new member: advice please, pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. He's asleep now. I definitely get a picture when he's awake, I'll try the video but not sure if my phone is compatible.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the last day mummy cat is being rather rough with the kittens. Why is this? We were wondering if we were handling them too much. Or because they are starting to become more interactive and moving about. I don't want them to get hurt.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms appear rough when they begin disciplining their kittens. You can stop it if you feel she's being too rough. They usually do not actually harm the kittens though.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. She kind of pins them down and bites their necks/faces and sometimes rolls over.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, that's what moms do to let the kittens know she's boss. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know, thanks. I was beginning to think it was something we were doing wrong.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are so cute [emoji]128525[/emoji] Beautiful!

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so mina decided last night to move her kittens upstairs. They have been in a kitten playpen since birth (just over 3weeks) in the living room and all has been fine. Why would this be? When the playpen door is open to kittens are big enough now to crawl out and she gets really vocal when they do. So she tried to take them under my sons bed so we put the playpen in his room and she seems happy with them there however I can't leave the door open because if they get out they could go anywhere or fall down the stairs and our other cat spends most of her time upstairs so I'm surprised she leaves them unattended when she decides to come down. What do you think?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think mama wants her kittens where she can keep them corralled until they get bigger. It's actually a good idea.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. What sort of age do you think that is.? Do mum's still scruff their kittens at 6/8 weeks?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms are usually unable to carry their kittens past about 4-5 weeks of age. They are too heavy, and become able to follow her on their own.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. Also just to let you know little po is walking a bit better. I've been massaging his back legs so hopefully that has helped andhe seems to walk better depending on the surface. Carpet tricky. Wooden floor surpringly better. He still hasn't caught up with his sister peanut but she seems so advanced. She's climbing the sides of the playpen and has got a few teeth too. They will be 4 weeks on Sunday /Monday respectively.

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'd like some advice on weaning. The kittens are 5 1/2 weeks now. What's the best way to go? I tried mushing up kitten foodo straight from the pouch and warmed up. Not interested. I put a saucer of kitten milk down, not interested. They watch mum eat but just walk about not too bothered. Any tips on flavour, temperature. They feed from mum constantly then sleep then play. They are still mainly upstairs in my sons room but when mum comes downstairs they follow her now (so funny watching them climb stairs). Mum comes down to eat wet food and use litter tray.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue offering wet food as you are doing, and make kitten chow available 24/7. They are young yet, but will begin to try it soon. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. By chow, do you mean dry food? Also what about the temperature?

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update and a question. It's been an eventful couple of days. The kittens are totally capable of going up and downstairs and tend to spend the day downstairs. They have learnt to get on the sofas and climb everywhere. They have started to drink water which means that they are now using the litter tray to wee and are managing really well to do so on their own. Still no joy with food yet. They did lap some kitten milk from a saucer though. sarthur2 you said they are still young, what age should they start to eat by? Is it strange that I have never seen any poo? Obviously mum is sorting them out still but now they use use the litter tray to wee after drinking water will they poo in it or not until they eat solids? Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should start eating solids any day now, and will begin to poop in the litter box once they do.

Offer pate-style wet food mixed with KMR. They should show interest now that they are 6 weeks old. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will give it a go, thanks. What ratio of milk to food should I give?