New Residency....without Some Loved Ones...and A Lot Of Unfamiliarness ; Cat Behavior Advice Needed

BeckyMM450

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I need some advice that would help my two male cats transition better into their new home .
Everything was going great until it wasnt great. I did what I could to help them pre moving day. Weeks before I gave them shirts that my mom had worn so they'd know her scent ( they don't know /remember my mom) we were allowed to let them sniff around the new apartment before so it wouldnt feel so new when the time came. I tried to make it less traumatic for them any way I could. On moving day I had setup their safe room Toys , their cat towers , clothes with familiar scents everything. The ride to the new place was okay neither one seemed too bad...it seemed to be heading the right way . Until the night came. And everything is...I don't know I need advice on what to do_Only one of my cats seems to be having more issues than the other.My oldest cat Jesse has been crying all night. He's clearly distressed about the new place/ and the lack of familiar faces . He doesn't remember my mom and he never really had a close bond with my older brother. I'm the one hes most attached too but he's been used to multiple people all his life my dad was closest to him after me. I think he's not use to only having me along with a new place he doesnt know. If anyone could please give me advice on how to help him or make it easier for him I'd love some feedback .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't say how long ago you moved, or how old your cats are. Cats are all about their territory, and they aren't fond of change. I hear about it all night long for three or four nights if I simply move a piece of furniture from one side of the room to another, so think what it will take to adjust to even the WALLS being new! That second article that rubysmama rubysmama gave you should help, especially. Other than that, mostly it will just take time and a LOT of patience on your part! Ask your housemates/family to please be patient while your cats adjust and make their new home their own!