New Mommy and babies have fleas!!

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
frountline is licensed for use on kittens from 3 days old.
you use the spray and put it on cottonwool, then wipe the kittens with it. and its done.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by winterandsmokey

I was told by my vet not to use either frontline or advantage on baby kittens. they can cause brain damage if used before the 8 weeks. I was told I could use frontline on nursing mama but not to use advantage. I was able to fina a kitten flea shampoo at petco that works on very young kittens. Just have to be careful. If there body temp. drops to much you will have sick kittens. if you could dry them off completly that would be good. I used a blow dryer that Has a warm temp. setting. good luck.
Please talk to your vet. I can't imagine using a flea shampoo bought over-the-counter on those baby kittens. I'd be afraid of killing them outright.

Please, please, please, DO NOT use any over-the-counter flea products on your cat or kittens.

winterandsmokey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the shampoo i used was called bio guard. i used frontline on one of winters kittens (9weeks old at the time) and the kitten spent 2 days at the vet fighting for her life as it nearly killed her. I had no problems with this shampoo at all.

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i used frount line on my kittens 2 days ago. no problems here. i used the spray dabbed it on to cotton wool.
bathing a young kitten is very dangerous. when i worked at the vets we only bathed the young kittens when they got very dirty as they were ill. most died after. it is very easy to get water in there lungs. written on the instructions it says safe to use from 2 days old.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by winterandsmokey

the shampoo i used was called bio guard. i used frontline on one of winters kittens (9weeks old at the time) and the kitten spent 2 days at the vet fighting for her life as it nearly killed her. I had no problems with this shampoo at all.
This is from another website:

These babies can NOT have Flea Shampoo. They are way to young. You must bathe them regularly and use a flea comb. Fleas can be deadly to a newborn so be diligent.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over-the-counter flea treatments are dangerous for adult cats, let alone newborn kittens. Please, OTC flea treatments CAN KILL cats. Pet medications are not very well regulated, and no matter what the label says "safe for cats" "safe for kittens" whatever, please do not learn this lesson the hard way.