new kitty not feeling well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We will surely spend the money on essentials like feliway and quality food and of course medical expenses but trying to save money for further treatment that Hobbes may need.
Laurie, thanks for all the advice- we plan to do the scent swapping and then the door wedge followed by the vanilla trick and getting them in for some play/ treat time. But it's surely 1 step at a time.

I am actually spending more time outside Hobbes's room than inside but Calvin is just not used to it. He's moping around. He's getting love and treats. But he is a tad spoilt.

Btw, I'm in hobbes's room for the night and he's bouncing off the walls. He's sooooo playful - it's crazy. This tells me he's feeling better now.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night did not go as smooth. Calvin usually is on the 2nd floor bedroom with us at night. Night before yesterday he really did not realize that I was not in bed since he does not sleep in bed with us. He realized it in the morning when he came over and was visibly upset. Yesterday I spent sometime in the afternoon with Hobbes and Calvin did not like it. Then last night he realized again that I was not in my bed. So he stood crying in front of Hobbes's room. DH and I had to take a decision and we do not know if we did the right thing or not but I left Hobbes alone for the night and came to sleep in my bed. Had a night light on but in the hurry forgot to turn on the radio. I did spend an hour or so in bed with Hobbes but we did not want Calvin as upset as he was. This is just heart breaking and I could not help but why. Why am I having to choose between the babies? Aaarrrggghhhh! this is so frustrating. I think we will start doing some intro this evening.
A question: If we wedge open the door to Hobbes's room an inch and Calvin hisses, do it just still keep it that way, hoping that at 1 point hissing will stop?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is hard, but I think you did the right thing. When we were intro'ing Chumley, he was next door in a trailer because we have no way to separate in the RV. We'd spend lots of time over there during the day - and he definitely didn't like to see us leave - but we never spent the night over there. If your being out of bed was upsetting Calvin that much, it's Hobbes that needs to do the adjusting. Yes, having to choose between them is heart breaking - but remember, this is "transition phase," and it DOES END. It may be a week, it may be a couple of months - that will be up to Calvin. But it won't be indefinite. And whenever you have to make a choice, unless someone's health is involved, the choice must favor Calvin.

As to the door.... I'd only leave it open when someone's around. I'm not sure a wedge would stop a determined kitty LOL.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Hobbes. The vet just called and said he has Coccidia but grade 1. He wanted to know if Hobbes has diarrhea and I said no. He does not want to put Hobbes on any other medication just yet. In case he ends up having diarrhea, then we'll go from there. So how does this change things for us, now? The vet feels that as long as Calvin does not lick Hobbes's butt much, it should be ok. I do not think Calvin is ready for butt licking yet.
I will check to see what info I find on coccidia in the forum. Anyone with any information, please share.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Calvin&I

I do not think Calvin is ready for butt licking yet.

My only concern is if it can be transmitted through the litter box. If Calvin was to step in Hobbes' poop while digging in the box and then lick it off his paw could he get it?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coccidia is a toughie, and it can only be killed with ammonia. I would avoid sharing litter boxes, and clean Hobbes's box regularly with ammonia.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not know enough about cat behavior and so I assumed they'll use their own litterboxes. They are separated now but we will arrange a limited, supervised meeting soon-ish. I was planning to keep Hobbes's litterbox in his room and Calvin's in his for a while and then moving Hobbes's to Calvin's closet (we have converted an empty closet where we keep Calvin's litter box). Is there a chance they were be interested in the other's litter box? Oh boy, this is going to be tough.

I do not mind the ammonia cleaning but for how long? He does not have diarrhea yet and the vet said it was grade 1 and he thinks it should resolve on its own. Perhaps a repeat fecal parasite test will be necessary.

But really, I don't know if all this is normal getting a kitty from a foster home. He let out 1 sneeze when we went to visit Hobbes and other kitties were sneezing. I was expecting an URI but we could not come away without him. Plus he has a grade 3 murmur, which was undetected and now coccidia. I understand that some are stress induced but I just do not think the overcrowded foster home is able to take care of the kitties well. Calvin came from a foster home which was way way better and it really shows. At times we feel we rescued Hobbes from a rescue. We just want him to become healthy and happy in his forever home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coccidia is one of those things that we in the U.S. do not have a drug to cure. Cats are given drugs to suppress it until their own immune system can control it. It may come back under stress in the future, and it isn't unusual in cats; some say it may be as common as the feline herpes virus.

There IS a drug that will kill coccidia available in Australia. Technically, it is also used in the US, too, but only for chickens. It's called Baycox, by the Bayer company.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, in most cat worlds, there is no "yours" and "mine." Litter boxes are litter boxes. In fact, some cats are obsessed, and patrol them all. If Calvin's real territorial, he may feel the need to go pee over Hobbes' pee & etc.

What I don't know is.... since its his immune system that suppresses it - is it still shed in his poop? So at some point won't Calvin be exposed to it anyway? Won't his immune system have to manage it anyway?
I know that's what happened with our Flowerbelle and her herpes. Everyone is exposed to it, period. No one (so far, knock wood) has ever had a flare-up - so I don't know if the virus is in their system and they're just strong enough to fight it or what.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is definitely a lot I need to ask the vet. Seems likely that Calvin will be exposed at some point - that is if they do not kill each other before then

At least both the boys are on Lysine - thanks to many of you for suggesting that. Hopefully that will help their immune system.