New Kitty Playing With Dog - Advice Needed

Stacym315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How can I train my kitty to use soft paws and no claws when playing with my dogs? I recently adopted a kitty born to a ferral mom. In less than a week home he has adapted to the litter pan, indoor living and socializes extremely well. He has no issues being handled and is friendly with my dogs. I have two 6 year old Chihuahuas that are not very active players, but mostly enjoy cuddles and relaxing. None of the animals seem shy or scared of each other. Kitty is learning his manners with what toys are acceptable and scratching on posts. And occassionlly bats at the dogs. His mannerisms are clearly playful and the dogs show no aggression back, they mostly just want to sniff him but in the excitement I often see claws come out and I worry about him unintentionally scratching the dog, specifically their face/eyes. Is there anything I can do to reinforce soft paws when engaging in play with dogs?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can reinforce it when the kitten is playing with you by overreacting with a loud "NO" and withdrawing attention for a few seconds. That way the kitten gets the idea that when claws come out the playing and attention ends. It might not translate to interactions with the dogs if they don't react. However, the dogs should be able to teach the kitten boundaries too if the kitten pushes them too far. Scratches may occur but in my experience the eyes are such small targets and usually kittens in play won't directly go for the face.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chihuahuas are scrappy, little dogs. Some people might not think so but most Chihuahuas I have seen know how to give as much as they get.

Don't forget that, when it comes to animals and humans, there is more of a size differential but, for cats and Chihuahuas that's not so much of an issue.

Just keep an eye on them. They will work out their boundaries on their own.