New/Old cat problems

changeling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adopted a new cat 11/9. 1 yr old female who was spayed just after we got her from the shelter. Existing cat is 7yo and had been living peacefully for 7 yrs as the youngest of my group of 5. Through the sad attrition of old age/cancer he became the ONLY cat in October. New cat (Stella) was quarantined in 2nd bedroom for almost 3 weeks. They 'met' through the door, ate on either side of it,smelled towels etc.

Alas when they are together she goes after him, full tail and claws out. She caught his nose a couple of times. He is a good 4 pounds heavier than her and I'm SURE if he gave her one good swat she would not pull any of these ambushes again.

She IS young and playful...but she is terrorizing him. They both LOVE to play laser tag and have gotten to within 18 inches of eachother and she once actually rolled over into a submissive posture. Husband is home all day to monitor behavior and we HAVE to seperate them at night (her in the old -quarantine- room as she cornered him once in our bedroom and he peed on the bed.

I've NEVER had problems introing a new cat to the house before.

Any suggestions/help appreciated.

Oh, I have two feliway diffusers one in each bedroom on the top floor where everyone (human and feline) hang out the most.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I was going to suggest Feliway, but you've already tried that. I've only had a one cat household, but most members have multiple cats. Someone should be along soon with suggestions. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

changeling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 clip her nails weekly.

I am thinking about adopting an older sedate cat who can relate to each and perhaps be an intermediary. Yes, I know cats live by their own rules and do not conform to our wishes. Just a thought that a third will divide the two.