New mama cat won't eat or drink

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a new cat owner who took in a feral cat about 4 months ago. She made herself real comfortable and part of the family real quick. Along the way she got pregnant and had her babies 2 days ago. She is feeding and caring for her babies very well. My question is this I noticed today she is not eating her food or drinking any of her water? She ate and drank the 1st day but nothing yesterday. Should I be concerned yet? Should I take her to a vet? Or is this something that is normal? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if she eats today. Are you giving her wet food? She needs it.

However, if she ate the placentas plus other food, she may not feel hungry yet, or she may need to have a bowel movement.

How is she acting otherwise? If she continues not eating after today, she may need to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she ate both placentas and she ate a little on the day she gave birth but nothing since. I haven't given her any wet food but I will try that.
She did have a bowel movement and she seems kind of depressed, sleeping a lot and moving around real slow. I think she might be getting dehydrated because she doesn't want to drink any water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kitkittysmom

Please give her wet food. Hopefully she will eat that. If not, she definitely needs the vet. She may have an infection.

Please let us know!

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her some wet food which she nibbled a little bit but she is still not drinking any water. I forced a dropper full down her along with some pedialite. She is producing milk and feeding her babies. She doesn't want to leave them for very long so in between feedings I am giving her water and still trying to get her to eat more. If by tomorrow she doesn't start eating on her own I will definitely be taking her in to the vet. She does seem to be more alert and looks a little better. Thank you again for all the much needed advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she ate a little. She might like some plain, boiled chicken along with some broth.

Hopefully, she has just been exhausted and overwhelmed. It happens.

Please keep us updated!

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to bring her in to the vet. Mama would drink water but she will not eat so it is really starting to worry me now. I think she might have an infection. Fingers crossed it is not anything too serious.

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were all at the vet mama and babies. She was very dehydrated so she was given fluids right away. They also took x-rays because her uterus was still very large and they wanted to make sure there wasn't another baby stuck. Good news was there were no babies stuck but her uterus horns were inflamed and were still large. The vet thinks they might of had fluid in them. She was sent home with antibiotics and some food which she ate as soon as she got home. She is looking so much better already. I am so relieved maybe tonight I can get a little sleep.

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Babies are in great shape so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I have been concerned. It's a relief to hear that mama has been given fluids and antibiotics. So glad to hear that she has now begun to eat and is feeling a bit better. I hope she continues in her recovery. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Nice that the babies have not been affected and are doing well. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I do hope you are resting now too. Tending a new mama can be draining. We would love to see pictures at your convenience.

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is so much better already thank you for the concern. She is eating and drinking and acting like she was never sick. One good thing is other than the inflammation in her uterus from this pregnancy she is a pretty healthy cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is wonderful! So glad you took her to the vet! Love the picture! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

kitkittysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Again thank you for all the advice and help. It meant it a lot to me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Wonderful news to read! Bless you for being there for her and her little kitty family - I shudder to think of what their fate would have been had they been alone in the world, without veterinary intervention.  YOU are a true guardian angel