New Slow Feeder

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought a pair of slow feeders and my cats are trying them for the first time. The two of them already ate, after much hesitation, but they've only eaten a very small amount all day. My worry is, and sorry if it is ridiculous and just me being overprotective, won't they go hungry? Or will they be able to eat enough even with the slow feeder? 🤔 I thought they would spend more time there but eat more, not such little portions at a time but I'd like to hear from anyone who has transitioned to slow feeders. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't edit so I'll do a follow up. I mostly ask because one of my kitties doesn't want to eat from there and I'm afraid to leave him hungry overnight. I already saw the two of them eat from it once, so I know they have been able to. I suppose the answer is to leave him to figure it out. Sigh. Anyway, leaving you with a picture of my boys to make up for this silly question.

c49e0995-30d9-4341-8716-672eb1115884.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very handsome boys! Did they eat more from the new bowls overnight? What type of food is in them, and what of slow feeder bowls are they. I did buy a slow feeder bowl that was a little difficult for my boy to use, so depending on what type of bowl you got, that could be the issue. Mine was for both dogs and cats, and I think it really was much better suited for dogs. If you are still having issues, can you post a picture of the bowl?

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They ate a little but not much. Their bowls would have been nearly empty usually but they are pretty full. I feed them kibble, Royal Canine Hairball Control since Freddie has longer hair and struggles a bit with hairballs and different types of wet food. The bowl I got is only for cats as far as I saw. The link is here, and here's a picture. I put these new bowls on top of the ones they have for height. That's Miles eating which just gave me some peace of mind but they are still eating very little. I don't know if they will eventually get used to it or what to do. Did you find a different bowl for your boy? Thank you for answering.

IMG_7139.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those bowls should work out fine for your two. It's probably just matter of getting used to them. I did see in one review that one person actually piled up a little food only in the middle of the dish so their cat could munch out for a short while before getting to the food in the grooves, possibly helping them learn how to use this dish better :dunno:.

The only thing I can see with your set up that could be hurting is that it appears they are slanting down towards a wall? If you could get them to slant in the opposite direction I think it would be easier for your cats to access without having to stretch over the entire bowl. But I could be wrong and maybe they aren't slanting at all :lol:.

Yes, I got a different bowl for my guy.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you're worried, you can put a but on the mat near the feeders to entice them and let them do the rest!

How sturdy are they on top of the other bowls? If they are rocking a bit, that can discourage your cats. If you try putting them on the floor, they can use their feet to get the peices out too.

I am surprised. Nobel would have thrown that upside down and then eaten them off the floor.

Do they onlt eat dry? Or does this suppliment wet food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Did you get these because you were concerned about them eating too much and gaining weight?

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a really good idea, I'm going to do that! Ok, I just went and added a bit more kibble to pile it up. They are eating but very little, even though I only wanted to slow down Freddie not to restrict their intake, I suppose both things go hand in hand. I just don't want to unnecessarily stress them out.

Haha it's probably just the bad angle/picture, here's a better one. 😄

IMG_7142.jpg

Also a slow feeder? Did he get used to that one easily?

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you're worried, you can put a but on the mat near the feeders to entice them and let them do the rest!

How sturdy are they on top of the other bowls? If they are rocking a bit, that can discourage your cats. If you try putting them on the floor, they can use their feet to get the peices out too.

I am surprised. Nobel would have thrown that upside down and then eaten them off the floor.

Do they onlt eat dry? Or does this suppliment wet food?
They are pretty sturdy, thankfully the new ones fit perfectly within their previous ones. That idea of putting some over the mat is good, I'm going to do that. Haha, I know, I wondered how they would react but they have been more hesitant to approach than anything. They are slowly getting closer but I feel like they are still a bit stressed over the change, which I don't like.

They also eat wet food separately but not every day because they are not crazy about it. I need to try different brands since the two I did (Hills & Royal) doesn't seem to be a big hit with them. 🤔

Hi
Did you get these because you were concerned about them eating too much and gaining weight?
Hi! One of them has been puking up the food right after eating and I was thinking that he's probably eating too much too fast. 😅

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Captain can't eat dry food at all, even with slow transitions/introductions to another brand, he'd throw it back up.

Hopefully slowing their eating habits down helps, but also maybe try a different brand?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a lot of inexpensive brands with limited ingredients. They are usually a big hit with most cats. I always encourage at least one can of wet food per day with extra water, if it can be affordable to the owner.

How was their eating today? Any better?

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, guys!

Yeah, I'm going to buy them different types and see what they like most. I'd definitely like to give them more wet food too so they will be going through a galore of flavors.

Their eating has improved, yeah. I've been able to relax a bit more but I'm still keeping an eye on them. One of them threw up a hairball today, which I have a feeling had been bothering him and might have been the reason he was puking his food. I think their vet must be sick of me texting her every time they throw up but as it is evident by this thread, I'm a worrier mom. The whole story is that the vet came to give them a check up a couple of weeks ago because one of them was throwing up (the main reason why I got these slow feeders) and I have kept her updated on their food intake and litter usage. She believes (along with a previous vet who I also asked about this puking problem when it started) that it is an extra intake of fur, given that my boy who pukes the most has long hair and he's been shedding like crazy since Spring started. I just can't help but worry whether there could be something wrong with my boy even though two vets, and a third retired vet that is a family friend, told me the same thing. 😕

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to say the same thing. Brushing or combing him few days a week could go a long way towards keeping those hairballs at bay. I find with one of my cats that combing works better. Brushing works better for my other cat. Really depends on the type of fur they have.

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was trying to brush him every day but it is a bit challenging. He doesn't mind when I brush his back but his sides he barely lets me, but I still do it every other day and now I'm going back to every day. The kibble I give him is also for hairball control and I'm also giving him a bit of a laxative the doctor recommended that is aimed to help him poop the extra fur in his tummy too, and thankfully he loves the taste. Doing all of this still has him puking, which is why I've been concerned, but the vet tells me I just have to wait until this shedding season is over and continue to brush him, which I'm grateful you guys suggest too. 😅