New research shows that cats are able to self-regulate their diet.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, see that is exactly the problem. That study and most scientific studies aren't meant for consumption by ordinary people. The studies are conducted by scientists and the results are meant to be reviewed and possibly used by other scientists who have some expertise in the area covered by the study and so are able to understand the implications of the study results.
...but then there are news articles written about it, pulling information out of context and writing it incorrectly, so that consumer think the study says they should feed wet and dry.
Yup, the media misrepresenting a study for the sake of an eye catching headline is one of my pet peeves.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...but then there are news articles written about it, pulling information out of context and writing it incorrectly, so that consumer think the study says they should feed wet and dry. :rolleyes:
:yeah: and when they do they will naturally "self-regulate".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of read that part as saying "feed your cat canned and dry instead of just dry" but maybe that's just me :tongue2:. I think recommending all canned is kind of revolutionary. Every time I mention it to anybody you'd think I was advocating feeding them caviar and truffles :lol3:.

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...(Another interesting study would be what percentage of moisture in a wet diet offers optimal health benefits.)  Until they do that, I don't think there is a complete basis for promoting a wet/dry diet.
According to the National Research Council's "Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats", any diet containing less than 62% water will result in a dehydrated state (Chap 2, pg 23, first para.).  ;-}

AC

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And I am not the only one who reached the conclusion that the study implicates that cats should be provided with both types of food. Did you read the CBC News article?
I also reached that conclusion.
Mschauer kindly helped me to see that I can't say that, from a scientific viewpoint, that there is something wrong with the sentence in the study that lead me to that conclusion. All I can really say is, it made me wonder if there wasn't a tiny ulterior motive there, but that's only because I'm already suspicious of people who say it's OK for kibble to form part of a cat's diet.
For anyone that's interested, here are a couple of press releases for that study:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/cl-psn121412.php

http://www.mars.com/global/press-center/press-list/news-releases.aspx?SiteId=94&Id=3797

They both include this sentence:

"Providing cats with a combination of both wet and dry foods enables them to not only mix a diet in line with their preferred macronutrient target, but also express their desire to sample different foods."

That's a quote from Dr. Adrian Hewson-Hughes, who is one of the authors of the study.

Make of it what you will.

@Auntie Crazy: Thanks for that data! Very helpful.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't pay attention Mike. ;) I had the same reaction at first - but his was a follow-up study, published Dec 12, this year. :nod:
This is the new one: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00360-012-0727-y/fulltext.html
Consistent proportional macronutrient intake selected by adult domestic cats (Felis catus) despite variations in macronutrient and moisture content of foods offered, published in the Journal of Comparative Physiology. Authors: Adrian K. Hewson-Hughes1 , Victoria L. Hewson-Hughes1, Alison Colyer1, Andrew T. Miller1, Simon R. Hall1, David Raubenheimer2 and Stephen J. Simpson3
The one you're referring to is this one: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/214/6/1039.full#R22
Geometric analysis of macronutrient selection in the adult domestic cat, Felis catus, pubished in the Journal of Experimental Biology (March 2011). Authors: Adrian K. Hewson-Hughes1,*, Victoria L. Hewson-Hughes1, Andrew T. Miller1, Simon R. Hall1, Stephen J. Simpson2 and David Raubenheimer3
The discussion in the thread involves both studies, but the new study explored whether dry food or wet food would affect their macronutrient content choice.
:doh3: Well I missed the boat! Now I have to go read the second study. Seriously though, thank you for the correction :nod:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read Laurie's second study on this issue yet but tried to read some of the responses. I know that Waltham's take on wet and dry is that an ideal diet is 80% wet to 20% kibble. I have read so much research on this my head spins sometimes. What I know for sure is that my 4 indoor cats are on a 90% wet to 10% kibble. I am completely comfortable with their current diet. I am also looking forward to the new Nutro cat food line coming out which will be grain free. Can't wait to try it.

The outside feral is a different story. She is mostly on an all wet diet. She rarely eats kibble but sometimes nibbles at it. SHE gets 3 wet meals a day unlike the indoor cats, who get 2 wet meals a day. So far, the feral's check ups have all been pretty good with the exception of the occasional bout of worms. Does she self regulate? I'd have to say yes. She obviously eats what her body needs. She is as close to 100% wet as any cat I've seen. Like I said, she will graze on kibble but very, very little of it.