New Member From Central Africa

Kitty Lover in Africa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm joining this forum hoping to gain some insight from other cat owners. I haven't looked at very many posts yet, but I expect I am in a different situation from most other people on this forum, so I thought I should explain where I'm coming from.

I'm an expat living in a central African country, in a quiet village near a provincial city. My cat, Fudge, is a sweet female calico moggy who enjoys being petted and talked to. Because of my living circumstances, she roams inside and outside, and helps keep down the populations of small undesirable critters. But she never ventures farther from home than the area immediately around the house.

Medical care for people is very poor here, and even worse for animals. There are no veterinary surgeons or vet clinics, though there are small vet pharmacies and vet practitioners who can give basic medicines.

Fudge gets the best care I am able to give her, and I'm sure she is the most loved and cared-for cat in the village. But she is the first cat I've ever owned, and there are few people who can advise me when I have questions - hence my desire to use the internet for a bit of self-education. I know this site isn't a substitute for the expert medical care which I wish was more available here, but I am still hoping I can learn from more experienced cat owners so I can give my furry companion the best life possible!
Fudge.JPG

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-317403.jpg
Kitty Lover in Africa and Fudge, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
images.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

What a beauty is Fudge :hearthrob: :redheartpump:
We have a special thread just for her here in :- post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 and many other fun threads in :- fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Fudge. Such a beautiful calico. Looking forward to more posts about your kitty. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Fudge is beautiful. :catlove: How old is she?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's still pretty young, then, so hopefully she'll stay well for many more years.

Is she spayed? And how did you come about to adopting her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! What a lovely girl Fudge is! I'm partial to calicos and torties, myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty Lover in Africa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's still pretty young, then, so hopefully she'll stay well for many more years.

Is she spayed? And how did you come about to adopting her?
Her mother was my coworkers' cat, Moose, who was also a calico. Most of her kittens were black and white or orange and white, but very occasionally she would produce a calico. In March 2013 she had a litter of three kittens: two male and one female. The males were one mostly white, and one orange and white, and then this cute little calico female. I wanted a cat anyway - for companionship and to keep down the vermin populations - and my coworkers let me keep the little calico. Her mother Moose was named for moose tracks ice cream because of her color, and Fudge is the same color but has a lot more black on her, so we said she was moose tracks ice cream with extra fudge topping... and the name Fudge just stuck. :-)

Regarding spaying, no she isn't spayed. Not because I don't think spaying is a good idea, but it is not an available procedure here, since there aren't any vet surgeons but only pharmacies. But for whatever reason, she's only ever produced one litter of kittens, though there are tomcats around. I'm sure there's a reason for that, which more advanced pet care technologies could probably figure out with tests or something, but that wouldn't be available here. But I'm not particularly eager to raise kittens even though they are so cute, and Fudge never has shown sign of pain or any reason to think that her health is in any way compromised, so I guess she's okay as she is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love the story of how Fudge got her name, and came to live with you.:hearthrob:

Regarding spaying, no she isn't spayed. Not because I don't think spaying is a good idea, but it is not an available procedure here, since there aren't any vet surgeons but only pharmacies.
That's what I figured. It's good, though, that she's only had the one litter. Maybe when there's so many unneutered/unspayed cats in an area, they don't breed as often. Or she's just lucky. :lovecat3:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Fudge gets the best care I am able to give her, and I'm sure she is the most loved and cared-for cat in the village.
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice and support. We will try to help with as many questions, both good and bad that you may have about her well being. I have no doubt that Fudge is the most loved and well cared for cat in the village. Bless you for giving her a good home. :thumbsup: