new kitty

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So MIdnight is lonely and that's bad. Now that I'm moving to a bigger flat, I think it would be better to get her a compagion.

The question is : kitten or older cat? Midnight is about 6 months old now. She's obviously lonely and I don't want that, I want her to be happy.So... she will be getting a companion. I am thinking a rescue kitten. All advice is welcome

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great, I think all cats need a feline companion. Get a rescue cat that is about the same age as Midnight. This time of the year, you should have no problem (unfortunately) finding a kitten of compatible personality. Male or female doesn't matter.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So MIdnight is lonely and that's bad. Now that I'm moving to a bigger flat, I think it would be better to get her a compagion.

The question is : kitten or older cat? Midnight is about 6 months old now. She's obviously lonely and I don't want that, I want her to be happy.So... she will be getting a companion. I am thinking a rescue kitten. All advice is welcome
Midnight's still pretty young, so she's likely to be pretty affable with other cats if properly introduced (unless something in her history suggests otherwise). She's not too set in her ways yet. She probably still has lots and lots of play energy.

So really, I think it's more about considering what kind of cat would get along with Midnight.

An adult or a kitten could potentially do well, depending on what their history is. Kittens who have been able to socialize with their mother and litter mates are usually a good bet. An older cat who previously lived with other cats is also a good bet. If you go with an adult kitty, ask the shelter stuff to direct you towards ones who are known to do well with cats -- particularly young, energetic ones.

They have different things to offer. A kitten would be a great play mate. An older cat could be kind of an "adoptive" cat parent and give Midnight a leader to bond with.

Either one could work out great for Midnight and alleviate that sense of being lonely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm looking at the cats for rehoming at the Leicester animal rescue. Once i'm all moved in and Midnight is settled i'll look for a nice companion for her.
However I have been asked to take in my friend's  cat for him as he is considering moving to China and can't take Bob with him. Bob is 2 yrs and a half, i've known him since my friend got him. He was a feral kitten, but has been an
indoors cat for a long time. Just look at the fluffy adorableness

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a pretty kitty Bob is! Pretty young too, so he probably can keep up with Midnight, and of course it's also good that he's already familiar with you. Best of luck to you all!

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did you determine that your cat is lonely?  I adopted a cat about six months ago who seems easily bored.  We play with her a lot, and she is very playful although not a kitten.  I think we're going to adopt a companion for her, probably a kitten since kittens have the energy to keep up with her, and kittens are usually easier to introduce to a resident cat (shelter, of course!), but we both are a little nervous because Little Button is a well-adjusted cat, and we don't want to screw her up.  I suspect someone has mentioned in this forum that veterinarians generally believe cats are much more social than thought previously, but here's a link.  http://www.newyorktails.com/boredcat.htm.  Switzerland even has a law that requires cat adoptions to be for two or more cats unless the residence already has a cat.  Good for Switzerland.  Now someone do something about their laws allowing people to shoot feral cats.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've known Bob from when he was a kitten, his owner is my ex. His mother is a big feral cat, but he is indoors only. Big huge ball of fluffy purrs. He's always been a looker :)

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

How did you determine that your cat is lonely?  I adopted a cat about six months ago who seems easily bored.  We play with her a lot, and she is very playful although not a kitten.  I think we're going to adopt a companion for her, probably a kitten since kittens have the energy to keep up with her, and kittens are usually easier to introduce to a resident cat (shelter, of course!), but we both are a little nervous because Little Button is a well-adjusted cat, and we don't want to screw her up.  I suspect someone has mentioned in this forum that veterinarians generally believe cats are much more social than thought previously, but here's a link.  http://www.newyorktails.com/boredcat.htm.  Switzerland even has a law that requires cat adoptions to be for two or more cats unless the residence already has a cat.  Good for Switzerland.  Now someone do something about their laws allowing people to shoot feral cats.
she cries if i go out of her sight. She needs to be near me at all times. she refuses to play with her toys...

The UK is working on a law to ban the shooting of feral cats.