new roomates persians

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyone have experience with persians? new roomate is bringing hers in and shes seen my cat (siamese) chase and attack other cats that try to go in our yard

my roomate seems to think her cats are to "classy' and docile and wont be able to defend themselves if my cat decides to go after them

do you think her worrys are justified? we will follow all the proper introduction methods of course but my roomate keeps stresssing

one of her cats is also declawed

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope a few of the breeders chime in ... but the Persians I have known are STILL cats be it they are a bit more laid back and due to long hair and sometimes breathing issues are not typically outdoor kitties .. The have nails and teeth like all cats..

My declawed longhair pulled down a large crow at age 17

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
was she a persion?

one of her cats also has asthma

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Persian breeder and even though Persians are stereotypically laid back there can be some little spitfire Persians too.

Some Persians will defend themselves and some will take it just like any other cat. I would go through all the formal introductory procedures and if this doesn't work out is she able to keep her cats in her room? I would be worried about the declawed baby not being able to defend itself.

Do you have feliway?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

was she a persion?

one of her cats also has asthma
No.. just a DLH ..

Is she treating the asthma ? are the triggers known...

Sam is far more experienced with this breed than I am

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're talking cat to human behavior the stereotype may hold more true, but cat to cat is always different.

I too wonder about the kitty with asthma. I hope you know what this means for you. You may have to make some drastic changes in everything from how often you clean to what you clean with, litter, anything scented (air fresheners, detergents, perfumes, etc). If you don't then you face a cat having an attack that can kill it.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am not sure on the health issues and what triggers them yet my roomate just dropped them off and put them in her room and is out for the whole halloween party thingy

my cat keeps going to the door and trying to get in by pushing on it with her paws the door is locked tho so she cant get in

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

i am not sure on the health issues and what triggers them yet my roomate just dropped them off and put them in her room and is out for the whole halloween party thingy

my cat keeps going to the door and trying to get in by pushing on it with her paws the door is locked tho so she cant get in
Sorry if it was said .. as I just read this reply this time.. do you have feliway going? have you started scent swapping?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah i have a fellaway collar for my cat that i put on her havent started the scent swapping yet