new litter of 5, one kittens eye is gunked up?...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longhair is a recessive gene - that means that its "hidden". If the father is a longhair and the mother a shorthair (and her parents are not longhair) all kittens will take after the mother and be shorthair.

If the mother has one parent as a longhair, then she is probably carrying the longhair gene even if she's shorthair (which is dominate over the longhair). Then you would have at least one longhair kitten in the litter. More then likely all the kittens will be shorthair. You might get one longhair kitten in the group.

Just be sure to keep the male from her for a good 4-5 weeks after being neutered - he will still have active sperm and could get her pregnant if they bred.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanx for the info goldenkitty. in the litter there were 3 fluffy and 2 short hair lol.
girlygirl , any news yet? what did the vet say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girly girl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, a little update. I went to take the baby (who we've named Peepers
) to the vet, and the eye was fine. It was open, and blue/black like the other eye, no more signs of being blood shot, etc. There was still a little gunk around the eye, but it was open and seemed to be just fine. I called the vet and they said that if it's looking better, than just hold off and see if it completely clears up on it's own. But if it looks like it really isn't improving, or getting worse again, to bring the baby right in.

I've also made appointments to have 2 of our cats fixed, Kitty (our shop cat) and Sammy (the daddy) are going in on the 2nd and the 5th
Mommy (Alley) is going in as soon as it's OK after the babies are weaned.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Remember to keep daddy away from your nursing mother - he can still get her pregnant while nursing for about a month after being neutered. I'd confine him for a good 6 weeks with no access to any other females if he's allowed to be outside and roam

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Girly Girl

Well, a little update. I went to take the baby (who we've named Peepers
) to the vet, and the eye was fine. It was open, and blue/black like the other eye, no more signs of being blood shot, etc. There was still a little gunk around the eye, but it was open and seemed to be just fine. I called the vet and they said that if it's looking better, than just hold off and see if it completely clears up on it's own. But if it looks like it really isn't improving, or getting worse again, to bring the baby right in.

I've also made appointments to have 2 of our cats fixed, Kitty (our shop cat) and Sammy (the daddy) are going in on the 2nd and the 5th
Mommy (Alley) is going in as soon as it's OK after the babies are weaned.
Hey Girly Girl....I'm very happy to read that you are getting these cats fixed. That is definately something worth celebrating.

Katie

girly girl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, some bad new... Kitty ran away last night
My boyfriends friend opened the garage door last night and left it open, and she ran outside. I was outside looking for her for a good 2-3 hours on and off, and she's long gone
we finally closed up for the night and went home, and today it's raining and cold, and she's still nowhere to be seen
I'm so upset.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hopefully kitty will come home soon , was she in heat atall? if yes then in a few days she might come back. but please get her spayed once she does as she could be pregnant and the earlier she goes to the vets the better it will be for her.
im sending vibes for a safe return of kitty.

girly girl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she was in heat. She was meowing and rubbing up against everything. She has an appointment to get spayed on March 2nd, and Sammy had an appointment to get neutered on the 5th or 6th.
Just the last time she got outside like this, she got attacked and mauled by a stray male cat. I just want her to come back OK and in one piece

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw im sure she is out there looking for a tom to mate with , once shes finshed she should come home.
im praying for a safe return for her.

girly girl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

How are the kittens coping with her absence?
Kitty is our shop cat. Mama and the babies are at our apartment. They NEVER go outside.

It's day 4 that kitty has been gone, and about 5 minutes ago, I heard a little bell jingling, and I almost started crying, because I always think I hear her bell, and it's just my zipper clanking or something
Then I heard a meow, and I ran to the front door, and there is my baby!!!
She ran right in, and over to her food and water bowl. She looks OK, very dirty, but healthy looking.

I have never had such a rush of relief in my life!!!! I was worried SICK about her. My boyfriend and myself were in tears the last few days
But she is home and safe.

And as a side note, the kittens are doing GREAT! The baby that had the bad eye is doing much better, her eye is open, and they are all fluffy and healthy
I will take more pictures soon, and make another thread with those
I just wanted to share my good news and relief!

-Emilie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Girly Girl

Kitty is our shop cat. Mama and the babies are at our apartment. They NEVER go outside.

It's day 4 that kitty has been gone, and about 5 minutes ago, I heard a little bell jingling, and I almost started crying, because I always think I hear her bell, and it's just my zipper clanking or something
Then I heard a meow, and I ran to the front door, and there is my baby!!!
She ran right in, and over to her food and water bowl. She looks OK, very dirty, but healthy looking.

I have never had such a rush of relief in my life!!!! I was worried SICK about her. My boyfriend and myself were in tears the last few days
But she is home and safe.

And as a side note, the kittens are doing GREAT! The baby that had the bad eye is doing much better, her eye is open, and they are all fluffy and healthy
I will take more pictures soon, and make another thread with those
I just wanted to share my good news and relief!

-Emilie
Emilie....make sure to keep your appt. for Kitty so that if that happens again, you know that she could not become pregnant.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's back, but please call your vet and ask if there is any way they can spay her now or sooner then planned given the circumstances. They may get an opening. If she's pregnant now, they can still spay her, but it might cost you a little more as its longer surgery and a little more involved.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im so happy that she is home. told ya she would come home after her little fling. please be sure to get her spayed asap now . the longer you wait the more problems that can occur.

girly girl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm glad she's back, but please call your vet and ask if there is any way they can spay her now or sooner then planned given the circumstances. They may get an opening. If she's pregnant now, they can still spay her, but it might cost you a little more as its longer surgery and a little more involved.
Her appointment is on the second, that's friday of this week
There isn't anything sooner.