New rescued kitten, lethargic, hypothermia, diahrrea

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescue cats on an island.
This kitten came to my doorstep 6 weeks ago and she fell ill, with flu symptoms last month, for one week I had her in a large cage with antibiotics etc.
She felt better after and was released outside.
Then today we found her in the afternoon in the garden again lethargic and with hypothermia  34.5, diahrrea and weak, we brought her in.
She has not been vaccinated yet. she's around 3-4 months old
I gave her warm fluids and put her in an electric blanket. now she has 39 C temp. ok, is the electric blanket also.
She has appetite, not a lot, but she eats a bit of yummy food. but she is clearly not well. 
I just hope is not poison. She had a couple of blood drops in the diarrhea, but it could be from the irritation as well assuming that she's had diarrhea for some days now.
Her belly is soft and I would say a bit bloated, but not huge.
I have the feeling is panleukopenia  is there anything that you would suggest doing based on your experience that I am not doing ?

thank you again,

Ronit

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I rescue cats on an island.
This kitten came to my doorstep 6 weeks ago and she fell ill, with flu symptoms last month, for one week I had her in a large cage with antibiotics etc.
She felt better after and was released outside.
Then today we found her in the afternoon in the garden again lethargic and with hypothermia  34.5, diahrrea and weak, we brought her in.
She has not been vaccinated yet. she's around 3-4 months old
I gave her warm fluids and put her in an electric blanket. now she has 39 C temp. ok, is the electric blanket also.
She has appetite, not a lot, but she eats a bit of yummy food. but she is clearly not well. 
I just hope is not poison. She had a couple of blood drops in the diarrhea, but it could be from the irritation as well assuming that she's had diarrhea for some days now.
Her belly is soft and I would say a bit bloated, but not huge.
I have the feeling is panleukopenia  is there anything that you would suggest doing based on your experience that I am not doing ?

thank you again,

Ronit
Can you get the cat to a vet?  Cats with panleuk usually run a fever, not be hypothermic.  But obviously she is ill, thats a dangerous temp for her to have.  About what age is she and what is the outside temp where you live?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten is more lively today !  I had her on sub q fluids 3 times yesterday and this morning too.
She eats better and seems better.
The vets here cannot do more than I do but to guess and give her an injection based on their guess (I am sure that many kittens that have died in my arms after being at the vet is because of their guessing, so I just try to do my best at home and have been getting better results that at the vet, fluids, warmth, antibiotics, vitamins have proved to save more kitties.....  there is no vet lab to do blood tests, for any case if you send your pet's blood here to be examined by the time the results are back, at least 48 hrs later  you already lost so much valuable time and in the meantime the vet had already given the wrong shots, or when they guess, the correct therapy...... it is a rural area and when they became vets here there were only farm animals, just a few pets, still they have not modernize their establishments to be able to do proper diagnosis....

Anyway,  she is eating much better this morning and is more lively. the temp here should be around 10-15 C at night, 15-20 in the day, but is moist. This is why it was so strange that she was so hypothermic, we found her in the late afternoon, sun was still out.
Still giving her fluids and antibiotics, so  I think she will be better soon, but I have the suspicion that she is very fragile and therefore she's getting sick again.
She is around 3-4 months I guess cause she's not more than 2,5 kilo.  

Thank you StephenD !

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@ronit

I'm so glad you rescued her.  It's possible she was just succumbing to the elements combined with a lack of food and she couldn't keep her temp up and was just dying, but it looks like you saved her.  You are a regular vet hospital!  

May I ask what island you are on or what country?  It sounds very exciting !

Stephen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi StephenQ

Naxos Island, Greece.

Yes, she seems to get better by the hour...

And yes, you can call this place a vet hospital..... with 11 cats in "intensive care" for different reasons....

Have you ever been to Greece or the islands ? lovely places, but lots of cats.. everywhere, for many greeks is still unnatural to spay/neuter....

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah nice, i googled it, very beautiful.  I have been many places but sadly not yet to Greece, but some day I hope to.  You are doing a great thing, and yes i am sorry the greeks don't seem to believe in spay/neuter, causes so much death.  But you are doing great work, and should be proud of your efforts and many successes!