New kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was worried I would see him on the side of the road somewhere or something, but I never did, so I think, and hope, that someone picked him up and is keeping him as inside pet. And I've always been the only one responsible for the cats, and they have to sleep in my room at night because my parents don't want them wondering into their room. Reason I had to give away Stella is because a sick family member moved in with us (they stayed in my parents room) so my parents moved into my room because we don't have a spare bedroom, and they did not want to deal with sharing a room with a cat, they REALLY don't like them. I don't have any worries of ever having to put her outside though, we're moving to a bigger house soon, and it's out in the country so even if I did have to stick her outside for some reason, she would have access to a barn and a garage, and still be welcome in my room at least, and there are no roads close by (it's super secluded). But I don't think I'll have to put her out. And of course I'll get her fixed to, hopefully in a few weeks when I save up some money. My parents say she's "not too bad for a cat", maybe she'll grow on them. Definitely gonna make sure I can do everything right with this one though. I got super prepared before I brought her home and I've got lots of plans for her (as in yearly check ups, spayed, many cat toys and a cat tower) which will all be a lot easier once I get a job. It's just been hard to do the right thing with cats in the past when I'm the only one in my family who likes them and I haven't had my own income. My parents see it as "they're just cats, who cares if they die or have unwanted kittens". They're so not animal lovers

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby.. It is hard when you're the only one who cares and yet doesn't have their own income.. So, you depend on others to do the right thing and it's those "others" that are trying to stop you from it.. It's an oxymoron actually, but so true..

I really hope you can find a job soon, just so you have at least a basic income and take care of her.. Most of the expense is at first.. When you buy her first litter box, toys, cat tree etc.. And of course her first vet visit for all the necessary vaccinations..

After that, the only expense will be on food and yearly check ups.. 

I mean, it'll be a bit "rough" at first, to take care of the expense but after that, everything will fall into place..

It's really a good sign that your parents have started to like her! 

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I figured once we get the first month or so over with things will start going really smoothly. Hopefully she learns that when she's playing with me she can't just bite as hard as she wants [emoji]128514[/emoji]
If I had my own house and job already I would probably be bringing home as many rescue kitties as I could (without going TOO overboard). Knowing that she's had a rough life and was going to be killed, and then giving her a really good life, is super rewarding. She's the first animal that I've "rescued" (besides the litter of kittens but I don't count them since they never actually suffered anything). I'd definitely like to save some more kitties someday, when I'm financially stable lol. And I love looking at all the different things on Pinterest that you can do to turn your house into a big kitty play area! My family thinks I'm crazy

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, my mother thinks I'm crazy too, when I think of installing some shelves, boards or tunnels so that Grizzly runs up and down through the appartment 

What she doesn't know, is that I am already on it 

I am on the process of remaking my bedroom, so they will be installed 
 Once she sees the outcome, I bet she'll like it.. For now, she is in denial 

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's what I wanna do too [emoji]128514[/emoji]
My best friend wants to live with me once I get my house and she loves cats too, so I can already imagine all of the crazy cat lady stuff we'll have! Although I'll have to try as hard as I can to teach her some stuff, because she has a female cat and two males and she thinks it's okay to let them have babies over and over again just because they're pretty. And they do make cute babies but I'm like nooo you can't just keep doing that.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should go with your heart. I don't watch Grey's Anatomy so I can't understand. The only thing that matters is you both like it.

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess Sloane it is then, no one likes it but they'll get use to it!
I can hear her scratching in the litter box right now and the sound just makes me so happy givin where we started out [emoji]128513[/emoji] (Sorry weird haha)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Well I'm sure Sloane is pretty jolly happy to have landed such a wonderful home. 

I do hear you over the litterbox noise thing!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Re: your friend - You might want to make a condition of her moving in that she gets her pets fixed. Point out that all of the animals will have an easier time adjusting if they are all fixed and UTD with their shots.

You are not any crazier than most of us here. :lol3:

It is a lovely kind of crazy, too.

Last edited:

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful. So sad that people can be so cruel as to just want to destroy a life they feel has no use to them.  I would call her Pumpkin that was the name that popped into my head when I saw her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah that's what I wanna do too [emoji]128514[/emoji]
My best friend wants to live with me once I get my house and she loves cats too, so I can already imagine all of the crazy cat lady stuff we'll have! Although I'll have to try as hard as I can to teach her some stuff, because she has a female cat and two males and she thinks it's okay to let them have babies over and over again just because they're pretty. And they do make cute babies but I'm like nooo you can't just keep doing that.
Oh no, that's terrible! All those poor little kittens, what ever happens to them?

I hope you can educate your friend a little better on responsible crazy cat ladying, maybe you could take her to your local shelter so she can see how many homeless cats and kittens there are in the world already.

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so a couple of days ago Sloane kept hacking, but after a couple of minutes she would be fine, yesterday I noticed this spot that looked like she threw up, so I assumed it happened the other day when she was doing that and then I cleaned up. Today I noticed another spot, and I'm not sure if it's new or old because it's inside her cat tower, but it looks like she threw up, and it looks like there's a worm in it! Maybe it's just something she ate, but it definitely looks like a worm to me. There's nothing in her poo though, and I wormed her the day that I brought her home with Strongid. What do you think??

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If a cat has got a serious worm infestation it can take a couple of rounds of worming medicine to get rid of them all. You can take a stool sample to your vet and ask them to test for worms, they'll be able to tell you if she needs to be wormed again or not.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope not! I don't need a whole new set of problems to deal with. It was pretty lumpy though, I feel like it would be weird if I could feel kittens like that. And the vet didn't say anything. Maybe it's just her organs since she hasn't had proper nutrition, the vet squeezed all over her stomach to check for a UTI because they can feel their bladders with their hands. I don't know. But she has been using the litter box now, no accidents in the cage anymore. Should I give her access to the whole room tomorrow? I'm nervous about it, I don't want to have to start all over but I felt so bad putting her in the crate tonight
She's gorgeous.

abbygibson1212

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay. She must have had them worse than I thought, maybe that's why she looked pregnant at first.
Thanks!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my strays did that and she had worms bad the vet gave her 2 rounds of dewormer before she was clear. Get her to a vet asap.