New Queen Care Help

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's an excellent link @mani !!

Mamalolo93 Mamalolo93 I'm just curious, did a vet diagnose Ghiardia? That was always a hard one for me to find on a fecal. lol As long as you wear gloves when cleaning any and all of their things you should be good. Be certain to pay extra attention to keeping the litter box sparkling clean.

Try not to freak out, I've been around animals with Ghiardia for years working at a shelter and vet clinic and have yet to contract it. ;)

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Risk of catching giardia from your cat is very small, and often it's a different strain altogether. Giardia can be present in cats and dogs but they are asymptomatic until a stressful situation, like pregnancy, occurs. The timing would suggest the symptoms were triggered by labor, versus coincidentally just catching it at the exact time of labor. So it's very possible it's been in your environment for some time, and you have not gotten it, so I really wouldn't worry about that. Just always wash your hands after cleaning her litter box.

Believe me when I say giardia is not the worst thing that could have happened. I have found so often that the stress of what's to come is worse than what's actually happening. Take a deep breath, maybe go out and get some fresh air. Everything is okay. Giardia is very much resolvable. As long as kittens are continuing to gain weight, which from what I gather they are, they will be fine. Giardia, fleas, URIs, all of those are nuisances, but they can be dealt with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's an excellent link @mani !!

Mamalolo93 Mamalolo93 I'm just curious, did a vet diagnose Ghiardia? That was always a hard one for me to find on a fecal. lol As long as you wear gloves when cleaning any and all of their things you should be good. Be certain to pay extra attention to keeping the litter box sparkling clean.

Try not to freak out, I've been around animals with Ghiardia for years working at a shelter and vet clinic and have yet to contract it. ;)
Yes one fecal sample have a diagnosis.
The meds they have her havnt helped at all. Good news is the kittens eye infection is healing, and they are gaining weight.
I'm just so tired of this! She's sick and tired of being in my room and the kittens are almost walking. I wanted it to be better before they were accessable to her litter box.

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Risk of catching giardia from your cat is very small, and often it's a different strain altogether. Giardia can be present in cats and dogs but they are asymptomatic until a stressful situation, like pregnancy, occurs. The timing would suggest the symptoms were triggered by labor, versus coincidentally just catching it at the exact time of labor. So it's very possible it's been in your environment for some time, and you have not gotten it, so I really wouldn't worry about that. Just always wash your hands after cleaning her litter box.

Believe me when I say giardia is not the worst thing that could have happened. I have found so often that the stress of what's to come is worse than what's actually happening. Take a deep breath, maybe go out and get some fresh air. Everything is okay. Giardia is very much resolvable. As long as kittens are continuing to gain weight, which from what I gather they are, they will be fine. Giardia, fleas, URIs, all of those are nuisances, but they can be dealt with.
They are gaining weight but the powdered meds they gave her that are safe for nursing isn't working :(

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fenbendazole
It has been long enough that you should be seeing results. I would make a call to the Vet to request another med be added to TX plan. Usually Metronadizole (Flagyl) or Ronidazole. I'm surprised they didn't give Panacur and Flagyl together when treating. Ghiardia can be fairly resistant to treat in some cases, so just hang in there and be persistent.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she needs metronidazole. I think I suggested that a while back. Please let the vet know right away.

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she needs metronidazole. I think I suggested that a while back. Please let the vet know right away.
Yes but it's super dangerous for kittens...
I have some but it can cause serious side affects, especially since she's nursing.

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not safe for nursing mothers, it can have very serious side affects on the babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it can. You’ll have to wait. Have you tried pumpkin to firm her up in the meantime?

The vet can also give you albon. It won’t cure the giardia, but it may knock it back some and is safe for the kittens.

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can. You’ll have to wait. Have you tried pumpkin to firm her up in the meantime?

The vet can also give you albon. It won’t cure the giardia, but it may knock it back some and is safe for the kittens.
So I called the vet and got two more weeks of panacur and probiotics.
Praying this helps!

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It didn't work, and I'm broke, and she still has terrible diahrrea.
This is Bull!
They said to put her on metronideazol, and separate the kittens.
So I did.
Now the kittens are upset, and one of them has diarrhea.
How bad is it really to just let them nurse while mama is on metronideazol?

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is so engorged :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and let the kittens nurse. They are bigger now and should be fine. In fact, the little metronidazole they get through her milk will help them too. They are too young to be separated from mom!

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and let the kittens nurse. They are bigger now and should be fine. In fact, the little metronidazole they get through her milk will help them too. They are too young to be separated from mom![/QUO
I agree.
I let them nurse last night and this morning.
Figured overnight was fine.
Are you sure all the Time wont cause brain damage?

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and let the kittens nurse. They are bigger now and should be fine. In fact, the little metronidazole they get through her milk will help them too. They are too young to be separated from mom!

I agree.
I let them nurse last night and this morning.
Figured overnight was fine.
Are you sure all the Time wont cause brain damage?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should be fine!

Has mom’s diarrhea begun to improve yet with the meds?