New Mother Cat - Large Pees

PoppetsPerson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice/opinions.
I have a persian cat that just had kittens 2 weeks ago, and about a week ago I noticed she is not peeing normally.
The one night she seemed to be acting a little bit odd, so I just followed her around the house. She wanted to check every window and was panting going to and from. I kept following her and eventually I decided to check on her kittens (sleeping soundly) and her litter box. I sat quietly between the two and watched her pace back and forth for a bit until she finally used the litter box. She had a big poop (constipated) and a big pee. Since then I've been giving her more things with water and stool softener. Eg. Canned food mixed with water, goats milk mixed with stool softener. Her poops seem to be back to normal for her . . . But her pees are still infrequent and huge. I've been calling them pee-bergs.
I've been cleaning her litter frequently so I can keep and eye on how often she is going and what.

She is going poop every day/day and a half which is normal for her, but she is only peeing every 2 days. Like 4:00AM then nothing for the rest of the day and nothing until 10:00PM the next day. She still drinks a lot, and is feeding 4 babies but I am pretty sure this is unusual.
Normally she pees normal sized pees once or twice a day.

Any advice? Thanks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you dont get sure advices from here, please consult your vet. This may be potentially alarming, her unability to make normal, small pees, and must endure till the pressure is big enough to press through...

Such seldom, grand pees can happen with mommas whom are very busy with kittens, and simply dont have time nor occasion to go outside and pee... But as your momma is pacing around, she isnt THAT busy... But sooner, something is bothering her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppetsPerson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you dont get sure advices from here, please consult your vet. This may be potentially alarming, her unability to make normal, small pees, and must endure till the pressure is big enough to press through...

Such seldom, grand pees can happen with mommas whom are very busy with kittens, and simply dont have time nor occasion to go outside and pee... But as your momma is pacing around, she isnt THAT busy... But sooner, something is bothering her.

An update/clarification if that she only paced and acted like that for 2 nights. After that she went back to normal.
I also assumed maybe it was just her being busy with kittens, but now that it has been 2 weeks since she had them she is happy to ignore them for long periods and even leave them to come sleep in our room at night. (Like her normal routine). So if she is comfortable enough to leave them for hanging out with my husband and I, I would think she should be comfortable enough to leave them to go the litter box.
I also have her booked in for a vet appointment, but just thought I would post on here to see if anyone thought it might be an emergency, or just to get ideas and see if maybe it is normal for a new mom cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also have her booked in for a vet appointment, but just thought I would post on here to see if anyone thought it might be an emergency, or just to get ideas and see if maybe it is normal for a new mom cat.
I dont think its Emergency vet errand, but I strongly suspect its a "better sooner than later" vet check up errand.