New Kitty Behavior Hard to Figure Out! Help!

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is long, but I think if you're interested in cat behavior you might find my story worth reading. I'd love input! I'm stumped.

My background: I've studied animal behavior. I've had cats for 38 years, dogs my entire life. I've worked in clinics, at shelters, as a groomer & trainer. I'm an expert at introducing new animals, bringing animals home, training kittens, puppies, behavior modification, bringing in older cats. But I have no idea what to do with my current cat.

I just adopted Luna (approx 1 yr) and Porter (approx 16 months). They didn't come from the same cage but completely accepted each other immediately. There wasn't so much as a raised hair when they met. They were both fixed before I brought them home.

When we met, Luna took to my husband immediately. She curled right up on him and that was it. Each time we visited before we took them home, she'd do the same thing. When we brought them home, she had no interest in anything except laying in his lap and eating huge amounts of food at a time.

The day after we brought them home I took her to the vet- I had a feeling there was more to her story than just wanting to cuddle with hubby - and lo and behold, she had worms, an eye infection and a virus. That, plus the fact that she was fixed & got all her shots on the same day is probably what made her so lethargic. She got her worm & eye meds, and was sent home.

Within a day she no longer wanted to lay in hubby's lap; she felt so much better she actually started showing interest in the house. She's not shy but was a little reserved at first. Still, all she wanted to do was eat. And eat. We thought it was the worms and in a week she wouldn't need as much food.

Well, it's been 2 weeks. I've never seen a cat like this. I"m trying to figure out her past (she came from a shelter so there are a lot of unknowns) to figure out her behavior. I need help. I've spent a lot of time obeserving her and getting to know her. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even still, I don't know if she's just in a shell, is a 'special needs" kitty or just the most "Cat" cat I've ever met!

Here's who she is right now:

She can hear but does not come when she's called and does not make a peep unless she wants food. She doesn't purr. She doesn't "do the figure 8" at my feet, or rub up against my leg. She does not solicit love, praise or play. She only solicits food.

At night, I'll put her on the bed and she'll knead like crazy and softly purr (you have to put your ear up to her side to hear her), and when she lays down she likes to be stroked on her sides around her teats. She was obviously a mom cat recently and has distended nipples. In the morning she'll stand between us and purr, but that's the extent of her cuddling. She sits on a dining room chair 23 hours a day. When she walks by Porter, he'll sometimes jump on her, bite her neck, bat at her, trying to solicit play, and she'll either just stand there totally ignoring him or on the very rare occasion will take him up on it and play chase for 5 minutes max- no longer.

She doesn't respond to any type of ball, noise maker, crackly toy or bouncy toy. She'll grab at a string-like toy if it's close enough; otherwise she'll just watch it. The only thing she has any interest in is her food bowl.

Every time hubby or I pet her, she jumps up and goes to the food bowl and starts eating. Every time I put her in another room, she goes to where the food bowl should be in that room. She'll be sound asleep; I'll pick her up, take her to another room, cuddle her in a blanket, and she jumps up and goes to the food bowl. She'll have just eaten - she'll eat for 5, 10 minutes straight - walk away from the bowl, use the box, start to clean herself - and if I walk in the room she goes back to the food bowl and starts eating again.

I've started taking up the bowl and I feed Porter in private. If she sees him eating she goes to the bowl and non-aggressively pushes him away so she can eat. She's incredibly mellow; she just is totally focused on food.

The vet & I concur she's at a perfect weight. She's gotten a belly in the last 2 weeks she's eating so much, but she's a lanky girl so anything extra really shows on her.

She's learning where her scratchers are (I've never had a cat scratch furniture and I never will!), she understands no, she doesn't shy away from you, she likes being pet on her sides, she'll rub her mouth on my fingers; so I know she's content and has brains but...

My hypothesis:

She was raised virtually alone with no social interaction between people or other cats. She's had babies, so she has patience (allowing Porter to jump all over her) and affection (loves having her sides and belly stroked). She's never had anyone to play with. SHe's never had anyone talk to her. Food was her only connection with the rest of the world.

Does anyone have a different opinion?

My problem is this: I want to engage her. I want to see her show interest in her surroundings, in her mate, in her people. I'd like to see her run and jump and play. I'd like to "see her brain work." I'd like to be able to leave food out so Porter can eat but I'm afraid she's going to gorge herself to death if I do.

What I'm doing: Today (2 weeks ago I brought her home) I've locked the cats in my office with me. Porter hangs out with me anyway. She's comfortable lying in the chair she first slept in when I brought her home. I'm doing this 1)to get her off the dining room chair/give her a new perspective and 2) to stimulate her brain more because in here there's the sound of the TV, lights are on, I'm busy in the room, I can periodically touch her, etc.

She's more active at night (when I bring her up to go to bed), so I get on the floor with her with a string toy and just move it back and forth so she can grab at it; she loses interest in about 10 minutes but hey it's something! Porter cannot ignore a moving object, so hubby takes him to another room to play because she will just sit there if he plays. The two will then bat at each other under the bed, run under the curtains, etc., for a few minutes before it's lights out.

When she goes to where the bowl should be I pick her up and love on her and tell her "no food, good girl". She lets me love on her - she knows her food source, after all! - but when I put her down she goes right back to where the bowl should be. I put the bowl down when she's not asking for it. I tell her "no, no food" in a nice way when she sits there. If she meows for it I then put the bowl down. I'm trying to encourage some vocalization because she's so dang quiet.

So... that's what I'm doing. I'm playing the way she wants to play, I'm not crowding her or yelling at her. I'm not rough or loud. I'm not really withholding food - the dang thing will eat as much as a St Bernard, if I let her! - and I'm trying to stimulate her a little by keeping her in "active" rooms. (But I can only do that during the day; the family room is a loft so at night I can't confine her with us.)

Am I doing the right things? Should I be doing something else? Because she's a year old, is there a possibility that this is how she's going to be? My experience with young cats is not nearly as extensive as with dogs. I know you can repair a lot of the damage done to a puppy - but can you do the same with a cat?

She's really a sweet girl. She's obviously been cared for. But she is the most devoid of personality animal I've ever met!

Any advice & observations are welcome!!

thanks

lunasmom

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs time to adjust to a world of stimulii from a world of nothing. It can take a long time and two weeks really isn't very long. If she was kept without contact other than feeding time, it may take longer to adjust. I think you are on the right track keeping her close, so just talk to her now and then, the odd pat or rub and keep the tv going.

As to being silent, no biggie, some cats just are - have a pair of littermates here, and their older sister and one is a blabblermouth, his brother and sister are silent and in 5 years, I have heard the sister make only mostly one sound - PAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. She hisses, she hisses when she wants attention, food, anything, have only heard her meow once or twice and it is barely audible. The brother, nothing in 4 years, not a hiss, not a meow, nada, but he will sit there and open and close his mouth at me. All three were born and raised here, all treated the same, so go figure how you get two mostly silent cats and one blabbermouth. Now, I have heard the two silent ones yell at other cats but nothing more. They also purr very quietly, can feel the vibration but can't hear much.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. the ole " sit in hubby's lap" trick!
She got you to take her home and take care of her, didn't she????

It does sound as if she wasn't properly socialized. I am sure you have considered that her eating issue may be due to being starved at some point in her life?

I have two fosters.. sorry, make that three fosters who have what I consider to have deficiency issues. Socially backwards, cannot properly interpret other cats' friendly signals, don't know how to interact properly with other cats and in many instances... people.

Time and patience are great healers for these "wounded" cats. There are intrinsic personality issues ... hardwired either through genetics or enviroment or both...so.....

She may never be the lovey lap cat that you desire but as she learns to trust and get comfortable.. and it sounds like she's starting... she may approach you more and more for affection.

I have one foster boy - a little tuxedo named Tex. He came into a high kill pound as a stray. He was terribly sweet in his cage, calling to me and rubbing on the bars. Etc. A different story when I got him in the house.

HE is the MOST food motivated kitty I have ever seen... he is a scarf-n-barf with wet food... sooooooo fast he brings it back up. He doesn't purr. He grunts. He HATED being handled. HATED IT!!! This was six months ago. He is still "Tex" but a speed bump bowl has helped with the gobbling, he plays pretty well with the other cats - still misinterprets their communication - he SEEKS US OUT... in his own goofy way - for skritches and pets and is much, much more comfortable with being cuddled and held. I think he actually likes it now.

He and another cat- Jake - will have mutal wash up sessions on the sofa. So cute!

I have said repeatedly to my boyfriend that I wondered if anyone ever showed Tex love - the petting, cuddling, cooing talk, etc.

Another one - Ghost - I refer to as my mildly autistic kitty.

Casper had to be taught not to communicate with me with his teeth!

I talked to vet about this and she thinks kittens taken from mom and siblings too soon can suffer a kind of brain damage from the nutritional and social deprivation.

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It might take you a while to involve Luna in games.

When our Calico followed us home and adopted us she didn't play either. It took about a month of experimenting and trying things out before she grasped the concept of playing. Even now her kittens will zoom by and snag her toy while she's still considering what to do with the thing.

At first she only was interested in "food toys". For example I took a tiny strip of meat that looked like a string and dragged it around. Once she got the idea I started swapping it out for a regular string toy.

She only will play with toys that are just the right size, too big and she gets scared, too small and she doesn't react. I also had more luck playing with her in her "active hours". She seemed to be into playing at 11:30 PM and 5 AM.

I believe that cats don't necessarily come when you call them. Once they recognize their name you can get their attention BUT you are soliciting their attention, and if they find something of interest about you they will come, if not tough luck.

Good luck with your kitty, I'm sure that with some time her personality will open up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She sounds like she was starved at some point in her life. But if she is not afraid of humans and was instantly OK with another cat, then I suspect she is not under socialized.

Her behavior reminds me of a cat that came out of a hoarder's house. This cat craved human attention at first, was OK with other cats (as she lived with a lot of them), but went nuts for food. The hoarder didn't always feed them and she was an opportunistic eater, as food was rare in her past. She also didn't know how to play with toys because she hadn't been exposed to them before.

I suggest that until she gets fully adjusted (could be months), that you start a very fixed feeding routine with her and don't leave food out. She has to gain confidence that food will always be made available to her, but only at certain times of the day. Once she adapts, you can start to free feed. I free feed, but all of mine start tapping me about 7PM each night for their wet food dinner. She might do very well with a fixed routine for a while.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

She sounds like she was starved at some point in her life. But if she is not afraid of humans and was instantly OK with another cat, then I suspect she is not under socialized.

Her behavior reminds me of a cat that came out of a hoarder's house. This cat craved human attention at first, was OK with other cats (as she lived with a lot of them), but went nuts for food. The hoarder didn't always feed them and she was an opportunistic eater, as food was rare in her past. She also didn't know how to play with toys because she hadn't been exposed to them before.

I suggest that until she gets fully adjusted (could be months), that you start a very fixed feeding routine with her and don't leave food out. She has to gain confidence that food will always be made available to her, but only at certain times of the day. Once she adapts, you can start to free feed. I free feed, but all of mine start tapping me about 7PM each night for their wet food dinner. She might do very well with a fixed routine for a while.
Definitely. I aquired my kitty Missy from a very elderly woman. I'm not sure if she was too sickly to care for Missy and her daughter Callie, who I also took in, or if she was getting senile and just forgot she had them. They were kept in a seperate room, their litterboxes seldom cleaned and food bowls rarely filled. After 6, almost 7 months Missy still eats like she's not sure there will be food tomorrow. I've watched her, and she'll eat for twenty minutes straight until she vomits right in the bowl, then she will eat the vomit and continue to eat more. I have tried feeding on a schedule but my other cats are used to free feeding and freaked out when the bowl was suddenly gone. If I see her binging I try to distract her by giving affection and it usually works but I can't watch her 24/7 and judging by her weight she is still binging when I'm not around. I'm not sure how to convince her that she doesn't have to eat a week's worth of food in one sitting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don't know if I"m replying correctly... I'm new here --

Thank you all so much for your quick responses. They are all so helpful! It's reassuring to know I'm on the right track.

I kept Luna and Porter in my office all morning and let them out for lunch. After they ate & I put the bowl back up, I called her and she started to trot to me - ! a first! - and Porter jumped her to play. Dang! Well I scolded him and then she didn't want anything to do with us so I went back to my office.

A while later I felt the "cat chair" next to mine move. I thought it was Porter, who'd been sitting there earlier. I looked over, and it was Luna!!! I was so happy!! And, she stayed there only as long as I stayed in the room! Yea! She wanted to be with me!

That night she was affectionate (in her way) with me & hubby, and then this morning, when I was in the bathroom, she came in purring to say good morning and get some love - and there was food right there for her, so she wasn't soliciting for food! I was so happy you have no idea.

Phew... she is obviously a challenge but I feel much more confident about my abilities at bringing her around now! Thank you so much for your advice.

I won't be free feeding except at night when we're not around to stimulate her. Hubby and I are splitting up play times between them because Porter really dominates.

thanks again -

lunasmom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mira's_mommy

I'm not sure how to convince her that she doesn't have to eat a week's worth of food in one sitting.
Hey M,

In the clinics I've worked in, the vets prescribed antidepressants to help animals with bulimia and anorexia. Maybe giving her something like that for a short while will help her. The poor thing!

There are also feeders that have timers on them. They're pretty expensive but my daughter in law said it was the only way to leave food out for her kitty, because she gorges.

Luckily Luna only eats like that when someone's around, so I'm just breaking her of the people=food=love equation.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it. 2 weeks isn't much time. As I said, Tex would panic if you picked him up. Now he's oookkaaaayyy... with it... He will even jump up the arm of the chair where my BF is sitting and stare right into his face as if to say - GIVE.... ME....LOOOOOVE!!!!!!!