New Oriental SH colors?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious as to what you all think of the new oriental colors that are now accepted/shown? I'm talking about the bicolors/calicos or tabby/whites?

I think they are cool and very elegant - I'd love to own a bicolor oriental one day

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder I bought Tolly from had just had some bi-coloured kittens when we went to pick him up, I didn't like them. The splodges seem to detract from their sleek lines.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think bicolors and OS's "go", either. Nor do the tabbies grab me- it really seems to take away from their lines. To me the esthetics of Orientals are all about elegance and breaks in the color seem to disrupt that.
JMO!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting opinons and I can understand. I think the rexes look better in more solid colors (for their wavy coats) then some of the mixed colors.

Even tho Ling's a mixed, she's pretty darn close to a bicolor oriental type - long body, slendar build, somewhat oriental shaped head, and a MOUTH

But she is marked very well that would be the type of bicolor oriental I'd like - just white paws, white chest, and a spot of white on the face - rest of body is solid black so it still would show off the lines if she was a purebred. But you can't control bicolor (white spotting) very well or the other markings.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pattern you're describing is called "mantle" or "irish spotting" in dogs, most familiar in the Boston Terrier, right? More white than a tuxedo?

I certainly did not mean that your kitties are not attractive

I am such a purist when it comes to dog colors, and I have a really difficult time accepting new ones. I haven't adjusted to chocolate Cockers yet and they've been around since the 60's

Is this a color you are going to be working on?
It's interesting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much stopped breeding - I plan on showing Ling a few times in HHP classes after we move. But nothing like I did before. My passion still is for the orientals. Long time ago when I first started showing I fell in love with one of the top OSH's in the country - Typha's Nite Sprite - a black with a shine on his coat you could see from the other end of the show hall!

Will eventually get a photo of Ling - but she's really more of the tuxedo in markings - she only has two white spots by her mouth - but has the white on chest, feet and a little more on back legs then the front. Rest of her is black