New Scratching Post...

devine^brunet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey

The scratching post i have for my cat is begining to fall appart so soon i will need to get him a new one. I'm just abit scared that when i get him a new one and chuck out his old one he wont use it because he cant smell his scent on their or he wont recognise it and therefore use the carpet.....

Someone must of been in my situatuon before...all advice will be good
Thanks

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by DEViNE^BRUNET

I'm just abit scared that when i get him a new one and chuck out his old one he wont use it because he cant smell his scent on their or he wont recognise it and therefore use the carpet
a few thoughts:

1. save a piece of the old one and hang it on the new one.
2. rub the new one all over with the old one before you tooss it,
3. rub her cheeks and top base of her tail and then rub your hands all over the post
4. spray it with honeysuckle or cat nip- which ever your cat prefers.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by DEViNE^BRUNET

Hey

The scratching post i have for my cat is begining to fall appart so soon i will need to get him a new one. I'm just abit scared that when i get him a new one and chuck out his old one he wont use it because he cant smell his scent on their or he wont recognise it and therefore use the carpet.....

Someone must of been in my situatuon before...all advice will be good
Thanks
I had a similar situation, but not quite the same... Oliver has a carpet/sisal post and the sisal was REALLY sad looking and he actually broke through some of it... so I decided his birthday present would be me re-roping the sisal part of his post (I figured, hey worth a shot before forking out money for a whole new post - the sisal was only a few bucks at Lowes)... I was also worried he may not use it after I re-roped it cuz he doesnt really use the carpet part of it... so I ripped off the old rope and put on the new (yeah, lots of hot glue burns), put the post back where I always kept it, brushed Ollie a few times to get some clumps of fur which I then just smooshed onto the sisal and a few minutes later he was over there scratching! So I praised him and he uses it like normal... I mean you gotta think, that post you have now didn't smell like your kitty when you first brought it home... I'm sure it would help things if you were able to purchase the same post that you have now and use some of the suggestions above!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A new post in the same location with a little catnip shouldn't be a problem at all
. It won't be long before his smell is all over it.

Cats don't really like scratching on carpet anyway. The sisal is much better for them.

petpredicaments

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with all the above but also if you can, get one the same or similar to his current one. I had the same problem and ended up with 3 they wouldnt use. Then I twigged and bought them 1 exactly the same as the type they had 1st and they took straight to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devine^brunet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks heaps for all your suggestions guys

Hopefully they work, ill let ya know how it goes

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We found one like this (minus the tassles) that was about $10. They LOVE it (well, did before the Soft Claws, which is another option you might like to take a look at), and they're so cheap! Here's a picture and description from the Petsmart website.

A catnip-infused scratching box to drive your cat up the wall! Made of recycled cardboard, this whimsically decorated scratching box also has yarn tassles attached to each corner for more fun! Comes with a package of organic ZOOM! catnip that's really the cat's meow.

Let us know how it goes!