New parent seeks help with a new stray/ feral cat

littleone1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have been giving smaller, more frequent meals with our semi-feral 3 yr old that we trapped and took in New Year's eve.  We give her a small amount on wet food in a bowl, place it right next to us and sit with her while she eats it.  By giving her a small amount each time, she is willing to come out of hiding every time we come in with her food so she can eat.  This way, she associates us even more strongly with food and good times. We are giving her the same amount of food every, but not letting her eat to satiation by just dividing it into 2 portions. It's more like 4 portions now, and she RUNS out from under the couch every time :)  I'm talking like 2 heaping tablespoons each feeding

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You and your partner just gotta act normal and move around the apartment like you usually do. Little weezy will come around when she feels comfortable enough around you guys.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

**UPDATED PROGRESS ON Little Weezy**

Thanks so much for all your consideration and thoughtfulness the last week. My partner took a lot of your suggestions (I'm away on a business trip in Europe right now) and put them to use and she's progressed!

Weezy has now left hiding in the downstairs bathroom and she's exploring the apt (we have a duplex apt in Brooklyn). She's using her litter box and we've been able to move her food upstairs to the kitchen.

The Gerber's is an AMAZING treat- she devoured it like crazy apparently!

Though she's moving about the apt, she's still hiding behind and under furniture while my partner's home. He's been trying to get her out to play and no such like.

He knows she's been roaming the apt and playing with her toys while he's at work but when he's been home, she's been hiding.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much AGAIN for all your support!

xoD
Weezy is very comfortable when he is at work, but frightened when he comes home as the sounds, sights and scents have changed.  She will need to get used to all of the movement and it will also be a change for her when you come back home as you will add new sounds, sights and scents too.  To keep her from hiding under all of the furniture, block it off.  I would leave her one hiding spot, but block off all entrances to other areas.  Does she have a cat tree or other hiding box where she can feel safe? 

Use the baby food as a way to get her to approach you.  Put some on a spoon and offer it to her.  If she eats it all, offer some on your fingers too her.  Make sure your partner is sitting on the floor at her level and not looming over her.  He needs to make himself very likeable.  Offer her yummy treats.  She may not eat them right away, but she will associate him with the yummy goodies.

I also would get some Composure.  You can try the feline composure treats or try the Composure liquid max that you put in their wet food.  This may help her to feel more calm and secure with her new surroundings.  The treats often need to be doubled or tripled at first to see the desired results. 

I am happy she is making progress.  Just take it slowly with her and don't force her.  She needs to take things at her own pace. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmartnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Maia Elizabeth and Shadows Rescue for all this valuable info! I'm looking forward to reconnecting with Weezy when I finally get home Thursday.

Patience and time seems to be the virtuous case for her right now and I sincerely thank you for all your insight and support :)

xo