New parent of a feral kitten, need help! Bloody stool, & gen info on care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I hope things are going well for little kitty and her wonderful people.

Meds the ones I can think of are

Prednisolone... Anti-inflammatory

Cephalexin... Antibiotic

Acetylator... Digestion and bowel health

Cestex ( epsiprantel) tapeworm

Droncit... Tapeworm

Nizoral ( ketoconazole)...Antifungal like ringworm .. do not give with any other medicine

Triamcinulone... Corticosteroid...helps with allergies for itching, redness, etc...do not give with any other medicine.

That's all I can think of but I will look into it some more and see what I can find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I told my friend to get those meds, she said she would get as many as she could, she's coming this wed; so hopefully the deworming works. I moved her to her own room, and she constantly cries, & tries to get back to the living room where I had her before. I haven't been with her much bc I'm truly afraid of getting worms from her, I know the tapeworms are only eatable feces but the other worms she has, I probably may have, bc I clean her litter, & i use sand, the wind blows it up, so i may have contracted some for all I know. Ive had to clean up her feces past 2 days, i put turmeric on her food & it def has helped w the amount of blood in her stool.

I bleached the floors in the living room, she once had an accident on the foam mattress & pillow, I cleaned & threw bleach on their as well. How seriously should I be worried about contracting worms from her, ppl got me so paranoid I've been hesitant to even pet her the past 2 days. She's been eating & drinking just fine now. I really just can't wait till the meds come & she can come back & sleep next to me, as she usually did.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some of the list Im compiling.   Its not done yet, but this is so far I have got, and as your friend arrieves soon...

Dewormers and other useful medicines for practical use.

Which?  If unsure, products made by companies who also make human medicines, for example Bayer, are safe and good.  They don’t  afford any bad reputation.

Similar is for companies producing for veterinarians and veterinary hospitals.  Also their products may be considered as safe.

These are typically sold in pharmacias and at vet offices.  Although they MAY be sold also in well sorted pet shops.  They can also often be  bought by Amazon or Ebay.

Observe, some of the preparates may be exactly the same and even made by the same company, but sold under different names in different countries.

Companies producing for sale OverTheCount  in pet shops, directly to the end consumer the pet owner, are often less reliable, sometimes directly unsuitable.

So, don’t buy OTC in the pet shop, unless you know for sure this is good and safe stuff.

Terramycin paste, much useful for infected eyes.  Very common with ferale kittens.  Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment for anything near the eye

Lysin, often useful against virus infections, useful for humans too.  This is really a food additive, not a medical preparate. Sold typically in shops for health minding people.

Milbomax, a mild all round dewormed. Useful also for young kittens.

Drontal, an useful all round dewormer.  One pill should be enough.  Although may be necessary to repeat a couple of weeks later, as is usual in deworming.

Capstar pills,  kills all grown fleas  practically at once.  Harmless for mammals. (although they can react, because the dying fleas embarrass them).  Useful if you for example take home a just rescued cat with lots of fleas.  But it must be follow up with a more normal  flea-killer, as the larvae and eggs aren’t  killed.

Droncit, a tape worm killer.  Useful as complement to for example Revolution spot on, which kills all outer parasites and round worms.

Spots on:

Revolution, kills all outer parasites including mites and fleas,  and round worms.  The big advantage is the ease of use.

Advantage Multi – similar usage as Revolution.

Advocate – similar usage as Revolution and Advantage Multi. The sheet contains lotsa of warnings…If it is an inferior product compared to above, or the company is more expressive and honest, I don’t know.

Advantage II.  Mostly against just fleas. Effective and can be used also on pregnant females and quite young kittens.

Frontline, takes both fleas and ear mites.

Pyrantel poaomate, or often just Pyrantel.  This is the active substance in many dewormers against roundworm. Safe and fairly effective.  Is sold in many brands, often also OTC. Three examples:

Banminth, sold among other in Sweden, is wellknown as mild and safe also for small kittens 2+weeks.

Seasoned rescuers, and owners of many cats,  sometimes buys big bottles of Pyrantel Poamoate sold for horses.   Its essentially exactly the same as for cats, its “only” to know the exact dosage for cats, how much to mix down.

One forumist in India got the advice from her vet to use a Pyrantel preparate, sold for cows.  It should be the similar as mentioned above.  BUT. This brand had apparently also some additions, which made it very dubious for cats….  So look exactly on the label of contains.  And if in doubt google or ask at a good cat forum.

T

K9 Advantix II for dogs – all outer parasites, including mosquitos, lices, biting flies. NOT for cats, but sounds good if you DO have a dog.

Seresto for  cats.  A collar protecting against ticks and fleas, several months. Its made by Bayer, so it should be mutch safer then the usual OTC sold anti-flea collars, who are often directly poisoneous both for cats and dogs, but also poisoning water if they do bathe in a lake.

Good luck!

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is great, you are a godsend!!!

Am I taking the proper precaution & having her stay in her own room? she cries and cries to come back to the living room; I just disinfected it with bleach the other day. so I'm unsure if I'm being paranoid, or its good that i should just wait the 3 days till my friend gets here w the meds. 

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ring worm is really the only thing you would be likely to get for the cat . Ringworm is on the skin and easy to see most of the time so you would know if she has them . They look like a round rash on the skin and the fur falls out around it. You should be fine petting and loving on your cat. 

Good luck.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ring worm is really the only thing you would be likely to get for the cat . Ringworm is on the skin and easy to see most of the time so you would know if she has them . They look like a round rash on the skin and the fur falls out around it. You should be fine petting and loving on your cat. 

Good luck.
  I agree, especially if you are careful to wash your hands before eating. Cats tend to succumb more easily to things that they catch from us as opposed to what we can catch from them. Dogs can carry certain diseases yet be asymptomatic, such as with giardia, strep throat and bubonic plague, because they are  just sturdier ( their strong stomach acids allow them to eat rotten carcasses, after all) but people will quickly get ill from them, and those same diseases are even more dangerous, and often fatal, for cats.

By the way, I have used a product called Sulfinex  which worked well on my feral cats. I thought that they had mange, but the vet couldn't find anything in the skin scrapings so she thought their symptoms were related to food allergies and just presented like mange. Whatever the cause, the Sulfinex gave the kitties immediate relief (those that I was able to handle) and their sores quickly healed and the fur grew back quickly. If I had been able to treat them daily, as I would have with a tame cat, I think that the results would have been amazing.

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just wanted to give an update. Apparently Nala isn't even a cat, she's an African wildcat! Makes me love & respect her even more. I wonder if they will give me a problem bringing her back to nyc then? Im in awe of how nice & clean she is being a wildcat. She still has the runs but is super energetic, her coat is soft & fluffy, she's been jumping pretty high now & finds way to get on the counter. She really glows now

So my friend is coming in 4 days, she had a change of flight, I can't wait to give her the meds. I want to thank all of you again, its so cool that ppl help just to help!

alkemist

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  What a fascinating turn of events!!  Just do your research because if Nala is considered a wild species, NY law may prohibit your keeping her. If she tames down, perhaps you can just proceed as if she was a domestic cat.  As long as she is spayed and gets her vaccinations, you should be allowed to keep her.  Thank you for keeping us posted and please keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.