New Older Cat

catkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm very sorry if it's wrong and would really appreciate to be pointed in the right direction.
I have a problem that I would really love some help with.
I am trying to introduce a 4-year-old female rescue cat to my house where my five-month-old male rescue kitten is now established after being with me for almost three months. My kitten was an extremely shy kitten and still prefers to hide from new people, but we've gone from hissing at me and hiding under and behind furniture to demanding food, sleeping on me, being vocal and trusting me to cut his claws. Now I've brought in the 4-year-old and the kitten is terrified.
The older cat is very confident and she's got lots of energy, likes people, typical adjusted cat whose only fear is the vacuum cleaner. I introduced them very slowly and the kitten initially seemed to be interested in the cat. He followed her at a distance while she kind of warned him to stay back while she walked around the house. No hitting or fighting or real hissing.
Then something must have happened while I wasn't looking - I went to work thinking they were getting to know each other and came back to a petrified kitten who was stuck on a windowsill, sitting in his own faeces, and the adult cat lounging in a different room. Watching them, I see how the cat watches him but doesn't seem belligerent at all. She looks at the kitten, goes up to him, but when he hisses she loses interest and goes away. However, if the kitten runs away from the cat, she chases after him. Still no claws or biting or any noises at all from the cat. The kitten is the one yowling and hissing and spitting. He runs into corners and onto windowsills, he evacuates his bowels there (out of fear?) and won't move until she goes away. I keep them separate while I'm not home and only let them together when I could supervise. I've had them in the same room and held the adult cat so she can't chase the kitten, but he still growls and hisses and hides.
Then one day I saw that the kitten's ear had been torn. This has happened twice now. So the adult cat must be using claws but she always seems to be play chasing rather than attacking. I'm not understanding this cat behaviour and I don't know how to make the situation better for the both of them.
My question is: can these cats be together? I'm inclined, even though it will break my heart, to surrender the cat back to the rescue. They both deserve good lives and I don't know that she or he will have one with me if we're all in the same house.
Thank you for reading all of this and I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thank you for rescuing the cat.

It is really important to go through the formal introduction process. We want to build a positive association through food and positive encounters. So I really want to start a formal introduction process. Here are some links to it:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

I would like to keep them separated for now and start feeding on each side of a closed door. The fact the kitten has defecated tells me he was very scared and stressed. We want to ease the introduction and associate theme with good things especially food.

I also would work on building his confidence. We do that through Play, Food, Height and Love. So I would step up play with him especially in areas where any chases have happened. After a good play session feed either treats or a meal. Also, make sure he has a cat tree so he can go up in the world. Height gives a cat confidence as they can survey the situation. Also, make sure he has a scratching post so he can get his scent on something by scratching and "own" more territory. Finally, just be as calm and confident with him. Let him know he is loved. We want him to feel safe and secure and get him more confident. A confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

It is totally understandable that the cat chased the kitten after the kitten ran. The kitten acted like prey and the cat's instinct kicked in. So the more confident the kitten is the more likely the kitten will not run and therefore not be chased.

It is all about building their confidence and associating them with good things and safe encounters. So we want to make sure every encounter between them is as positive as possible. First through scent then sight.

It sounds like the cat you adopted doesn't mean harm. So we need to let the kitten realize that. The process does work if we follow it and put the effort into it.

Don't worry, I will be with you every step of the way so please feel free to ask anything anytime. I am happy to help and have these cats in their forever home. Thank you so much for giving them a chance at happiness and safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply, calicosrspecial.

However, this is indeed the approach that I used when introducing them and it seemed to be ok initially. Then something happened that caused the kitten to become extremely scared.

I used the sock method and also fed them on either side of a door which gradually became more open, then had a partially covered fence between them, then no covering, then an open door. They also switched rooms so they could roam around the house and smell each other everywhere without actually seeing each other.

There are also two cat scratch trees (both about 160cm tall) and furniture around for them to climb. The kitten also has another cardboard scratching pad which he LOVES, while the cat uses a different sisal pole which she likes better and the kitten never had any interest in.

I also feed them treats while they're in the same room and play with them both with different wand toys for each of them in each hand. But if the cat is even remotely nearby, the kitten backs into a corner and won't move or even respond to me. He won't eat a treat that's right in front of him and will defecate (or run away and defecate) if the cat comes up to him. I've seen the cat bat at him now a bit more but I still haven't seen the claws come out, which have torn the kitten's ear previously.

Any further advice? :( I'm feeling very guilty for causing them both confusion and stress...

Thank you SO MUCH for your tips and help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to say: I've re-started the slow introductions with the cats separated. So they are inhabiting separate rooms again now. The kitten won't come anywhere near the dividing door to eat - his limit line is out of sight of the door, around a corner in the hallway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

PLEASE do not feel guilty. You are trying to save a life and give them a great home. NO reason to feel guilty, you are doing a great job.

Cat intros can be a back and forth progress. You have followed the steps really well. It is not uncommon at all to get to a step and have a negative encounter and fall back a bit. And then we stabilize them at that point and slowly move forward. So everything you mention is pretty normal.

What we want to do is take it slow and really build the cat with the issues (usually the resident cat) confidence. So before moving to the next step we want to see that positive body language, that confidence. Then slowly work through the next step.

I am glad you have them totally separated. We need to build the kittens confidence. So just feed the kitten anywhere around that corner in the hallway for now and slowly move it closer to the door each day. If the kitten wont go to it then keep it where it is for a few days and then move forward slowly. And keep playing with the kitten. First maybe in that hallway and then in time try to encourage him closer to the door of the other cat. And give love if you can safely (without being hurt). And in time we'll get an old shirt with the older cat's scent on it and have it by the kitten. And let's see when his body language gets better, more confident. And then we can move to the next step.

So we really want to stabilize the kitten. Let the kitten know he is safe. Build his confidence. And associate the other cat's scent with good things (but not yet). During this time make sure you play with the other cat to keep her confidence up.

Don't worry, I will be with you every step of the way. It is not uncommon for the resident cat to struggle with an addition because it is "their" territory being "invaded" by a potential predator. So our goal is to assure the resident cat that they are safe and will be well taken care of. So we associate with good things and we try to make sure every encounter (smell first, then sight, then physical) is as positive as possible. Every if for a moment. When the cat that is having difficulty realizes the other cat doesn't want to hurt them then they trust more. And the more positive encounters the more trust. At some point the cat says "hey, I know that cat, that cat is cool" and their is more confidence. That vibe a cat gives off of confidence. And a confident cat is less likely to be attacked or attack.

It sounds like the new cat doesn't want to hurt the kitten but we need to convince the kitten that is the fact.

Cat intros can take a month or a year. We just go at their pace. The biggest mistake people make is rushing the intro. I have done it in the past. We think oh they are getting along next step. But what often happens is their is an initial acceptance but it isn't really solid it is more a mutual distrust that leads to a false positive. I learned to really reinforce the positives (making sure the cats look away from each other often, turn their back on the other, etc). It is kind of art rather than science but I will be here for you so please update and ask anything anytime. We will get through this. There are always ups and downs but it does work.

Once more thing, cats do take on our confidence so please be as calm and confident around the cats as possible. You have no reason to feel guilty. You have the desire and the knowledge to make this work and I know you can do it. You should actually be very proud. You are giving them a chance at a great life in a forever home.

I am happy to help so please post any updates or questions. We will get through this.