitched voices that cats find easier to hear. This doesn't mean she prefers women to men though. As @ShadowsRescue  said, you've made excellent progress with her. Being able to pet her and her chirping at you are signs that you've come a long way together. She's really starting to trust you. Don't give up, you're doing so well.

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is making great progress!!  She looks so much for relaxed!!!

You are making excellent progress with her.  Please do not give up on her.  She has been through a lot recently especially with the groomer/vet and your recent move.  She were able to scratch behind her eyes and pet her and love her.  She was talking to you last night when she was chirping.  Maybe she wanted up on the bed with you? 

Do not be discouraged.  She will take time to adjust to indoor living and life with someone who loves her.  Does she have free roam of your apartment or just your room? 
I appreciate the support! She is still in one room. The bedroom but now, she has me as the roommate.

I took her to the vet for her 2nd series of shots. The were able to have a better determination of her age. She still had some baby teeth left. So the are saying she is 6 months old instead of 9 months currently.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you've made AMAZING progress with her! We have a friend who took in a feral last fall (the feral that we actually brought inside was that feral's sister) and they are just now able to barely touch her. & she barely moves from a chair....although she is finally making a bit of progress).

Please know I don't tell this to scare you by any means-but to help you remember it's only been a month :) (& I use "only" knowing how hard that "only a month" can be!). in the "cat socialization world" a month is a short time to make the progress you e made with her!!

Her letting you pet her behind the ears for that long (several of our cats wouldn't be up for that!), and reacting with contented, closed eyes is fantastic. The eyes closing are right up there with purring -that she's willing to close her eyes, forget about predators, and trust you completely is huge! And she wouldn't be chirping if, again, she weren't getting comfortable with you & trusting you --/terrified kitties don't chirp as it might draw attention & predators. So I wouldn't worry she needs to be with anyone but you - I think you're doing an outstanding job!

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is her with her clean fur and ears!  The location of her safe zone is near the other end of the room in the corner towards the foot end of the bed.

Recently, she doesn't use her safe zone box anymore and now nests at the head of my bed.  Bear in mind, I have the mattress on the floor still, so she's nesting between the wall and the head of the bed which is close to my head.  I have a body pillow covering that space, so it's like a cozy cave for her.

This is her in the cat burrito (aka Purrito).   The pheromone collar was too loose on her and while she was eating, it slipped under her chin and became a gag in her mouth.  It was late at night and I heard her gagging.  I woke up and saw her silhouette jumping in the air in distress.  I turned on the light and she ran into her safe zone where she continued to bang herself against the wall to free the gag.  She hissed at me when i tried to hold her, so I had to use this maneuver to control her.  She calmed down when wrapped up.  I was able to loosen up the collar and tighten up the collar so it doesn't slip like that again.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She looks so much better after her bath.

You're making great progress with her, she trusts you enough to sleep that close to you and you rescued her from the scary collar gag. Cats remember things like that, you really are her hero.

Thanks for the update, I'd been wondering how you were getting on.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh it is so wonderful to hear from you again! This is such a love story! She knows that you love her, especially if she is sleeping up by your head! Do you think she really needs to even  wear that collar anymore?  She seems to be quite comfortable with you, your scent - especially that she can more without that oil odor no longer interfering with your introductions! All here are so pleased how things are progressing!  Keep us posted. Love the photos!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for updating.  She looks like a different cat.  So much more relaxed.  You are doing a great job with her.  Keep the updates and photos coming.

jacques t

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the kind remarks of our progress.  

Another update to remark.  I woke up in the middle of the night, last night, sensing I was being watched for some reason.  And I was right.  Yuki was sitting on the bed to the left of me relaxing.  However, she saw me looking over at her and she went back to her cave. lol

Now to have her do that while the light is on and when I am awake!