New kitty, too playful

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of you knows that I have a newly adopted kitty, I'm glad that Max (new kitty) is doing great, he gained weight and already developed a very nice shiny coat.

My problem is that Max is being too playful, I rarely see him sleeping. His relationship with Charlie is good, they are playing too, but Max always wants to play with Charlie's tail where Charlie gets really mad. The worst thing is that I was petting him just 2 hours ago, then Max came to play his tail, then suddenly Charlie would hit Max but to bad that it was me who was being hit. It created a deep scar on my nose...

It feels like I would like to cry, it's my birthday today and something really bad happened.

I know Charlie's behavior, Charlie is always saying "do not touch my tail or belly!" What should I do with to stop him playing Charlie's tail?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's young and EVERYTHING is a toy! Distract him with another toy when he goes for the tail or relocate him. Or, move the other kitty's tail and tell him "NO" firmly so that he'll get the idea that it's not a toy. (Good luck on that one!) However, the offended cat will get the message across to him by growling and "telling him off".

We have this situation on a daily basis in my house. Tumbles STILL has not learned and it's the one thing that Callie will growl at him over.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your nose was just scratched, it couldn't have scarred yet.
Make sure to use an antibiotic ointment on it, keep it clean, and once it's healed up if it looks like it's going to scar try a little vitamin E oil on it or a scar reducing cream. (don't let cats get a hold of the vitamin E though, it can make them very sick)

Get a laser point, a wand toy like Da Bird, or even a wider cloth ribbon (look in holiday wrapping section of a store for cheap cloth ribbon - remove any wire from it if it has any). Play with Max as much as you can to wear him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie's growling at him and he'd even hit Max but Max doesn't really care! Actually he has his own toy but every time he saw Charlie's tail moving, he will play. Actually Charlie has learned to stay on top of the refrigerator to get away from him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

Actually Charlie has learned to stay on top of the refrigerator to get away from him.
...that's not good. Charlie sounds stressed out by this new cat.

And Max may have some toys, but young cats like to play with other cats - or people. They're more stimulated by movement. So you have to actually play with Max.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is really nothing you can do to stop a kitten from playing with something wiggling
Frankly, I don't think you should try. He needs to know playing is a good thing.

Your older kitty will take care of it since you can't always be around. As he gets older, he will calm down.

Don't get in the middle of these play sessions. It's great they get along like you say most of the time. I'd give anything if all my cats got along like that.

Hope your nose gets better. Stand back and enjoy your cats and try not to worry. He will get the message of what is a toy and what isn't.

PS....Happy Birthday!!!!

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Your nose was just scratched, it couldn't have scarred yet.
Make sure to use an antibiotic ointment on it, keep it clean, and once it's healed up if it looks like it's going to scar try a little vitamin E oil on it or a scar reducing cream. (don't let cats get a hold of the vitamin E though, it can make them very sick)

Get a laser point, a wand toy like Da Bird, or even a wider cloth ribbon (look in holiday wrapping section of a store for cheap cloth ribbon - remove any wire from it if it has any). Play with Max as much as you can to wear him out.
LOL yes it's not yet scarred, I wish it won't make me ugly

Thanks for advice, I'll try that

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

...that's not good. Charlie sounds stressed out by this new cat.

And Max may have some toys, but young cats like to play with other cats - or people. They're more stimulated by movement. So you have to actually play with Max.
You're right, I can feel that he is stressed out and I'm worried that when he is fed up, he'd leave me
(I'm being paranoid) because the little kitty already learned how to get on top of the wardrobe (Charlie's former hideout).

Thank you farleyv for your greeting

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To help Charlie de-stress, try to run a feliway diffuser. That should help some. Also provide him some other "safe places" so he can have refuges and hiding places.

It seems like Max is really trying to befriend Charlie and is trying to do everything Charlie's doing. It can be irritating for the older cat (Charlie), but if you help distract Max, it will help Charlie chill out.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thank you to all of you, toys are just fine. I made a cat toy from an old stuffed toy, I put a string on it and hang it somewhere in our house. Though Max sometimes still chase Charlie

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most kittens eventually get the point of what they can and can't do to the resident cat. Maude ended up taking both Attitude and Nuts' entire heads into her mouth(at seperate times) when they really made her mad. Attitude wanted to be on Paul's lap and Maude was already here so Attitude kept stuffing her tail into Maude's mouth so she couldn't hiss at her. Maude opened her mouth took Attitude's entire head into it(which fit) and got her point across. Can't remember what Nuts was doing but I think he's slightly retarded since he never did quite get the point with Maude, Mama, or Attitude. I think little boy cats try too hard to be friends and go about it the wrong way. Mama will still sometimes smack some sense into Runt when he annoys her(he's the same age as Nuts.) Of course Mama also enjoys smacking her grandkids(except Half-tail, I'm wondering if she's Mama's daughter instead of granddaughter) and Blue so that could just be her.

Give Charlie his own special kitten free area so he can destress and get some Feliway since it sounds like the little one has him stressed.

Taryn