New Mama Cat Is Angrily Howling? Please Help

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! So my cat Haywire just had a beautiful litter of six yesterday morning. So far so good, however she just woke me up because she was absolutely howling -- think of the sounds a cat would be making in the middle of a cat fight; a very angry aggressive kind of howl. Immediately I assumed maybe one of the kittens had wandered off but this was not the case - they were all looking good and healthy so I'm really not sure what to make of this. She is typically a vocal cat but never like this, should I be concerned? Maybe she is in pain or something?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she now?

She is hormonal and needs comforting.

Cats also experience after pains, which can feel like labor and are painful. Women have this too after childbirth.

Sit with her some today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems much better now, I think she's just a little bit overwhelmed with all the kittens, she was about a 7lb cat before all of this and she is a first time mom!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed mom lots, and watch for a runt. With 6, there is usually a runt or two who get bullied off the best nipples.

It's good to hear that she's settled in better now. :)

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have just the one runt - everyone else is doing well and so far appear to be gaining steadily! The littlest one was born at 79g yesterday and had gone down to 73g by this afternoon so we picked up some KMR just to help them keep up with everyone else, despite being small he is very active and seems quite healthy thus far, just got the supplement to ensure that it stays that way!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good. Continue to monitor closely, be vigilant, supplement - and be sure the little one gets the leion share of the time with momma. Use the time while the biggers are asleep.

How is momma? Does she still howls or was it a once thing?

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems to howl every now and then - I think she just gets overwhelmed and frustrated and throws a bit of a hissy fit. She tried to crawl into bed with me last night and was quite unimpressed when she realized the kittens would cry if she left them to come sleep with me, thus we spent our first night apart.
We're really struggling with trying to get the runt to take the KMR, I'm really worried about the little guy :( I've noticed it won't latch onto her lower nipples which I know are the ones that give the most milk, I wonder if he's just so small that he struggles to get his mouth around it? He can attach to her upper nipples just fine and gets a pretty good grip going - he suckles the loudest. Unfortunately he refuses to take the bottle, I tried three seperate times for about 30mins each time to no avail, I maybe got 1ml of KMR into him over the course of today, I tried a syringe as well which didn't go much better, not sure what to do from here other than just hope for the best and keep trying

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens whom have momma are often reluctant to bottle. A syringe is easier in such cases.

You can try with a little sponge, for example such used in make up. You drench it in the kmr / goats milk, and have a dropper prepared to drop on more, so he can suckle as long as he manage.
This new method works nicely for some.
The only real drawback is, you dont really know how much he got. so you must control through weighing him daily...

Yeah, once they had chosen a nipple, they seldom change, not even when alone with momma. What is, he doesnt got pushed of his nipple, nor must struggle to get to momma. Its just enjoyment. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let him suckle the nipple he likes. Kittens choose a nipple and rarely switch!

Definitely use a syringe and go drop by drop in the side of his mouth. Wrap him in a towel like a burrito with only his head sticking out so he wriggles less.

Give him 1mL every couple of hours for now.

Mama kitty should settle more, as should the kittens. :)

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! So last week my cat had a healthy litter of 6 kittens. We have kept momma and the kittens separated in another room, but we do have a (fixed) male cat who is a little distraught about not being allowed in. I am wondering at what age I can start to introduce him to the litter - we obviously won't be keeping all 6, but three of the kittens will be staying in this household (it's a complicated living situation, I probably sound like a crazy cat lady but I am renting a basement suite that is very shared with the people living upstairs; the male cat is theirs and they will be adopting one of the kittens from our litter, the cats are friendly so are given free reign of the entire house.) We will also be keeping two of the kittens. Yes, it's definitely a lot of cats in one household! Anyway - what is a good time to begin introduction? Should I wait until they are 8 weeks old?

revolita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20615147_1644767102220991_1563537976_o.jpg
Sorry for the late response - figured I would give you all an update though! Little guy is doing great and has gained 13g each day for the past 2 days, they are 6 days old today and he is at 120 grams! Still very small for his age I know, however he is gaining steadily and incredibly healthy so I am not too worried! Our biggest kitten hit 204 grams today. Mamacat has been able to wander a little bit when the kittens are sleeping, and since she isn't confined to the box anymore she isn't howling - currently she is looking out her favorite window which was somewhere she couldn't reach when she was pregnant as it was too high of a jump. Everyone is doing fabulously and I think mama is pretty content too! Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is wonderful to hear! I hope mom and kittens continue to do well, especially the runt. Thank you for your vigilance. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they are all doing well! What a sweet litter.

Are you able to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males until the kittens are weaned?