New, need help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok guys and gals. I have a confession to make. When I first came here, I didn't expect us to be chatting quite so much..lol. So in my first post, I kinda told a little white lie. The male that bred Cleo wasn't my friend's..he's mine. I just didn't want everyone to give me a lecture on having 2 unaltered cats of opposite sexes..
So, that's the truth. It's been bugging me, since you've all been so helpful, and I wanted to tell you the truth. Charlie, my tom is going to be getting neutered next month when I get paid. And Cleo will be spayed after she weans this litter..if she ever has them that is! I'm really sorry I was dishonest, and I hope you all can forgive me

But I have another question now. Charlie has been acting really weird since we got back from the vet. As soon as we walked in the door and I put Cleo down on the floor, he immedietly tried mounting her, and wouldn't stop...So I locked Cleo in my room. Why would he be doing that if she isn't in heat? Or do toms get the pregnancy hormones or whatever mixed up with those that happen when a queen's in heat? Is it a possible sign labor is coming?

Anyway, I feel better now that my concience is cleared
I hope you all understand why I lied in the first place..
Megan

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Megan,

How's it going? Looks like Tania has offered you some first-rate advice and I sense, calmed you down considerably.
I know that after a litter has been dropped, a female can go back into heat within 48 hours and become pregnant again. Perhaps the pheremones that your male cat is being subjected to has him excited. So it is best you keep him away from the mom and the kittens for quite awhile. If these two were in the wild, it would be possible for the tom to come in after the birth of the kittens and destroy the litter just to get mom back into heat again so he could satisfy his urges. That's just the way of it. This is why so many people who have strays in their backyard when the strays become pregnant and vanish, they are hard pressed to find the litter. Mom cats hide the babies effectively because of this threat.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, I plan on keeping him away until the kittens are old enough to atleast be walking around, etc...I'll see how he is with them at that point, and go from there. I had Cleo locked in my room after we got home, and she was crying at the door wanting out. She's fine if I'm in there with her...Believe me, I would sit in there for the next week if I could...But I also have a human child I have to look after, so that's just not a possibility....
Thanks

Megan

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sillypup5

Ok guys and gals. I have a confession to make. When I first came here, I didn't expect us to be chatting quite so much..lol. So in my first post, I kinda told a little white lie. The male that bred Cleo wasn't my friend's..he's mine. I just didn't want everyone to give me a lecture on having 2 unaltered cats of opposite sexes..
So, that's the truth. It's been bugging me, since you've all been so helpful, and I wanted to tell you the truth. Charlie, my tom is going to be getting neutered next month when I get paid. And Cleo will be spayed after she weans this litter..if she ever has them that is! I'm really sorry I was dishonest, and I hope you all can forgive me

But I have another question now. Charlie has been acting really weird since we got back from the vet. As soon as we walked in the door and I put Cleo down on the floor, he immedietly tried mounting her, and wouldn't stop...So I locked Cleo in my room. Why would he be doing that if she isn't in heat? Or do toms get the pregnancy hormones or whatever mixed up with those that happen when a queen's in heat? Is it a possible sign labor is coming?

Anyway, I feel better now that my concience is cleared
I hope you all understand why I lied in the first place..
Megan
Megan-
I understand your reasons and also understand that you never intended on staying around. I think it is very admirable that you fessed up and am glad to hear both cats will be spayed/neutered soon so there won't be any more kittens. I don't think anyone will be upset with ya
I hope you stick around, even after the babies are born! Please continue to let us know how things are going, as I am really in suspense
I hope it all goes well.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I'm glad you could understand..lol. I will stick around..I've gotten kinda attatched to you all! lol
Megan

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Megan..we understand. One thing that I would caution you about is making sure you keep your male away from your female...even after he is fixed. I just found out that a fixed male can still carry active sperm for up to a week after fixed...so please keep him at bay from your female even after his surgery. It may be best to keep them in separate quarters until she is spayed.

Katie

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good plan
Don't know how well it would work though..lol. I live in a pretty small house. But, if Cleo ever has these kittens, she will be sequestered in my room with them. My dog is starting to get mad that he's not allowed to sleep with me anymore..lol. O-well...he'll get over it
Charlie's getting kinda miffed too...But, he'll get over it too!

Megan

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Megan, I must respect your confession. It is forgiven and completely forgotten in my book. Thank you for your honesty. I'm happy to hear they will be fixed at the first opportunity.
Now I just wish Cleo would have these babies!

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't say I blame you. I'm getting anxious just reading through these postings!! How exciting...I've never had a cat that had a litter of kittens. Probably that's a good thing, though, because I wouldn't want to give a single one of those cute little babies away and would end up with tons and tons of kitties! Hang in there. Try to find consolation in the fact that the vet isn't worried. Everything will work out just fine!

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I am starting to calm down a bit now I think..lol. I've decided, no more taking her temp, no more feeling for contractions, or anything else that has just been making me more anxious..lol. I'll let Cleo tell me in her own little way when the time comes.

Megan

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a TAD! lol. I've caught myself reaching for the thermometer a few times today..rofl. We'll make it

Megan

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny, I find myself totally engrossed in this story. I keep checking back every 15 minutes or so to see how things are progressing! I can't help but laugh at the idea of a massively pregnant cat running around, playing...Funny visuals for me! Thank you for this distraction, Megan, I definetly need it at this time in my life! Good luck to you both, and I will be checking your posts. Keep us informed! Some of us (me
) are hanging on to every word!!

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol. You're welcome..I guess..rofl. Not sure how many updates there will be tonight, as all she's been doing is sleeping...she went into the box on my bed for a few minutes this afternoon, but that was it. Now she's laying under the desk on my feet keeping them warm while she sleeps
It does look really funny watching her run around an play with Charlie, or a ball, or whatever.lol Even funnier is when she or Charlie decides to play with my dog. Seeing a little cat chasing a huge 110lb dog is just hillarious!
Megan

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok..How do I attatch a picture to my posts? I want to post a pic of Charile and Cleo, but I can't figure out how?? :?
Megan

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry Megan, we had to do some adjustments and now you need a certain amount of posts to be able to put up attachments. We had to implement this rule for a couple of reasons.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. No prob. I just thought maybe I was missing something..lol. Thanks

Megan

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my update for this eveing.. Cleo is wandering around the house, being quite vocal...starting to drive me nuts, actually..lol. I gave her the 1/2 can of soft food as I do every night after my son goes to bed, and she only ate about 1/4 of it...She usually eats almost the whole plate. So that's it. I've learned the hard way to not get my hopes up over her doing something "new" so I'm not. I am pretty tired tonight, so Cleo and I may go to bed early for a change. Not quite yet, but probably within the next couple hours.
Megan