New Stray

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few days ago A new friendly old strat cat came to my house.He's old and he seems unhealthy so I tried to do the best I can do and Cleaned off the dirt from his eyes and gave him a bit of food and water.On Saturday,While my parents were watching TV and I was in my room,I heard growling,then full up banging on the door and I rushed outside and there was the old grey cat fighting with a another stray black cat.I tried to break it up as fast as I could by making loud noises and eventually the black cat ran away.It was noght and the Grey cat also ran off And I didn't see him again until today.I noticed he was very hurt (as in the images below).I cleaned the wound near his ear with warm water and a clean rag and I read that this could be something called cherry eye but I feel like it could be something to do with the fight with the other cat.He seems fine and is acting normally But I'm still very worried.I'm a minor and My parents don't want to go the vet because of money issues although I feel like I could convince my mom to take him to a rescue.What Can I do to help him out.I would really really appreciate the help.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days ago A new friendly old strat cat came to my house.He's old and he seems unhealthy so I tried to do the best I can do and Cleaned off the dirt from his eyes and gave him a bit of food and water.On Saturday,While my parents were watching TV and I was in my room,I heard growling,then full up banging on the door and I rushed outside and there was the old grey cat fighting with a another stray black cat.I tried to break it up as fast as I could by making loud noises and eventually the black cat ran away.It was noght and the Grey cat also ran off And I didn't see him again until today.I noticed he was very hurt (as in the images below).I cleaned the wound near his ear with warm water and a clean rag and I read that this could be something called cherry eye but I feel like it could be something to do with the fight with the other cat.He seems fine and is acting normally But I'm still very worried.I'm a minor and My parents don't want to go the vet because of money issues although I feel like I could convince my mom to take him to a rescue.What Can I do to help him out.I would really really appreciate the help.
Three words: CONVINCE YOUR MOM. Right away. This cat needs veterinary help NOW.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did we ever give you the info for Alley Cat Allies?

Feral Friends Network® Connect

You can fill out the form, let your parents know you are doing this, and see if they reply. Don't ask them right out to take the cat; as for help with local rescues who might help. The way that this works is that you will be communicating with rescuers in your area who are associated with Alley Cat Allies. They are all volunteers, so sometimes you get an answer and sometimes you don't. You may have to try more than one person.

Can you google "cat rescues near me" and see what comes up?

I agree that this cat needs attention now as those are serious injuries. This may or may not be cherry eye. Even if it is, don't attempt to replace it yourself as videos on the internet will suggest that you can.

Since this cat is friendly, you could try to put Neosporin on the other injury....but not the one with the pain reliever in it. This is on the back of his head where he can't lick it?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To add to your excellent suggestions and sources, fionasmom fionasmom , I should add that animalrescuedirectory.net has a by-state directory of rescue entities that may be helpful; also, Best Friends Animal Society's website, bestfriends.org, has a lot of good info on feral/free-roaming cats which may be helpful. They have many affiliated shelters/groups nationwide, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it's near his ear And I already tried cleaning it with a rag and warm water.Where can I get Neosperin though?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few animal rescues popped up and They say it doesn't take long to go in car.
Oh, you're in L.A. too! STRAY CAT ALLIANCE. Maybe MILO'S.
Neosporin can be gotten online from any drug store (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) or online from them. It's affordable and it's good to keep on hand. I am never without it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Continue to google "cat rescues in Los Angeles". It might take a little bit of time, but you might make a connection. Ask anyone who can't help if they know of a rescue who can. Petsmart has cat adoptions in the stores and you might try contacting them for advice. It is usually run by a specific cat rescue group, not the store, so you would need to get the name. Usually it is quite clear if you go inside to the cat adoption area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone contacted me from a nearby Rescue callee Stray Cat Alliance.They just gave me info for nearby(but kinda really far) Vet clínics that can check cats for microchips since this cat is friendly and might have had a previous owner.I'll see if they respond again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone contacted me from a nearby Rescue callee Stray Cat Alliance.They just gave me info for nearby(but kinda really far) Vet clínics that can check cats for microchips since this cat is friendly and might have had a previous owner.I'll see if they respond again.
SCA is affiliated with Best Friends Animal Society and they are EXCELLENT.