New Puppy Introduction Failure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the cats aren't really the problem anymore. The puppy is not a fan of the kittens at all.

Introductions have gotten to the point that the cats come over to check out the puppy every time and all goes well. I have until this point kept the cats at a safe distance. Today our boldest kitten Midnight came over and rubbed up against the puppy. I was surprised that nothing happened but after a while of Midnight checking out the puppy the puppy attempted to bark/bite/attack Midnight. I had 100% control so nothing happened and Midnight doesn't even know that anything happened but I took the puppy and put her back in her room.

I know this isnt a dog forum but is there anything that will make the puppy more tolerant of the cats or will time only tell? ATM I dont trust the puppy enough to take her off her leash.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spywell

Well the cats aren't really the problem anymore. The puppy is not a fan of the kittens at all.

Introductions have gotten to the point that the cats come over to check out the puppy every time and all goes well. I have until this point kept the cats at a safe distance. Today our boldest kitten Midnight came over and rubbed up against the puppy. I was surprised that nothing happened but after a while of Midnight checking out the puppy the puppy attempted to bark/bite/attack Midnight. I had 100% control so nothing happened and Midnight doesn't even know that anything happened but I took the puppy and put her back in her room.

I know this isnt a dog forum but is there anything that will make the puppy more tolerant of the cats or will time only tell? ATM I dont trust the puppy enough to take her off her leash.
Time and patience. Puppy is being trained that kittens are friends, not something to be barked at or attacked (was it attack or play?) Patience and consistency will teach her this is so.

Are you familiar with puppy training techniques already? Whatever method you are using in other areas (sit stay no drop it down, etc) can be employed to train her behavior toward the kittens too.

It's lovely Midnight is bonding with puppy already (what is puppy's name?) Supervised visits, praise when Puppy behaves toward kittens the way you want, corrections when she does not.

You especially want to work on recall. You want puppy to stop and turn to you immediately regardless of what else is happening.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a puppy that was "supposed" to be a lab (got it at a rescue), and turned out to be a border collie mix. He started trying to herd the cats and the very first thing I taught him was instant "down". So that way the cats were safe, and we got some control over him.

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today was a wild day, and I am sure it will shock you since I will tell you all the details.

I was outside in the shed re aranging my tools while Lucy (puppy) was running around outside in the fenced yard when out of the corner of my eye I seen a Coyote bolt out of nowhere up to the fence. Luckily I had my rifle at the ready in the shed and I grabbed it, ran outside and met the coyote at the fence. When he seen me he froze and stared straight at me. I went to pull the trigger and realised that the safety was on, took it off, went to fire and the bullet was jammed. Got that bullet out and the other jammed, finaly after two jams I got a shot off that went just over the coyotes head, he went sprinting out of the yard and I got another shot off right when he was going around the corner. I thought that was unreal, the fact that it was exactly 2:30PM, and the coyote was as big as our husky.

I know it is fairly common for coyotes to find and usually kill female dogs that are in heat. We wont be letting the puppy out in the yard unsupervised from now on.

Besides that there were no introductions today.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend Dogster forums if you want to ask about your dog's behavior. There are several really good trainers/behaviorists who post there.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today was a wild day, and I am sure it will shock you since I will tell you all the details.

I was outside in the shed re aranging my tools while Lucy (puppy) was running around outside in the fenced yard when out of the corner of my eye I seen a Coyote bolt out of nowhere up to the fence. Luckily I had my rifle at the ready in the shed and I grabbed it, ran outside and met the coyote at the fence. When he seen me he froze and stared straight at me. I went to pull the trigger and realised that the safety was on, took it off, went to fire and the bullet was jammed. Got that bullet out and the other jammed, finaly after two jams I got a shot off that went just over the coyotes head, he went sprinting out of the yard and I got another shot off right when he was going around the corner. I thought that was unreal, the fact that it was exactly 2:30PM, and the coyote was as big as our husky.

I know it is fairly common for coyotes to find and usually kill female dogs that are in heat. We wont be letting the puppy out in the yard unsupervised from now on.

Besides that there were no introductions today.
That is super scary! In the middle of the afternoon? Whereabouts do you live?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it was a coyote? At that size and that time of day it's more likely it was a dog. I saw a dog run though my neighborhood the other day, and I could have sworn it was a coyote....but it was wearing a collar. But of course whether it was a dog or a coyote she could get pregnant (which is very dangerous on her first heat) so keep an eye out. They can mate through chainlink.

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Are you sure it was a coyote? At that size and that time of day it's more likely it was a dog. I saw a dog run though my neighborhood the other day, and I could have sworn it was a coyote....but it was wearing a collar. But of course whether it was a dog or a coyote she could get pregnant (which is very dangerous on her first heat) so keep an eye out. They can mate through chainlink.
I grew up on a farm seen many coyotes and have shot and killed many. Also from wiki:
Coyotes:
Originally Posted by wikipedia

Coyotes typically grow up to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg)
Siberian Husky's:
Originally Posted by wikipedia

The breed standard indicates that the males of the breed are ideally between 21 and 23.5 inches (53 and 60 cm) tall at the withers and weighing between 45 and 60 pounds (20 and 27 kg).
It is very accurate, I said that the Coyote was every bit as tall as my Male Husky who is 22.5 Inches tall and the Coyote is 23-26in's.

After thinking about it I am worried, this coyote must be familiar with Mick(Husky) and Lucy(Puppy). The reason is that Mick is extremely prey drivin and loves nothing more than to hunt. He never barks at Prey but he does bark at other dogs only on our property and also skunks. Lucy barks at everything that moves, and in this scenario both dogs were very quiet and just stared at the Coyote.
Ever since Lucy has been in heat we have been locking her in our fenced in back yard, along with Mick who is in his kennel whenever we are at work.
The other day Mick had a limp and had dug up much of his pen which he has never done for 3yrs. We thought he hurt himself digging, maybe we were wrong.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

That is super scary! In the middle of the afternoon? Whereabouts do you live?
We live in the SouthEast part of Kansas. There is Wichita, Derby and RoseHill, we are right between Derby and Rose Hill on an acre lot.

BTW, we informed the neighbors of the Coyote sighting and one of the neighbors had seen it too a few days before.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ever since Lucy has been in heat we have been locking her in our fenced in back yard, along with Mick who is in his kennel whenever we are at work.
The other day Mick had a limp and had dug up much of his pen which he has never done for 3yrs. We thought he hurt himself digging, maybe we were wrong.
I would definitely NOT recommend leaving a dog in heat outside in the yard when you are not there to watch her! Male dogs will do almost anything to reach a female in heat, and climbing a fence is not a big obstacle to them if there is a female in heat on the other side.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It may help to work with a reward system with your puppy.

Right now I really would advise against removing your dog from the room completely when she behaves improperly towards the kitties, you can actually create more of an issue by doing this.

Since you have her on leash, you're at a huge advantage. Try rewarding your dog when the kitties are around. when the cat comes up to the dog, pet her and give her a treat when the kitty rubs on the dog, pet and treat, keep the dogs focus on you, and off of what the cat is doing.

if you pet and treat, it makes it much easier to transition to just petting and praise and that way you don't have a dog expecting food constantly and getting frustrated when she isn't treated.

Watch the dogs body language its very rare for a dog to snap without showing some sign first. watch the ears tail etc, and as soon as you see it, bring her attention immediately to you.

I have to watch my dog with our new cat, and had to do the same with out other cat, she typically puts her ears up, her little stub gets stiff and she'll focus in all stiffened up for a seccond before darting after the cat, I command No, Sit, and Stay. Which allows the cat to walk into the room and the dog goes back to what she's doing.

Recall is important to, I could yell at my dog all I wanted, if she wasn't trained better, it would do nothing. Luckily you have a puppy, puppies are blank slates, and you'll definately get there