New kitty ! Old cat isnt happy

tjdank95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our resident cat is a 2yr male who got neutered today. Very bad idea not to get it done when he was younger from the old owner

Anyway w've had the new 2month old kitten for a week now and she lives in our room. Leo(our boy) seems to know that kong(kitten) is a female and was very unhappy at the fact a new cat has arrived. First few days leo would cry and cry more and not eat as much but now hes wanting to come into our room more and more and since he got neutered today it was abit worse.
Leo doesnt hiss or anything but is very very cautious and trys to pounce when he gets the chance.

Is this because he is a adult male and he knows kong is a female ?!
Will they not become friends ?:(
And is what im doing the correct way of introducing them ?
Giving them time everyday to see each other smell each other etc.
Kong doesnt mind ! She thinks leos just another play mate but leo doesnt think the same way.
And also when leo comes into our room he always usues kkongs litter box!
Is that to mark his territory ?

Im uploading this thread via my phone so i know its very unorganised and it might be abit hard to understand how ive worded things!
But any help would be great.
Thanks so much guys

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

It's pretty common for resident cats to be unsure about a new cat's arrival, and the timing regarding the neutering isn't ideal. Having said that, it doesn't sound like there's anything too major going on so far.

These articles should help explain the introduction process in detail. The main thing to remember is go slow and let the cats tell you when they're ready to move forward. There is no timescale - it'll take as long as it takes ;) [article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="32804"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article]

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the female fixed too? I am not sure if this is true but going by my experience, my cats know when the other isn't fixed and it makes them seem to like the new cat less. My Maple (a girl) hissed and growled at Penelopy every single day until the day Penelopy was spayed. Since then, I've not heard any growling or hissing at all. I was shocked.

I'm not saying they are good friends - Maple isn't good friends with anyone, lol. But she stopped growling and hissing.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
At 2 months old, the kitten is a little young to be spayed @Donutte
D'oh! Missed that part. 

I'll rephrase - there is still hope! :) As was stated earlier though, just need to give it time. And I had to wait until three weeks after I adopted Penelopy to get her spayed (even though she is 3 years old) as I had to go by the shelter's schedule. 

I will share some experience though in terms of my kitties getting along. My one kitten absolutely hated Penelopy when we first got her. He just hissed and growled at her so much. I told him he was too young to have so much hate in his little body! Then I decided to break out the fishbone on a string toy. The boys were there and Penelopy was under the bed watching. The two boys were having a blast and eventually, Penelopy came out and had a blast too. They even got to the point there were jumping and landing on each other without any hissing. It was really a beautiful thing :) 

And when I got my kittens, they were 8 weeks old. I had a bunch of older kitties at home. It was ironically my little ol' man (who was 16) that ended up playing with them. The two girls (both 13) had no interest. I think even with Lucky though, it took over a week before he even approached them on his own.